PDA

View Full Version : Can you guys help a fellow lifter bulk

laidback
06-02-2004, 11:07 PM
I've been working out for a few months now, but I haven't got the gains that I wanted. Honestly, I've simply not been eating enough, and only going to the gym twice a week.(time is limited)

It's time to step it up. I'm going to start next week going 4 days a week, and so far I bought the following:

Rice
vegetables
fruit (bananas/apples)
chicken breast
turkey breast
peanut butter
oatmeal (6lbs)
whey protein (6lb) bucket
box of granola bars
tuna

I have half a bucket of cell tech too

Can you guys help me formulate something that will help me bulk up with the things I've bought. Or is it enough?
I appreciate all the help you guys give me.

Thanks in advance

BTW, I'm about 5'9 3/4 and a good 215lbs, not fat, genetics, wide shoulders.

PJ40
06-03-2004, 05:50 AM
I started bulking 5/2/2004. Ive gain 20 lbs since then using this meal plan.

Here is my typical daily food intake

Calories Fat Carbs Protein
3520 75 675 356

6:00 AM 2 scoops 100% Whey w/banana and yogurt
1/2 Cup Oats w/Flax Seed Oil
Supps: 1ad, R-ala, Multi Vitaman, Glucosimine

8:00 AM Protein Bar and 12oz OJ

11:00 AM *** Pre-Workout ***
Protein Shake 2 Scoops w/Yogurt
1 Oatmeal cake

1:00 PM *** Post Workout ***
Protein Shake 2 scoops w/water.
Powdered Gatorade. ( Dextrose )

2:30 PM Sliced Chicken Breast, 1 can Tuna
Green Salad
Supps: 1ad, R-ala

5:00 PM 1/2 cup Oats

7:30 PM (Dinner ) Chicken or Meat w/ Rice or Pasta & Veggies

9:30 PM 1 can Tuna, 1/2 cup mixed Nuts

11:00 PM 1/2 cup Cottage Cheese 4 slices of Turkey Breast.
Supps: 1ad, R-ala, Flax Seed Oil

The main thing is to eat clean and alot. With a 4 day routine in the gym there should be no problem gaining Mass.

Good Luck...

PJ40

laidback
06-03-2004, 08:41 AM
You eat alot of food. There are about 13-14 meals in that plan. I'll try to formulate some kind of plan.

Do you eat oatmeal dry, or mix it with something, or do you eat it as it should be?

Back Double Biceps18
06-03-2004, 09:07 AM
A good start with the new diet and doubling your time in the gym. I'm on a 4 day split now and have seen good results with it. Just keep eating cleanly and eat lots and the gains will be there.

On a side note, PJ, do you know how much muscle you gained and how much of that 20lbs is fat? Your diet looks pretty similiar to mine which I changed about a week and a half ago.

zackmurphy
06-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by PJ40

3520 75 675 356

Those numbers don't add up.

356 Pro
675 CHO
75 fat
4799 calories

And if you meant:
356 Pro
375 CHO
75 fat
3600 calories

FYI.

laidback - there's a number of good mass gain diets and articles on the main bb.com pages. I followed one of them (John Berardi's Massive Eating Plan), and gained 18# in 2 months eating VERY clean. Good weight. About 50/50 fat/muscle, which I'm very happy with.

I started at 158 and ate about 4000-4400 cal daily, at a 40/45/15 ratio. I just finished the bulk, and am now slowly letting the cut begin. I recommend that article, whole heartedly.

And of course, there's a hundred good bulk diets out there. My journal (see profile) has mine. I think it's on the 2nd page.

Originally posted by laidback
You eat alot of food. There are about 13-14 meals in that plan. I'll try to formulate some kind of plan. 7 - 8 meals is plenty.

Zarazen
06-03-2004, 09:33 AM
I started bulking 5/2/2004. Ive gain 20 lbs since then using this meal plan.

3520 75 675 356

6:00 AM 2 scoops 100% Whey w/banana and yogurt
1/2 Cup Oats w/Flax Seed Oil
Supps: 1ad, R-ala, Multi Vitaman, Glucosimine

8:00 AM Protein Bar and 12oz OJ

11:00 AM *** Pre-Workout ***
Protein Shake 2 Scoops w/Yogurt
1 Oatmeal cake

1:00 PM *** Post Workout ***
Protein Shake 2 scoops w/water.
Powdered Gatorade. ( Dextrose )

2:30 PM Sliced Chicken Breast, 1 can Tuna
Green Salad
Supps: 1ad, R-ala

5:00 PM 1/2 cup Oats

7:30 PM (Dinner ) Chicken or Meat w/ Rice or Pasta & Veggies

9:30 PM 1 can Tuna, 1/2 cup mixed Nuts

11:00 PM 1/2 cup Cottage Cheese 4 slices of Turkey Breast.
Supps: 1ad, R-ala, Flax Seed Oil

The main thing is to eat clean and alot. With a 4 day routine in the gym there should be no problem gaining Mass.

Good Luck...

PJ40

Problem here is that you dont touch any solid protein until 2:30PM...and at the same time don't mix your fats and carbs..ie: flax with oatmeal...

laidback
06-03-2004, 10:05 AM
So tell me what is a good amount of protein shakes to drink in one day? As I said I'm a good 215 at least. I ususally buy a weight loss shake to mix with my whey, but I like the taste with milk just as much too.

PJ40
06-03-2004, 10:24 AM
CURE wrote...Problem here is that you dont touch any solid protein until 2:30PM...and at the same time don't mix your fats and carbs..ie: flax with oatmeal...

Whats the reasoning behind no carbs with fat? I never heard of such a thing. When you have a meal say, Fish and rice thats Fat (Omega 3 ) and Carbs. Please explain yourself.

PJ

PJ40
06-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Biceps18
On a side note, PJ, do you know how much muscle you gained and how much of that 20lbs is fat? Your diet looks pretty similiar to mine which I changed about a week and a half ago.

Not sure B18. I can tell you that my waiste went from a 34 1/2 to a 35 3/4 as of now. Mostly in the stomach. Not the love handles.

BEnch went from 185 6-8 to 215 6-8 as of now.

Hope this helps you..

PJ

zackmurphy
06-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Whats the reasoning behind no carbs with fat? I never heard of such a thing. When you have a meal say, Fish and rice thats Fat (Omega 3 ) and Carbs. Please explain yourself.

PJ
EXTREMELY long story short, and greatly simplified: When you take in carbs and fat simultaneously, your body has the immediate tendency to store the fat and burn the carbs for basic energy needs. When you take carbs and fat separately, the body has a greater tendency to burn whichever it's getting for energy, thereby keeping you leaner, even though you're getting the same total of each.

It's not a cardinal sin, but it's something to be on the lookout for. As a rough rule, if it's a carb meal, try to keep fat under 5g. If it's a fat meal, try to keep carbs under 10g. It's a challenge at first, but you get used to it very fast.

And there are exceptions to this, reasons is okat for certain side benefits, etc.

Just generally.

Zarazen
06-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by zackmurphy
EXTREMELY long story short, and greatly simplified: When you take in carbs and fat simultaneously, your body has the immediate tendency to store the fat and burn the carbs for basic energy needs. When you take carbs and fat separately, the body has a greater tendency to burn whichever it's getting for energy, thereby keeping you leaner, even though you're getting the same total of each.

It's not a cardinal sin, but it's something to be on the lookout for. As a rough rule, if it's a carb meal, try to keep fat under 5g. If it's a fat meal, try to keep carbs under 10g. It's a challenge at first, but you get used to it very fast.

And there are exceptions to this, reasons is okat for certain side benefits, etc.

Just generally.

Thanks, great post.

Generally, i never have more then 1 shake a day and that's PW...i just find it more beneficial to eat solid food instead..i always have cottage cheese for breakfast, tuna mid morning, chicken lunch, cottage cheese mid afternoon, shake PW, chicken/fish/beef for supper, eggs as a last meal..40-50g protein per serving...

zackmurphy
06-03-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Cure
Thanks, great post.

Generally, i never have more then 1 shake a day and that's PW...i just find it more beneficial to eat solid food instead..i always have cottage cheese for breakfast, tuna mid morning, chicken lunch, cottage cheese mid afternoon, shake PW, chicken/fish/beef for supper, eggs as a last meal..40-50g protein per serving...
That's good - whey is notoriously fast digesting (unless with milk, since the casein slows it down about 400%), but the real food is substantially more beneficial.

PJ40
06-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by zackmurphy

Just generally.

Thank you for the insight. How long would you say its good to wait to have the carbs and Fat seperate. In my case the Oats and Flax?

PJ

laidback
06-03-2004, 12:18 PM
How do you eat on off days? Do you eat the same anyhow?

zackmurphy
06-03-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by laidback
How do you eat on off days? Do you eat the same anyhow?
no pre or post workout shakes, of course, but otherwise your on and off day diets can be exactly the same.

zackmurphy
06-03-2004, 02:20 PM
Thank you for the insight. How long would you say its good to wait to have the carbs and Fat seperate. In my case the Oats and Flax?

PJ
A couple hours is fine, so they digest separately. My meals are all about 2-3 hours apart (more or less), and if I have a fat (& protein) meal at noon, my 2pm feeding can be carbs. You can structure it however you like, and see what works for you.