PDA

View Full Version : Soy Milk

mvalderas19
05-21-2007, 05:54 PM
How's it goin everyone. This has been bugging me for a while....Would it be better to replace soy milk with regular skim milk? I've been trying to find a helpful article. I appreciate the help!

Raidersfan13
05-21-2007, 05:57 PM
I dunno about the nutrition or anything, but I would definitely switch from Soy to skim, if only for the taste. I cant stand the taste of soy milk...so nasty.

abergirl
05-21-2007, 06:00 PM
I personally love the creamier/richer texture of the Silk soy milk line (vanilla or plain)

Here's a thread that will probably help you with your debate between the two besides just flavor:

http://www.vegetarianteen.com/articles/skimorsoy.shtml

or

http://forums.menshealth.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/217109121/m/101104742

nickdow
05-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Well soy, as I understand, has some negative effects on your hormones as I think it increases estrogen.

If you're going for taste just drink whole milk. Don't be afraid of fat, that's silly and your body needs it.

But you asked "would it be helpful" ... Well what are your goals? Building muscle? Milk is probably better then, yes.

US_Ranger
05-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Well soy, as I understand, has some negative effects on your hormones as I think it increases estrogen.

If you're going for taste just drink whole milk. Don't be afraid of fat, that's silly and your body needs it.

But you asked "would it be helpful" ... Well what are your goals? Building muscle? Milk is probably better then, yes.

Soy has plant estrogens.

Plant estrogens DO NOT equal animal estrogens.

BlackRadio
05-21-2007, 06:04 PM
You can drink both. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

nickdow
05-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Soy has plant estrogens.

Plant estrogens DO NOT equal animal estrogens.

I hope that's the case, in which case I'll be consuming soy. And actually a quick search gave some interesting insight:

6. Soy Protein Isolate benefits for Bodybuilders

Animal research suggests some great advantages of using soy protein isolate as a bodybuilding supplement. Research has shown that the isoflavone daidzein found in soy-protein isolate might have a gender specific normalizing effect on sex-hormone production. Lab animals experienced testosterone and growth hormone excretion as well as muscle growth in males, while the female animals experienced a decrease in these hormones and fat loss.

Daidzein is a key isoflavone found in soy that acts as a potent phyto-estrogen. It is structurally a very weak "pseudo-estrogen" (about 1000 times weaker than the body's primary estrogen estradiol). This is good news to the bodybuilder because weak estrogens like daidzein will compete with stronger estrogens like estradiol for available receptor sites to "bind" to. By binding to the receptor sites daidzein then "blocks" the stronger estrogens from binding to and activating receptor sites. With the daidzein isolflavone attached, estrogen receptor sites remain inactive. This inactivity further minimizes the negative effects of estrogen in the body. Many researchers believe this effect is the reason soy protein is linked to a reduction in the risk for many forms of breast, endometrial, and prostate cancer. This mechanism works similarly to the prescription drug Nolvadex (tamoxifen citrate)--an anti-estrogen staple in the bodybuilding community.

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/soyvswhy.htm So yes I misunderstood ;P

Oddball8945
05-21-2007, 06:26 PM
How's it goin everyone. This has been bugging me for a while....Would it be better to replace soy milk with regular skim milk? I've been trying to find a helpful article. I appreciate the help!

Like everyone said, what are your goals. IMO there is nothing wrong with Soy milk unless your buying the stuff with the added sugars and syrups and flavoring. Then of course the better choice would be skim, skim milk is better from a protein standpoint, however Soy Milk contains more vitamins and such then a glass of Skim. If you really want the health benifits from a milk then a real whole fat Milk would be the best choice out of the skim and Soy.

From a calorie perspective/cutting perspective, i would also choice skim, actully Hood Calorie/Carb Countdown milk.

If your just trying to live healthy and maintain weight then drink whatever you want, macros willing.

What are your reasons for choiceing soy in the first place btw?

A glass a day of soy milk a day for variety isnt going to turn him into a woman so he does not need to worry about that imo.

yes real milk is better from a protein/fat standpoint

You can drink both. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

exactly, variety is key imo

sportyhp
05-21-2007, 06:42 PM
i agree w/ drinking both, you can switch it off just like i do. i do eat soy in the form of organic soy milk and also frozen edamame beans, but i dont overdo it. just keep it all in moderation, you'll be fine. (just dont go drink a shake w/ soymilk, then go eat a bar w/ soy protein in it, then go have some tofu lol)

mvalderas19
05-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Sorry I didn't point out that I am trying a new fat loss program. Now I've been drinking soy milk for about 8 months mainly b/c I didn't want the extra fat. I didn't know enough about skim milk to make the transfer. Now that I've decided to get more serious on losing fat, I'm just looking for the best milk product to help out. I really appreciate everyones help. Thanks again!

mcdbb
05-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Asian cultures consume ridiculous amounts of soy, for some Buddhist monks it serves as their primary protein source. None of them have grown breasts or ovaries. Avoiding soy because you are afraid of your "estrogen increasing" is a pretty silly reason to do so. I personally eat a pretty large amount of tofu and natto every day.

mvalderas19
05-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the help everyone.

Strategery
05-28-2007, 08:37 PM
I eat Tempeh several times a week and I consume some soymilk a few times a week as well. Tofu is pretty much crap IMO as is soy protein isolate.

If you're going to consume soy, stick with Tempeh, a GOOD soymilk (not soy isolate mixed with sugar), or miso. Soy Isolate is subjected to harsh chemicals and might have traces of aluminum in it. It's also pretty damn unnatural as a food product.

I have been eating Tempeh for a few years and drinking soymilk for about 10 years. Everything in moderation.

LordHalbert
05-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Avoid all unfermented soy products like the plague if you're male !!!

Unfermented soy includes tofu, soy milk, and the steamed soy pods you get at sushi restarurants.

Fermented soy is OK because the bad stuff has been neutralized/removed. Fermented soy includes soy sauce (Tamari), Tempeh, and Miso.

The notion that asians eat tons of soy and drink soy milk by the gallons is not true BTW.