PDA

View Full Version : > Eating Clean On A Long Road Trip

Rey92
05-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Hi all,

I plan to road trip around Australia for a year from next september.

Sometimes, i'll be able to cook (YHA, BBQ...), sometimes i won't (bush camping, road tripping...).

Here are some foods i read about i could eat on a daily basis:

Food Stores:

- All-bran (15 % protein, 45 % carbs, 1,5 % fat, 30 % fiber !!, 1 % potassium, GI = 31) + vegetal milk (casein intolerant)

- Burgen Wholemeal & Seeds bread (13 % protein, 21 % carbs, 7 % fat, 0.9 % sat fat, 9 % fiber, GI = 39)

- pastas: protein enriched, wholemeal, egg pastas

- fresh fruits and veggies

- canned beans

- eggs

- beef: lean cuts (eye round, top round, sirloin), extra lean ground

- kangaroo meat (all cuts are extra lean)

- chicken and turkey: breasts, lean ground

- extra virgin olive oil, sunflower oil

Fast Foods:

- Mcdonald's: lean beef burger (250 kcal, 18 g protein, 25 g carbs, 8 g fat, 3 g sat fat), herb fusion chicken salad (100 kcal, 18 g protein, 3 g carbs, 1 g fat), garden salad (40 kcal), italian dressing (30 kcal)

- Nando's: grilled chicken breast pita without mayo (330 kcal, 36 g carbs, 36 g protein, 5 g fat, 1,5 g sat fat), chicken breast without skin, garden salad

- Hungry Jack's: grilled chicken burger (330 kcal, 26 g carbs, 18 g protein, 17 g fat, 3 g sat fat)

- I Love Sushi: salmon sushi

- asian food: steamed noodles, grilled chicken breasts, fresh seafood

- all salad bars

What do you think ?

Any food suggestion ?

Rey92
05-23-2007, 04:01 AM
Up.

I would really appreciate any suggestions, especially those from aussies.

lupinecat
05-23-2007, 04:31 AM
That all looks good. But it really depends on where you are traveling in Aust. I have traveled around my homeland quite a bit and eating clean has never been a problem - aussies love their meat and fresh fruit and veg are always in abundance. What are your trip plans?

Rey92
05-23-2007, 04:48 AM
Yeah what you say confirms what I thought: aussies seem to care about nutrition and enjoy healthy lifestyles.

I arrive in Sydney in september where I plan to stay a month.

Then, as soon as I get a descent van, I'll go fruitpicking around NSW and Victoria till december.

Then, I plan to visit Tasmania from Melbourne about january.

Afterwards, I'll hit the great ocean road and trip around South Australia (Adelaide) and Western Australia till Perth. I plan to stay in Western Australia till april-may (fruit picking from time to time).

Then I'll head for Kununurra, Darwin, Kakadu NP, Alice Springs around june.

Finally, july-august, I'll trip around Queensland from Cairns, Mackay, Brisbane to Sydney to return to Paris.

In other words, I plan to trip all around the country bu I'll spend most of time around Sydney and Perth.

lupinecat
05-24-2007, 04:10 AM
Yeah what you say confirms what I thought: aussies seem to care about nutrition and enjoy healthy lifestyles.

I arrive in Sydney in september where I plan to stay a month.

Then, as soon as I get a descent van, I'll go fruitpicking around NSW and Victoria till december.

Then, I plan to visit Tasmania from Melbourne about january.

Afterwards, I'll hit the great ocean road and trip around South Australia (Adelaide) and Western Australia till Perth. I plan to stay in Western Australia till april-may (fruit picking from time to time).

Then I'll head for Kununurra, Darwin, Kakadu NP, Alice Springs around june.

Finally, july-august, I'll trip around Queensland from Cairns, Mackay, Brisbane to Sydney to return to Paris.

In other words, I plan to trip all around the country bu I'll spend most of time around Sydney and Perth.

Well, some aussies enjoy healthy life styles. We do have a pretty severe obesity problem over here - and the worlds highest heart disease rates!

If you are from Paris you'll probably enjoy Melbourne the most - as it is aust's most European and culturally diverse city. Sydney is more the party capital. Avoid Canberra at all costs - believe me! But, if you are looking for a really different/aussie experience you can't beat the west coast (for the beaches) and the northern territory for culture-shock value.

If you're going to be fruit picking your way around Australia you wont have to worry about fitness - have you done it before? Its some of the hardest work I have ever done, and some of the most ripped guys I have ever seen has been when I was fruit picking. By the way the best place to buy a van is Byron Bay (you HAVE to visit there, trust me) its where all the travelers finish up and the streets are littered with people trying to sell off their travel vans etc. You can pick some good deals up there.

Anyway, hope you have a good time and pm me if you need any travel tips etc...

Rey92
05-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the tips, i appreciate.

I'll certainly get to Byron Bay but at the end of my trip, i may go there from sydney at the begining but it's not the direction i'm suppose to take.

I read about Sydney King Cross car market for its large choice of used camper vans.

I have never fruitpicked before, as you said, it seems to be pretty hard but on the other hand it must be satisfying to work outdoor burning calories.

Anyway, I plan to work only a month every 2 or 3 months just to earn extra cash.

Melbourne, WA, NT, for sure !