PDA

View Full Version : alcohol

pegleg
04-23-2002, 12:13 PM
I have heard that drinking is bad for weight lifters. How bad is it? Should i cut it out completely, or is something that doesn't really affect my performance.

=w=
04-23-2002, 02:57 PM
http://www.avantlabs.com/issue3/big_mfr_issue_3.htm
http://www.avantlabs.com/issue4/big_mfr_issue_4.htm

Nayl
04-23-2002, 08:03 PM
Just remember that the guy who does cut it out completely will always have an advantage that you don't. Then ask yourself how important it is to have that drink.

Telly
04-23-2002, 09:07 PM
I disagree. life is all about balance. If you enjoy having a social drink, it's hardly going to affect your bodybuilding. If you go out and get pissed every night, it will affecft alot more than just your bodybuilding.

Anxed
04-24-2002, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Telly
I disagree. life is all about balance. If you enjoy having a social drink, it's hardly going to affect your bodybuilding. If you go out and get pissed every night, it will affecft alot more than just your bodybuilding.

bump that... not to mention the relaxation benefits that a drink or two every here and there can provide.. it may not benefit me physically, but it does wonders for me mentally... :D

Tim
04-24-2002, 06:51 AM
I don't ever plan on competing, so I can afford to go out to the bars/ clubs once a week. I easily have enough definition (less than 10% bf) and size to be content with. I think only those who compete have to stay away from alcohol completely.

cramron
04-24-2002, 09:32 AM
im going to compete soon so i cant afford to drink, plus i dont like to drink so its all good

Coppahead
04-24-2002, 10:42 AM
You gotz to have a drink or 2 every now and then...lets you get loose and have some fun with those single girls at tha club!

Copperhead
04-24-2002, 01:36 PM
Alcohol lowers your test levels and will affect your bodybuilding performance. If your gonna compete than stay away from it. I personally quit drinking around 4 months ago and have not touched a drop(I used to go out for the weekends and get drunk) and i can tell you it was the best thing i ever did i feel so much better, im gaining a lot more strength, and just have an overall better feeling about myself. If you are disciplined enough and want something really bad like myself than you can and will sacrifice alcohol. Besides think of all the money you would save and can spend on supps : )

Coppahead
04-24-2002, 01:46 PM
Yeah, this is true...I have saved tons of money by just going out and having a few...but sometimes it is just nice to relax and chill...i understand your views though...

Gibby
04-24-2002, 08:50 PM
i haven't had a drop since dec 6 and i was into the stuff preaty heavy, since then i have lost 25lbs. and 8 in from my waiste i now have a 30 in waist, and once u have gone a month or so without achool u will realize that u don't really need it. And besides then u can still go out but u can be the DD. gibby

Hardgainer13
04-24-2002, 09:30 PM
Alot better bein a social drinker when goin out you def pick up more girls that way rather than bein a sloppy drunk

adonis
04-25-2002, 03:46 AM
if you take bodybuilding seriously, I would ditch the alcies.

i still drink on new years (maybe something like 4 coronas max) or on my birthday, a nice champy's.

while the rest of my mates are getting ****faced on beer(hey its australian culture) i'm drinking water and shakes at parties.

its your choice, abit of drink is not gonna hurt, but alcohol has too many bad points documented, i.e. lower level of protein synth just to name one.

Coppahead
04-25-2002, 05:46 AM
Yeah, I totally agree with being a social drinker. I used to think that the more alcohol I drank, the more girls I would pick up. Wrong was I! hehe Now, I did not drink alcohol for a month and the other night I had 2 beers. So, that was not bad. I am going to the club on Friday night so that will be my real test!

Kutulus
04-25-2002, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by pegleg
I have heard that drinking is bad for weight lifters. How bad is it? Should i cut it out completely, or is something that doesn't really affect my performance.

Duh! cut it out completely...

alcohol is really bad on your liver and since we eat so much protien that isn't all that good on the liver either, so basically we are destroying our livers. Cutting out alcohol will go a long way to preserving that vital organ...

Or you can just chug a 40oz and then take a couple grams of milk thistle

Copperhead
04-25-2002, 06:51 AM
quote:

Originally posted by Kutulus

Duh! cut it out completely...

alcohol is really bad on your liver and since we eat so much protien that isn't all that good on the liver either, so basically we are destroying our livers. Cutting out alcohol will go a long way to preserving that vital organ...

Or you can just chug a 40oz and then take a couple grams of milk thistle

There you have it a reply from someone who obviously know what he is talking about since he has over 2000 posts : )

Tim
04-25-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Coppahead
You gotz to have a drink or 2 every now and then...lets you get loose and have some fun with those single girls at tha club!
I completely agree! That's what I do. I ONLY drink when I go out; I NEVER kick back and have a few beers if I'm just hanging out and watching TV on a Friday night. Finding myself a woman is one of the few things in life that is actually more important to me than bodybuilding, as I've been depressingly single for years.

Jim SC
04-25-2002, 05:53 PM
one beer a day is said be very good as an antioxidant

adonis
04-25-2002, 05:55 PM
u sure that aint for red wine?

Tim
04-26-2002, 09:11 AM
They say that one glass of wine is good for your cirulatory system. However, drinking alcohol on a daily basis is not something I do. I prefer to have several beers (and some vodka on a Friday or Saturday night and I consider that my cheat meal. Lol. I'm not really too concerned about health; I just want to be as big and ripped as possible while firiring it up one night every week.

Jim SC
04-26-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by adonis
u sure that aint for red wine?

i saw a news special on it. i think it was on NBC news