PDA

View Full Version : Doing so much and seeing nothing

beaner1
06-27-2004, 06:00 AM
I'm really unsure which way to go with this, but have some deadline's on my physique.
I weigh 139, 5'2", 26%BF
I run 3-4 miles in the mornings about 3-4 a week
Lift about 4-5 a week
Do an aerobic circuit/interval class 4x a week in the evening

My diet is usually:
Breakfast
-Oatmeal with natural peanut butter 1 1/2 servings
Lunch
-chicken breast and maybe an apple, mostly just the chicken
Snack
-protein shake with water
Dinner
-either a protein shake with milk and banana or chicken and vegetables

I believe I'm not eating enough, but I'm having a problem with knowing what to eat in the day that I won't get sick of, or run out so fast that I'll turn to some carbs.
I'm sick of tuna fo lunches..

I also have a day or meal where I'm not perfect in what I eat, have a dessert, eat some pasta..something..but it kills me and whacks me right back to where I started. I believe I have to do 2 cardio sessions a day, weight train, and eat perfect or my body does not respond.
I have to limit carbs and sugar as it doesn't go well with me and leaning out, that's what I only try and have oatmeal in the morning.

SO, I'm so frustrated. I can't get leaner. What are some good ideas of the mid day snacks and lunches.
What are some ideas to what I might be doing wrong?

I have 2 months and feel I can find a way in that time frame.

hotgymchick
06-27-2004, 08:38 AM
Two cardio sessions a day is completely overtraining. Your body is breaking down muscle and holding on to fat. CUT THE CARDIO!

Alicat
06-27-2004, 09:24 AM
Bump - def. too much cardio.

trnurbdy48
06-27-2004, 10:48 AM
As Hot and Ali said, reduce the cardio. Three days a week of 45-60 minute anerobic (weight) training sessions and two 20 minute aerobic sessions is more than enough. Don't substitute protein drinks for a nutriionally balanced meal. I see no vegetables in your diet. Low carb does not mean no fruits and vegetables. Many fruits (bananas are NOT one) have a very low GI index and are high in fiber and nutrients. Vegetables (especially green) are an absolute necessity in a nutritionally balanced diet. You have to feed the machine (your body) for the machine to operate at optimum potential. If you starve, your body will react by seeking the path of least resistance (Clark's Law) and hold on to fat deposits for fuel. Fat is essential to a weight/bf loss program. Healthy fats include Omega's 3,6,9, Flax, extra virgin olive oil, nuts, grains, Salmon is at the top of the list, albacore a close second. For a snack have some FF or lowfat Cottage cheese with fruit, some nuts, they now have a low-carb, low fat yogurt. A peice of string cheese with 1/2 an apple. There are literally hundreds of ideas on this site. Look around and you'll see some wonderful ideas!

Emma-Leigh
06-28-2004, 03:27 AM
Welcome :)

Originally posted by beaner1
I'm really unsure which way to go with this, but have some deadline's on my physique.
I weigh 139, 5'2", 26%BF
I run 3-4 miles in the mornings about 3-4 a week
Lift about 4-5 a week
Do an aerobic circuit/interval class 4x a week in the evening
Eeeppp.. Bump on the girls advice so fat - This is WAY too much, esp in terms of cardio. If you stress your body in this way the last thing it will want to do is to drop fat. Fat (to the body) is a great survival tool - it keeps you warm and provides you will a 'safety net' in terms of energy supply.

You should probably tone the cardio down - start to drop it back. You are probably best to do this a little at a time (to let your body adjust) but take off one to two cardio sessions a week (so, during the first week drop two evening sessions, the next week drop the other two). This will leave you with 3 to 4 morning sessions/week, which is probably enough.

You then need to focus on your weight training - What type of training are you doing? How hard are you lifting? What type of exercises? The key to weight loss is to maximise your muscle mass and to stimulate it sufficiently - this is what creates an 'energy sink' and it will (eventually) lead you to a leaner body. But it will take time! - Don't expect results overnight. A healthy weight loss for someone who is not overly obese (and you are not that overweight at all so you really should not be so hard on yourself!) is about 1 - 2 pounds a week. Any more than this and you risk the loss of a significant amount of muscle mass, which will just leave you as a 'less weight' image of what you are now, instead of a leaner and more defined you.

My diet is usually:
Breakfast
-Oatmeal with natural peanut butter 1 1/2 servings
Lunch
-chicken breast and maybe an apple, mostly just the chicken
Snack
-protein shake with water
Dinner
-either a protein shake with milk and banana or chicken and vegetables

I believe I'm not eating enough, but I'm having a problem with knowing what to eat in the day that I won't get sick of, or run out so fast that I'll turn to some carbs.
I'm sick of tuna fo lunches..
Ok - you are definately not eating enough. And you are not entirely eating the right kinds of foods. You have a great start, but I would recommend a few basic changes... Your diet is basically protein. No healthy fats, no healthy carbs, not a lot of fibre and very few sources of vitamins and minerals... Also:

I have to limit carbs and sugar as it doesn't go well with me and leaning out, that's what I only try and have oatmeal in the morning.
And how is limiting carbs it working for you so far?? ;)

In all seriousness - carbs are the new 'fats'. Sure, you need to eat the right types of carbohydrates at the right times. And you need to cut out the refined/crappy carbohydrates of the modern age... But low GI, high fibrous carbs can actually help you to loose weight and maintain muscle. They will also help you to stop yourself from binging.... Try to add some back in and see what happens...

Some suggestions I would have are:
1. Add some protein to your breakfast. This is the first meal of the day and it needs to set you up metabolically for a good day. I would go for something like 1/2 cup oats (dry measure), 1 tbs ground flax (much better than peanut butter) and ~25g of protein (options would be egg whites, cottage cheese, a good protein powder etc)

2. Have a mid-morning meal/snack - This should be REAL foods. Real foods are much better than shakes as they have the added benifit of being more thermogenic (that is, they actually take energy to consume, breakdown/digest and utilise). Some foods are more thermogenic than others as well - those high in fibre (fibrous vegetables, whole grains, legumes, fruits) and foods high in protein (lean meats, eggs, dairy etc). So, for mid-morning I would have something that will give you some protein (such as some cottage cheese or lean meats) with something that will give you some starchy carbs (for energy) and some fibre. So consider something like a 3.5oz chicken with 1/2-3/4 cup chick-peas and 1 cup steamed vegetables mixed and topped with some pepper.

You could also have something like FF cottage cheese mixed with some yoghurt and some fruit - this would also give you a good balance of carbohydrate for energy, protein for your muscles and fibre and vitamins/minerals from the fruit.

3. Your lunch also needs MORE SUBSTANCE! No wonder you are complaining of:

I also have a day or meal where I'm not perfect in what I eat, have a dessert, eat some pasta..something..but it kills me and whacks me right back to where I started.
This is a classic sign of under-eating/consuming (either that, or you have psychological/emotional issues that are preventing you from reaching your goals... but if you have ruled these out then you are most likely starving yourself).

I would have 3.5oz of a lean meat of some description (such as tuna/chicken/turkey/bison/ostrich/other seafood/kangaroo etc etc) and another 1/2 to 3/4 cup of a carbohyrdrate source such as basmatti rice/legumes/whole grains. Add a big green salad and an apple and then you have a lunch!

If you didn't want carbs then maybe go for something like a huge green salad (lettuce, mushies, tomato, cucumber, sprouts, capsicum etc) and chop up one or two whole eggs and some egg whites and add them to the mix. Or add some lean protein (cottage cheese, lean meat) and some walnuts/flax seeds or olive oil. Some avocado would also be ok.

4. Afternoon tea I would have something with protein and then some healthy fats and some fibre. So, FF cottage cheese mixed with some high fibre fruits (berries are great) and some chopped walnuts would be a great option. A hard boiled egg and some FF cottage cheese with celery sticks would also be great. You get the idea.

5. Dinner - I would never have a protein shake as a meal.... Least of all for a more substantial meal such as dinner. In this meal I would probably try to limit the starchy carbs you have (or at least limit them to a few times a week) and get most of your starchy carbs earlier in the day when you are more active... I usually like to go for VEGETABLES (AS MUCH AS YOU WANT!!). I usually end up having ~ 600g vegetables at dinner (1.5 pounds). I then have some protein and healthy fats - the best (in my opinion) being salmon. The fats in salmon are REALLY good for you (omega - 3 fatty acids that are essential for your health, hormones, hair, skin, joints, intestines, kidneys, blood vessels, brain, nerves, heart, muscle and MOST IMPORTANTLY - for weight loss!!). Salmon is also high in calcium (if you get the stuff with bones in it) and is a great protein source too.

I have 2 months and feel I can find a way in that time frame. Is there any reason why you have set yourself this deadline? IMO you should not really set yourself 'definate deadlines' if you can help it - all it does is set you up for failure. Mini-goals (such as 'I will eat healthy for 14 days') are much easier to reach and will help you stay motivated.

playmaker
06-28-2004, 06:10 AM
Bump on the Emma's advice

For how long are u traning and eat like this??

beaner1
06-28-2004, 01:26 PM
Wow Emma, thank you so much! Thanks for the great detailed advice.

To give some background, I have been into fitness for about 13 years (in the gym). I am an aerobics instructor as well. Typically, this is what happens with my body:

I lean out for "events" and then add back in some allowances which just creap up. So to get myself lean, I typically would have to do double cardio sessions, and lift weights. My eating would have to be super clean without much starchy carbs at all. Last time I did it was for a video shoot, and I trained 2 sessions a day with weights. My eating was somewhat what I detailed before and I was taking Tetracal. I dropped about 10 lbs, and most likely was at about 20% fat. I felt I looked pretty good for the occasion. I believe I started where I am today and lost that in a month.

I know it's not right, but never can find that happy medium with myself. It seems I have to always be very strict in diet and exercise or I stay at the level I'm at now. I have considered hiring a trainer or going on the gyms nutritional program to find where I'm going wrong, but don't believe they will know exactly what do for me as they really aren't examples themselves.

So, I thought my training was good as fitness pros typically do that much cardio and weights in a week. I thought it's just my diet. Believe me, I don't like doing all this cardio.
So, when you all say to cut it out, I'm kind of stuck in a place..since I teach in the evenings. I have to teach 4 classes a week. 3 of them is kickboxing, and 1 is a circuit interval class.
I had added in running in the morning because with past experiences, that is what slims my butt, thighs, and hips down..especially in the morning.

I am now taking Lean System 7 since ephedra is banned. I don't believe it's doing anything for me,including not giving me more energy. I know there is no pill, but when ephedra was legal, it did either help one way or another by making my mind think it did or it actually did.
I'm going to discontinue taking the Lean7 after it's gone.

As far as why I'm giving myself a deadline, well truthfully..I'm just sick of this yo-yo from going thick to thinner...as I'm aging my weights nearing the 140's and I don't like that. I really just want to be in the teens for BF without suffering in my lifestyle where I feel like I'm totally killing myself to stay that way. I want to have some indulgances every so often without the fear of puffing back up.
I was suppose to film a video (fitness) on June 6th, so from April, I started to clean things up and really try to get into the lifting consistently mode again. I didn't see much changes in April, then it came to May and it was crunch time. I was doing the above...and as you all know..it doesn't work. I thought that maybe my thyroid is whack now..or I'm just getting older as my old tactics aren't working.

The video shoot is pushed out until the end of August. I wanted to start earlier this time to try and make it so that I'm naturally dropping fat (not like in a month time before) but it wasn't killing me to get there. Now we all know, a month has passed and I'm still in the same spot, maybe worse.

It all makes sense to me what you all are saying. I totally appreciate it. Thankfully I can really try to change things up and still have time. I'm also getting married in Oct and didn't want it to be a crash diet thing again. I want this to be easier. I typically don't make bad choices like...fast food, fried food...I always make good choices...it's the ratios that are bad with carbs/prot..When I'm not concentrating on my diet, I'll eat more carbs or sugar.

I appreciate the detailed daily nutrition, I'm going to work on hitting that. Truthfully, it just scares me to eat the rice in the mid-day. Anything's worth a shot as it's clear...what I'm doing, is not working for me anyway.

This was the best spot as I'm sure many of you have achieved a great amount of goals with all your knowledge. I truly thank you for passing that onto me.

Again, my goal is to be lean without killing myself or my body to stay that way. It's not for competition, it's mostly to stop the constant battle of getting thick to trying to lean out. I'm also doing many fitness events where I just want to stay leaner all the time.

sweetbecky
06-29-2004, 07:34 AM
I'm subscribing to this thread because you sound an awful lot like me. I hope you continue to post, so I can watch how you do. About six months ago I also tried to get leaner for "events".. and that's exactly what I called them also! Of course after the event, I would be a little more lenient with food and end up back where I started in no time. Lately I've found it easier to allow myself a treat here and there, but overall remain consistent... no extremes either way.

I gave myself one hell of an injury, I think from overtraining. I'm seeing the doctor today, but was in the ER last Wednesday for my knees. I asked the ER doctor what alternate forms of cardio I could do while I wasn't able to walk, and she said, very annoyed with me, "REST!". So I have a knee brace on one knee and a full immobilizing knee brace on the other, vicodin and crutches. So, I am eating clean and trying not to restrict my food too much, as this rest could be an opportunity to get my metabolism back on track. Don't end up like me lol... do what you can for August, but then seriously consider revamping your eating and training.

sweetbecky
07-05-2004, 08:57 AM
I'm going to bump this to get more views/replies.

beaner1
07-06-2004, 07:18 AM
New to this and I actually searched for this, and didn't really find what it meant...
BUMP-does that mean "replying off of someone elses response"??

OR
does it mean moving it over to another area for more visibilty??

Thanks!

sweetbecky
07-06-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by beaner1
New to this and I actually searched for this, and didn't really find what it meant...
BUMP-does that mean "replying off of someone elses response"??

OR
does it mean moving it over to another area for more visibilty??

Thanks!
When people reply to threads, they automatically get bumped up to the top of the page. As other threads are created or replied to, the first post gets bumped down as the newly replied to thread goes to the top. After a while, a thread with no replies sinks lower down the page, and can go to page 2. I didn't have anything to add, so I simply entered a reply to bump your thread back to the top so it would be more visible, and other people could reply.

Bump can also mean agreement with the person you are quoting, but it is also good to add something to the reply other than "bump".

beaner1
07-06-2004, 02:30 PM
Ohh, thanks for the explanation.

I'm going to keep track of this plan for a good couple weeks and see how my body responds. I had been following it really well as well as cutting down on my cardio. This past weekend, I hadn't been really strict as with the holiday.

This Fri as well, I have to allow some extra at dinner time as I'm going for my tasting for outr reception. I don't believe one meal will kill me though.

Other than that, my fiance and I have really started to evaluate what we eat, and I wouldn't be eating enough before. So, I'm using a program on the net freetrainers.com which I put all my food intake for the day. It says I should get about 1800 cals a day. I typically don't hit that, but come somewhat near it.