PDA

View Full Version : Pullovers...Chest or Lat exercise

Rhinoclan
05-24-2007, 09:18 AM
I've seen these put in both places in a workout routine, and was wondering what the consensus was...for the upper chest, lats, or both?

EYE FOR DETAIL
05-24-2007, 09:26 AM
both......stiff arm pullover, rib cage expansion with the stretch at the
bottom. Lat pullover use the lats to pull the weight up from the bottom
position. Lat isolation is the key

GROWLER
05-24-2007, 09:29 AM
EYE is correct. Do them flat lengthwise along a bench and not sideways arched over bench unless you wish to risk a herniated navel. Your inny can quickly become an outie.

pastorgbc
05-24-2007, 09:41 AM
It works both. I prefer to do it on back days.

My preferred method is to do it across a bench with your feet pulled tight and your butt as close to your feet as possible. Hold the butt position throughout the movement and you will feel this more in your serratus and lats.

Ray

Rhinoclan
05-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the replies. I usually feel it more in my upper chest, but that could be because I've done them on back day...the day after chest, so it could be the stretch more than anything.

TwiloMike
05-24-2007, 10:16 AM
I've seen these put in both places in a workout routine, and was wondering what the consensus was...for the upper chest, lats, or both?

Compound.

hulkinout
05-24-2007, 12:23 PM
It can be used for both bodyparts, but it is considered an isolation move of the stretch variety, since it will stretch either the pecs or the lats at the bottom (youcan also get some good tricep stretch in there too if your arms are bent).

However, it's not considered a compound exercise like the bench or squat. Use it after benching or pullups. Make a nice finishing move if you hold your last rep's stretch until you can't stand it any longer. Helps relieve soreness in the bodypart I find.

Hibiscus09
05-24-2007, 12:55 PM
It works both. I prefer to do it on back days.

My preferred method is to do it across a bench with your feet pulled tight and your butt as close to your feet as possible. Hold the butt position throughout the movement and you will feel this more in your serratus and lats.

Ray

Lats for me also. I do it crossways on a bench (not the length of the bench) and keep my butt low and stable throughout the movement.

Like this:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/PectoralSternal/DBPulloverMount.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/DBPullover.html&h=120&w=160&sz=24&hl=en&start=40&tbnid=fi_ynqXjeNpSiM:&tbnh=74&tbnw=98&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddumbbell%2Bpullover%26start%3D20%26gb v%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

but with my hiney a little lower. I think if you keep your bottom low and stable and focus on pulling with your lats there is no arching involved in the abdominal area.

OneO
05-24-2007, 03:00 PM
i do em on chest day super-setted into my standing cable flys . after a heavy chest day i really like the stretch i get doing em stiff armed. Pretty much same as hibiscus does em

John Prophet
05-24-2007, 03:10 PM
for me...pretty much lats

BergMuscle
05-24-2007, 03:11 PM
I've done had pullovers in both my back and chest routines, although never at the same time. For those times when I've done a simpler split of upper body/lower body I always include them because they do so much for my torso size and strength. I really think pullovers and pulldowns helped me build some big lats when I started lifting a few years ago at the "fitness center" in an office building I was working in.

IR45N
05-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Done them first on chest day & as Baldsnake said, lying on the bench; not across. Got up to 3 reps with the 100#dbell but scaled back to the 85s for more reps. Can't tell whether they're helping but it make for a good warmup exercise.

Hibiscus09
05-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Done them first on chest day & as Baldsnake said, lying on the bench; not across. Got up to 3 reps with the 100#dbell but scaled back to the 85s for more reps. Can't tell whether they're helping but it make for a good warmup exercise.

Did Baldsnake speak and is he disguised? :p

widebody195
05-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Good stretching/finishing move for both lats and pecs. For me the pullovers also work the triceps alot. I usually keep the reps high, 12-15.

GROWLER
05-25-2007, 07:03 AM
Frank Zane. Serratus/intercostals.

QUALITYGUY1
05-25-2007, 09:34 AM

If you are doing them right...lats & serratus. BTW, Heavy Bent Arm Pullover is one of the best BP assistace exercises. ;)

I do them on a flat bench using an E-Z Curl Bar on the close grip, with my feet under the leg support so I can pull as much as possible. If you have a partner, you can have him/her help you get the bar off the floor and on to your chest and then start the reps. Doing them any other way, IMO, is a wast of time to build size & strength. Check this out, it kind of shows the method (best I can find):
HERE (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/excercise/BENTARMPULLOVERSWITH%20BAREBELL.htm)

Jordo1
05-25-2007, 10:30 AM
This month's M&F says to do them on a decline bench to make is a good lat exercise. The decline bench increases the time of tension on the lats and supposedly nearly mimics the straight arm lat pulldown.