PDA

View Full Version : BF% for football season?

MJB
04-28-2002, 11:43 AM
For a skilled position; linebacker, quarterback, safety, etc, would you try to loose a little fat before season, or leave the cutting for 2 a days? What bf% would you try to be at for the season? I think my goal is 6-7%, sound healthy?

Thanks

Powerlifter16
04-28-2002, 01:56 PM
Who cares if ur cut or not? are they going to see it on the football field? Id waste ur time on getting faster and more powerfull. Instead of showing off what u look like why dont u show off ur ability on the field?

lifter

hardknuckle
04-28-2002, 02:04 PM
I don't think even QB's are under 7% bf. Bodyfat is a stupid thing to worry about if you're healthy. I'm sure most Linebackers are at 12-18%

Jean Schernoff
04-28-2002, 02:20 PM
You don't want to be skinny. You want to be heavy-weight while being powerful and fast.

Bodyfat percent depends on you. I would say optimal body fat level range for a football player is 10-14%.

good luck!

dnoel
04-28-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Powerlifter16
Who cares if ur cut or not? are they going to see it on the football field? Id waste ur time on getting faster and more powerfull. Instead of showing off what u look like why dont u show off ur ability on the field?

lifter

unlike powerlifting- in most if not all athletic sports, bf% plays an enormous role in ones performance.

dez/null
04-28-2002, 04:24 PM
id say around 6-8% but it dont really matter...
powerlifting is a vary bf related sport...you have to stay in a certain weight class
now wrestling THATS A BF SPORT

MJB
04-28-2002, 06:03 PM
I really don't care what a look like under the pads, I was just wondering what the lowest I should go, b/c the less you weigh, the easier it is to carry yourself around, correct, unless you loose muscle while losing fat, correct?

Thanks

dnoel
04-28-2002, 08:14 PM
I really don't care what a look like under the pads, I was just wondering what the lowest I should go, b/c the less you weigh, the easier it is to carry yourself around, correct,

correct.

unless you loose muscle while losing fat, correct?

depends on a lot of factors, but if you lose a lot of upper body weight and maintain a fair amount of lower body strength, your speed will increase.

Thanks

welcome

dk2020
04-28-2002, 08:35 PM
this football season I played linebacker in the NCAA at 227 pounds with about 14% bodyfat.
cutting is for the off season..........however, dont sacrifice speed for size.