PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional EDUCATION Advice

Fess
06-15-2004, 04:26 AM
Hello,

I've finally reached the point where I'm ready to learn in earnest about building the body in regards to nutrition.

I've done about 100 crunches daily since the year 2000, I still cannot see my efforts because I've got a layer of fat. Fat not from over indulging, but from blindly taking 'weight gainer' powders when I was 19. I'm 29 now..

My abs are developed, my bicep/triceps/shoulder have a good foundation. But, I need to reduce my body fat.

Now........I'm totally a novice when it comes to understanding how the body breaks down food.

I'd like to learn about nutrition and all the important aspects of it. Can any nutritionists recommend any good books that will enhance my knowledge to a 'nutritionist' level?

Thank You
Fess

britishbulld0g
06-15-2004, 04:41 AM
check the threads at the top of the page.......

Romac
06-15-2004, 04:45 AM
go the the main bodybuilding.com website, click on 'nutrition' and start reading. When you're done there, log everything you eat in a typical day. log protein, carbs, and total calories.

Adjust your intake to stay below 1400 calories per day (depending a bit on your weight and height) with most of those calories coming from protein intake with minimal carbs.

If you don't have any heart or blood pressure problems, start taking the ephedrine/caffeine/asprin/yohimbe stack.

Send me a thankyou email in 2 months when you have lost 20lbs and can see your six-pack.

alan aragon
06-15-2004, 08:14 AM
i've written a manual that focuses on fat loss, sports nutrition, & waaaay more than you'd probably ever want to know about the little details of the macronutrients & fat loss supplements. if you just need a basic foundation, then susan kleiner has written an easy read called "power eating". if you want to go to the next level as far as fat loss goes, then go to ergogenica dot com & whip your credit card out. good luck in your quest.

alan aragon
06-15-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Romac
Adjust your intake to stay below 1400 calories per day (depending a bit on your weight and height) with most of those calories coming from protein intake with minimal carbs.

i rarely put petite girls on this type of regimen.

Fess
06-15-2004, 08:20 AM
britishbulld0g, Romac...

I appreciate your advice.

I was interested in a book becasue the monitor really kills my eyes. I do graphics for a living and try to avoid the screen when necessary. But luckly your suggestion is on a black background so its less intense.

Lots of useful informtion I've browsed so far.

I was also suggested to look into this book:

The Ketogenic Diet: A Complete Guide for the Dieter & the Practitioner
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0967145600/qid=1086950962/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-7113411-5436951?v=glance&s=books

Can you also suggest a online reference that shows metric mesurements?

1 oz = 30 g for example.

Thanks Again
Regards
Fess

Squatman
06-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Fess

I was also suggested to look into this book:

The Ketogenic Diet: A Complete Guide for the Dieter & the Practitioner

Ignore that suggestion. A keto (aka low/no carb) diet is not the place to start if you're a beginner. There is a lotta love and lotta hate out there for keto diets, but IMO you shouldn't even consider one unless you have a pretty thorough understanding of nutrition.

alan aragon
06-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Fess
britishbulld0g, Romac...

I appreciate your advice.

lmfao, you're welcome i guess? check out that susan kleiner book i suggested (or mine if you're technically oriented) before you go diving into ketogenic regimes. on the whole, they do more harm then good, unless you're part of a small cross section who has a seizure disorder - in which case keto will actually suppress the neural processes that lead to seizures. keto also may benefit those with severe glucose & insulin metabolic issues. keto is also fine for those with a strictly limited ability to exercise, and is actually preferred for bedridden individuals. one thing folks ALWAYS forget to do on keto is guard against the calciuric (read: bone mineral-leeching) effects common to plans that induce blood acidosis. that's one of the side effects that must be countered should you ever try this plan, otherwise you'll join the many individuals in their senior years with osteopenia, osteomalacia, and yes osteoporosis. did you know that osteoporosis is a certified epidemic in the US? also, deaths from complications of hip fracture from simply falling are definitely more the norm than the exception in the senior population. haaa look at my public health background fighting its way through on a bodybuilding board. anyway, big bump to squatman's comment. keto is absolutely the wrong place to start as a beginner. these are words to the wise, and that's all i can leave you with.

Fess
06-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Squatman, alan aragon....

Great advice....

First & foremost, I'm concerned with my health and maintaining it.

I will never blindly try to enhance my body ever again. As with anything, it ends up as failure.

I will research your suggestions and decide.

Your honesty is appreciated. Thanks
Regards
Fess