PDA

View Full Version : Do Pro Dancers Lift Weights?

SumthinOrNuthin
05-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Went to see a contemporary dance production tonight. There was some nudity and the costumes were often on the skimpy side, but I got totally distracted by the awesome physiques they had. (I know what you're thinking ........... but it was ART ....... OK .... ? ;) ) One woman in particular had incredible quads that most of us ladies would kill for. All the dancers, men and women had really muscular backs, shoulders and legs and of course, minimal BF.

So I got to wondering, have they built their physique just through dancing, or do they lift to supplement the dancing? Just wondered if anyone knew cos I came away from the theatre thinking maybe if I'd taken up dance when I was little, I might never have needed to hit the gym ;)

Bronkko
05-25-2007, 05:23 PM
i have gone out with dancers and currently have two professional dancers who supplement their incomes working for me... and none of them weight train seriously. theyll go to the gym for cardio and some light overall body work but their physiques come from hours of dancing.

DouglassDoubles
05-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Believe it or not, I was in Dance in HS. I've also perfomred with dance groups in my 20's. It's just major discipline. They go over and over and over and over the routines, until they get them PERFECT. Used to drive me crazy! I'm not saying I'm a perfect dancer, but I would be used as an example by the ones in charge for the others to follow because I would catch on quickly and 'perfect' the moves the 2nd or 3rd time.

If you can imagine, for a minute, doing a forward lunge, and not using anything but your glutes to pull yourself back up to a standing position. It's not exactly 'weight training' but it IS using a certain muscle group to perform a move/routine to perfection. VERY strenuous at times. I loved it though! There's also a lot of stretching, in order to avoid tearing a muscle...which is rather painful.

Hope I helped answer your question some. I agree with you, their physiques are....WOW.....!

IronIc
05-25-2007, 07:26 PM
I watched ballroom dancing on PBS last year and I was blown away by the physiques of the women. They were like rope! :eek: Amazing.

~Penney

SumthinOrNuthin
05-26-2007, 04:40 AM
DouglassDoubles, do you find then that you don't now need to do much for your legs after all of the dance training?

I've been to the ballet before but not anything like this. I guess it was because of the costumes (or lack of them) that I copped such a good look at their bodies. I thought to myself that the women could easily compete in figure if they spent a little time building some arms and pecs.

I guess it just goes to show what doing only bodyweight exercises (repeatedly x 1,000s) can do! Seriously, their quads & hams were awesome - like they'd spent years doing heavy squats :)

Don;t get me started on their flexibility ..... sheesh, my lower back only dreams of those kinds of moves .... !

SR800
05-26-2007, 08:03 AM
I have seen a workout video on TV for ballet where you buy this portable bar and do body weight exercises that amounted to all types of body weight squats, lunges, reverse pull ups etc. Looked like a very solid bodyweight type of exercise program that would definately result in the rope look that most women and men want to achive.

redweston
05-26-2007, 08:21 AM
Went to see a contemporary dance production tonight. There was some nudity and the costumes were often on the skimpy side, but I got totally distracted by the awesome physiques they had. (I know what you're thinking ........... but it was ART ....... OK .... ? ;) ) One woman in particular had incredible quads that most of us ladies would kill for. All the dancers, men and women had really muscular backs, shoulders and legs and of course, minimal BF.

So I got to wondering, have they built their physique just through dancing, or do they lift to supplement the dancing? Just wondered if anyone knew cos I came away from the theatre thinking maybe if I'd taken up dance when I was little, I might never have needed to hit the gym ;)

Maybe it was a pro wrestling match?
-keeponpumpin! ;) red

RollTide1
05-26-2007, 10:03 AM
The ones at the Cheetah in Atlanta work out.

Hibiscus09
05-26-2007, 10:40 AM
My daughter has danced from three years of age through college and has beautiful legs. She hasn't exercised any other than the dancing. It's a lot of hard work.

John Prophet
05-26-2007, 10:45 AM
depends on how you look at it.

they lift a tremendous amount of bodyweight...and some of it is pretty intense plyometric work etc

reminds me of when they say young female gymnasts shouldnt lift weights....dont they realize they are lifting multiples times their own bodyweight when they do some of those explosive bw exercises?

sugicalmike
05-26-2007, 10:49 AM
My sister has danced forever and her legs are strong as hell.... they are not defined though... so Im thinking for that perfect look , they might combine the two....

Afterall.... if they're dancing to make a living, then it's much the same as someone that plays baseball or football for a living... but they probably don't do as much roids, amphetamines or coke:)

V-240
05-26-2007, 06:56 PM
The MOMIX Dancers in the Hanes commercials sure look great:

http://greatdance.com/danceblog/archives/ads/000481.php

http://greatdance.com/danceblog/archives/images/momixad-thumb.jpg

The commercials get fairly close up and show some pretty impressive physiques, I must say! :)

DouglassDoubles
05-26-2007, 08:49 PM
DouglassDoubles, do you find then that you don't now need to do much for your legs after all of the dance training?

Actually, my legs are the ONLY awesome looking part on my body right now :( ....especially the calves. Nice and tan now too ;)

When I was younger, I did ballet for a while. Then, when I started getting taller than everyone, my mom stopped the lessons. But I love dancing, and all the chasing around of the rugrats helps keep my legs in good form.

tatdawg
05-27-2007, 05:21 AM
I guess it just goes to show what doing only bodyweight exercises (repeatedly x 1,000s) can do! Seriously, their quads & hams were awesome - like they'd spent years doing heavy squats :)

I have seen a workout video on TV for ballet where you buy this portable bar and do body weight exercises that amounted to all types of body weight squats, lunges, reverse pull ups etc. Looked like a very solid bodyweight type of exercise program that would definately result in the rope look that most women and men want to achive.

this is one of the reasons i am on a bodyweight only exercise routine right now. i have not touched a weight in about a month and so far so good. i miss the weights but my joints are much happier now.

PeteB
05-27-2007, 07:00 AM
I am not sure if dancers lift weights, but I do know they often have chronic joint and foot problems later in life, just like female gymnasts. More importantly from my point of view, "later in life", is often well under 40 years old.

Looked like a very solid bodyweight type of exercise program that would definately result in the rope look that most women and men want to achieve.Not sure that is true. Most men or women don't want to look like a female long-distance runner, a circus contortionnist, or a steroid-enhanced 300 lb pro football player.

The features which make us want to watch someone perform are not necessarily what we find attractive looking in the mirror... or want to wake up next to in the morning, :D

...I miss the weights but my joints are much happier now.I am sure that is true, but a few years ago I could have said the same thing at the end of tennis season, or after running every couple days - my knees felt 100% better when I stopped pounding them on an almost daily basis, and with my bodyweight only.

The same thing is likely to happen if someone does combinations of high rep high volume exercises which stress the elbow. Someone who is in good shape can easily train himself to do hundreds of pushups, pullups, chins, on a daily basis, but eventually repetitive motion will take its toll.

There are benefits to taking time off to do body weight exercises, light weight/high reps, and exercises that increase the range of motion, but I don't think doing only high-rep exercise will save your joints by itself.

DouglassDoubles
05-27-2007, 07:34 AM
I am not sure if dancers lift weights, but I do know they often have chronic joint and foot problems later in life, just like female gymnasts. More importantly from my point of view, "later in life", is often well under 40 years old.

very true, unfortunately. I have weak ankles, and would always sprain them. In fact, one of my 'dance career' stopping injuries was a broken leg. I broke the bone about an inch above my ankle bone. Hurts like the dikkens to this day...AND, because of the healing affects bones have, that ankle is bigger around now :(

tatdawg
05-27-2007, 10:39 AM
I am sure that is true, but a few years ago I could have said the same thing at the end of tennis season, or after running every couple days - my knees felt 100% better when I stopped pounding them on an almost daily basis, and with my bodyweight only.

The same thing is likely to happen if someone does combinations of high rep high volume exercises which stress the elbow. Someone who is in good shape can easily train himself to do hundreds of pushups, pullups, chins, on a daily basis, but eventually repetitive motion will take its toll.

There are benefits to taking time off to do body weight exercises, light weight/high reps, and exercises that increase the range of motion, but I don't think doing only high-rep exercise will save your joints by itself.

you still have to watch form on BW exercises to protect joints but in my case it was lower back problems. i find i can push myself pretty hard and more often with no lower back strain. my shoulders have felt better also. but this ain't my first rodeo. i had to do BW exercises only for close to 5 years and had good success with it. i was in the best overall shape in my life. i am trying to get to that point again even if i have to sacrifice mass to get there.

PeteB
05-27-2007, 10:58 AM
i had to do BW exercises only for close to 5 years and had good success with it. I read that other thread. And I also agree that BW exercises have benefits. My next cycle will probably have more of them than the last one. I absolutely do not promote lifting weights as the main answer to fitness, but I also wonder looking back how much simple overuse contributed to my knee and shoulder problems. I suppose I will never know that for sure.

tatdawg
05-27-2007, 11:04 AM
I read that other thread. And I also agree that BW exercises have benefits. My next cycle will probably have more of them than the last one. I absolutely do not promote lifting weights as the main answer to fitness, but I also wonder looking back how much simple overuse contributed to my knee and shoulder problems. I suppose I will never know that for sure.

i know what you mean. i wish when i was young i would have stuck with moderation and a good mix approach to all around fitness. ahh well to live and learn.

PeteB
05-27-2007, 11:20 AM
i know what you mean. i wish when i was young i would have stuck with moderation and a good mix approach to all around fitness. ahh well to live and learn.I have a lot of mistakes to look back on in regard to my approach to things, training and injuries being just some of them.

I would be interested in reading how it goes in another month, and if you noticed any loss of muscle or other changes. Not many people go from mostly weights to all BW, so it might teach the rest of us something.

tatdawg
05-27-2007, 11:27 AM
I have a lot of mistakes to look back on in regard to my approach to things, training and injuries being just some of them.

I would be interested in reading how it goes in another month, and if you noticed any loss of muscle or other changes. Not many people go from mostly weights to all BW, so it might teach the rest of us something.

i am keeping a record so i will check in about a month or so and see where i stand. to be honest ego is the hard part to overcome. it ain't that i am all that but if i start dropping to much size it is hard for me to stay away from weights. even if i am in better all around shape. sad but true. before i had no choice so it is harder this time. i will let you know how this goes if you like.

PeteB
05-27-2007, 11:33 AM
...i will let you know how this goes if you like.Yes, Thanks... I am all-too-familiar with the ego effect, unfortunately <chuckle>.