PDA

View Full Version : Female training

socaris2000
06-29-2004, 03:53 PM
Hi guys,

I need some basic knowledge on female training.

Background story:

My sister (she's 15 now), wants to start training. She used to be obese and by some cardio and changing her nutrition habits I helped her to lose lots of fat and she's now let's say inbetween lean and chubby. Funny thing, all girls in her school were bothering her for months "what diet did you go on?". She tells them all "I didn't, It was excercise and healthy nutrition". And they're all like "no really what diet did you go on?". Damn I feel like blowing up all those teeny female mags that brainwash teen girls into starving.... anyhow... enough of my litlle rant.

Back to my sister. The thing is I have no clue about female training whatsoever and if its any different from male training. So I guess that would be a good start.

If you could all share some tips on what would be differenf if anything.

But the question that bugs me most is... well I know its true that for men is most recommendable to either cut or gain mass.

What I was wondering was if for her I could make a litlle program where she would at the same time lean up and tone up (add a litlle muscle)? She's a begginer remember.

And if the answer is she has to first lean up and then start toning... What use would the weight training be of? Just to keep muscle from being wasted from the cardio or not at all?

Ok I know this post is a big long and confused. But that's what happens when I think of my lil' sis. Thanks all.

hotgymchick
06-29-2004, 09:11 PM
"Female" training is no different than male training. At 15, I find that a bit young to begin weights. I would try using machines and resistance bands.

moody_weasel
06-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by socaris2000
My sister (she's 15 now), wants to start training. She used to be obese and by some cardio and changing her nutrition habits I helped her to lose lots of fat and she's now let's say inbetween lean and chubby. Funny thing, all girls in her school were bothering her for months "what diet did you go on?". She tells them all "I didn't, It was excercise and healthy nutrition". And they're all like "no really what diet did you go on?". Damn I feel like blowing up all those teeny female mags that brainwash teen girls into starving....

I hear ya.
Like hotgymchick wrote, women can train the same way as men. I can't say if your sister is too young to start with weights it really depends on the individual.
A friend of mine has his 13-year-old daughter train at his gym (no free weights).
Anyway, machines, restistance bands or bodyweight only exercises are definitely OK.

If you're looking for some good bodyweight only workouts I recommend this site:

http://www.trainforstrength.com/workouts.shtml

About the best way to lean up and gain muscle mass at the same time I'd say that since your sister is a beginner that is probably what is going to happen for the first 6 to 8 months anyway - beginner's luck. Just don't let her overdo it on the cardio. :)

socaris2000
06-30-2004, 01:34 AM
Thanks moody. Appreacite it :D

When you say it's advisable that she use no weights that includes dumbbells? Because there are some VERY light DBs in our gym, about 0.25 kg and 0.5 kg.

imperfectly_lou
06-30-2004, 04:59 AM
I guess she could use those really light DBs to learn correct form, but I would actually stick to lots of bodyweight exercises at this time...... you could do lots of push ups, plyometrics etc..

The other alternative is to get her into a Body Pump class if a gym nearby offers them. I started that when I was about the same age.

bscrusher
06-30-2004, 07:57 AM
there is no evidence that the use of freeweights is inherently harmful to anyone at any age. on the contrary, there is an infinite deluge of evidence that confirms the use of free weights is inherently beneficial to all persons of all ages. do some research people, and stop repeating old wives tales.

moody_weasel
06-30-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by bscrusher
there is no evidence that the use of freeweights is inherently harmful to anyone at any age. on the contrary, there is an infinite deluge of evidence that confirms the use of free weights is inherently beneficial to all persons of all ages. do some research people, and stop repeating old wives tales.

I just think it depends on the individual. Telling a 14 year-old kid with more chesthair than Sean Connery that he shouldn't train with weights because he is 'too young' would be kind of silly. ;)

Solaris, I don't see a problem with using dumbbells, one of the workouts on the trainforstrength.com site (the Swings and Sprints) uses dumbbells, yet it is mainly a bodyweight workout.
Maybe you should suggest some things to your sister and see what she likes. If she'd rather try a weight routine instead of a bodyweight workout then let her try one.