PDA

View Full Version : Serious runners, where are you guys?

Cuz Ripped
05-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Well here is the break down. I've been playing competitive sports for a long time now. travel soccer, hockey and basketball. I use to love track as well and was never a really fast guy so i ran long distance. Through most of my youth i was in excellent condition and it was something i took pride in. That was until i broke my wrist and then soon after my collar bone in this years hockey season and i haven't really been active for 7-8 months.

I would really like to get into running now to get back in great shape, and also because it is a habit i want to carry into my adult life to really stay healthy. Anyone here run either for sports or actual long distance marathons? I would like some advice on a good "training program" so to speak and i also wouldn't mind comparing some times so i can see where i'm at and just how out of shape i am lol.

adov9
05-29-2007, 06:04 AM
If you havn't been active for 7-8 months you're going to want to ease into running. Probably the most important thing though is to make sure you have good running sneakers. Not cross trainers or basketball shoes, etc. If you don't have running shoes then make sure you go out and buy some before you start running, and try to buy them at a running store so that the employees there can help you find the right shoe for your feet and style of running. After you do that you should just go out for short runs maybe 3 days a week at a relaxed pace just to get your body used to running. You should do that for at least 2 weeks before you start increasing distance at all.

T1tleist
05-29-2007, 08:05 AM
I?m not sure what ability level your at so take the distances and modify them to fit you. I am going to assume you can run 5k with no problems. To start out here is a simple program.

Monday: Tempo run 30min
Tuesday: Easy 6 miles
Wednesday: sprints 6x400
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 7 Miles
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: 30min Hills

Every week add 1 mile to Fridays run.

farzamk
05-29-2007, 04:01 PM
The above program is pretty good ^^^^ and we use a similar program for our distance runners.

I recommen however you start off easier with about 5km light, then walk for 400-800m and then repeat for little light jog for 10 minutes. Stretch completely after for 20 minutes.

Also do some body weight exercises after because you want your muscles to get going.

Make sure you are regularly doing abdominal exercises as well.

After about 2 weeks of light training involving lots of light jogs, get into to that program right above.

trivium9
05-29-2007, 04:41 PM
For starting back the program seems alittle steep but just cut back the distances a bit and it should be fine.
When I started to get into running I ran to a certain spot on the trail, every day I ran alittle past that place. Everyday I ran I just went alittle further and tried running 10-15 secs faster. After a few weeks I noticed alot of improvements.