PDA

View Full Version : LOTS of clean bulk questions...reps

rsm688
05-13-2007, 04:31 PM
this is stage 1 in me planning out my clean bulk. im getting all my questions answered before i start doing the calculations and meals and all. any help would be greatly appreciated

well im finishing my cut in a week. got a 2 week break and then starting a 9 month clean bulk starting this summer and going through most of my freshman year of college. Im hoping to put on around 30lbs of muscle and hardly any fat on in these 9 months, i know i will get some bf% increse, but im going for as little fat gain as possible. heres my questions....

1.) anyone got a good link to a calculator or something where i can find how many calories, proteins, carbs, fats, etc. i need for the optimal clean bulk or articles on clean bulks. (read a great one on t-nation once but i cant find it)

2.) During my clean bulk should i do cardio on non-workout days, once or twice a week, or not at all

3.) Clean Bulk Supplements:

-here is what i plan to use on my clean bulk, anything i should add or remove from this list?

ON BCAAs
ON 100% Whey
ON 100% Casein
Prolabs Creatine Mono
Gaspari SizeOn
NOW Adam
Fish Oil
Flaxseed Oil
Cytosport Cytogainer

4.) Clean Bulk Foods:

-I will eat pretty much the same thing every day, 6 meals a day 2-3 hours apart.

Meals will consist of:
Kashi GoLean
Milk
Sweet Potatoes
Eggs
Oats
Steak
Tilapia
Whole Wheat Bread
Ham
Turkey
Lettuce
Sugar Snap Peas
Broccoli
Tuna
Brown Rice
Wheat Bread
Natural Peanut Butter
Natural Jelly
Chef Jay's Tri-O-Plex Cookies
ISS Research Oh Yeah! Protein Wafer Bars
InStone High Protein Pudding

5.) Stretch Mark Prevention- well.....I DO NOT WANT STRETCH MARKS. the caps emphasizes my point. If i apply cocoa butter/lotion to my skin once a day should i be able to prevent stretch marks? any other good methods of preventing them that you know of?

6.) Its my freshman year of college, im going to be going through rush and im worried about not getting enough sleep. how many hours of sleep should i be getting a night for optimal muscle gains/no increase in bf?

7.) Anyone got any good tips, links to articles, or reccomendations on me starting my clean bulk?

-oh and i know not all of that post is nutrition, i got a little carried away when i started typing and added my supps and all in too.

Thanks,
Spencer

-reps for good responses-

Ibballard
05-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Well, kudos on the bulking plan. Overall it looks good. Few suggestions/points though

1. Do you really need the cytogainer? Between the whey, casein, and all the healthy foods in there you may not need to throw that in (unless you're a hard gainer?)

2. Of the foods you have listed, they're all pretty much pure healthy except for the ham. Ham's about the equivalent of bacon in fat and sodium content, not really the best thing to have in there.

3. If you're not going to be getting a full night's sleep try to get at least 4:30, and starting at that point, if you can sleep more sleep in 90 minute increments (this is how long it takes to complete a sleep cycle. So set your alarm for 4.5 hours of sleep, 6 hours, or seven and a half.

4. Doing cardio is really up to you. I know a lot of successful guys who don't do it. I do cardio because I do endurance training too. Your call.

nath123
05-13-2007, 04:57 PM
1) i dont exactly understand waht u mean but try www.fitday.com it calculates all mirconutrients. and gives u the calories need to maintain and helps add activities to calcualate better.

2) yes u should do carido 2-3 intense sessons 20minutes should be long enough.

3) supplements looks good thou i don think u need sizeon or cytogainer.

4)it all looks good thou u may want to add more foods so u can switch it up ur get tired of the same thing every day

5) i wouldnt worry about stretch marks since u should gain that fast but the lotion idea doesnt sound bad

6) sleep should be 8-9 hours a day dont kill ur self if u go under a couple nights a week it wont hurt just dont make it a habit

7)take it slow .5-1p a week and stay motiviated

rsm688
05-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Well, kudos on the bulking plan. Overall it looks good. Few suggestions/points though

1. Do you really need the cytogainer? Between the whey, casein, and all the healthy foods in there you may not need to throw that in (unless you're a hard gainer?)

2. Of the foods you have listed, they're all pretty much pure healthy except for the ham. Ham's about the equivalent of bacon in fat and sodium content, not really the best thing to have in there.

3. If you're not going to be getting a full night's sleep try to get at least 4:30, and starting at that point, if you can sleep more sleep in 90 minute increments (this is how long it takes to complete a sleep cycle. So set your alarm for 4.5 hours of sleep, 6 hours, or seven and a half.

4. Doing cardio is really up to you. I know a lot of successful guys who don't do it. I do cardio because I do endurance training too. Your call.

thanks for the quick response.

1.) now that you mention it i will be getting plenty of protein with my foods and whey/casein and i can save some $$$ by dropping the cytogainer, good call

2.) I will drop the ham and stick with turkey for my sandwiches. Currently on my cut i have been having whole wheat sandwiches with turkey, ham, lettuce, black olives, and fat free sweet onion sauce. I will ditch the ham though

3.) Never knew that about sleep being in 90 minute cycles, thats a helpful thing to know and i will take that into account from now on everytime i go to bed

4.) Im thinking i am going to not do any running or the sort but im thinking of doing BJJ which is a good bit of cardio so i will try to do no other cardio. and i get bored easily when running anyways

p.s.-repped

thanks,
spencer

rsm688
05-13-2007, 05:02 PM
1) i dont exactly understand waht u mean but try www.fitday.com it calculates all mirconutrients. and gives u the calories need to maintain and helps add activities to calcualate better.

2) yes u should do carido 2-3 intense sessons 20minutes should be long enough.

3) supplements looks good thou i don think u need sizeon or cytogainer.

4)it all looks good thou u may want to add more foods so u can switch it up ur get tired of the same thing every day

5) i wouldnt worry about stretch marks since u should gain that fast but the lotion idea doesnt sound bad

6) sleep should be 8-9 hours a day dont kill ur self if u go under a couple nights a week it wont hurt just dont make it a habit

7)take it slow .5-1p a week and stay motiviated

thanks for the link ill check it out. im ditching the cytogainer but i really like sizeon for preworkout, gives me a rush and i can get my creatine from it. the sizeon is for workout days and mono for off days (for $$ reasons). i cant eat all those foods a day and will have a couple cheat meals a week since i get a student food card for the cafe that i have to use $100 a month on. thanks for the tips, repped.

nath123
05-13-2007, 05:31 PM
k np ok ya then keep the sizeon and the mono that sounds reallly good didnt think about that idea

norcalmuscle
05-13-2007, 05:37 PM
I had the stretch mark problem a while ago and they were pretty dark but I used Vitamin E oil and they've been reduced to almost nothing now, so I'd suggest some Vitamin E oil.

Kanji4488
05-13-2007, 06:26 PM
the only advice i would give applies to it bieng your freshmen year of collage.....from someone whoes just finishing his freshmen year. i realize its different for everyone, but late nights become the norm....not optionally it just sort of happens. you end up in peoples rooms at odd hours of the night, at odd places and doing strange stuff. I found that it was difficult to resist temptation, alcholl, drugs, ect. also, sticking that literally to a bulking plan without knowing whats in you collage cafateria is going to be hard, cause i know you prob have a meal plan. also figuring out how much stuff you can keep in the fridge and when you can get to the gym between classes. also in terms of nutrition on the weekends, if your hanging out with friends, its really hard to ditch people and be like, sorry guys i need to eat. im not trying to knock what your trying to do cause it sounds like a well thought out bulk plan and its a good time to do it, cause most people gain weight then....im just saying that perhaps doing a plan that is that regimented may not work out in the long run....also, i found it reallllly hard to get 9 hours of sleep on any night

rsm688
05-13-2007, 06:47 PM
the only advice i would give applies to it bieng your freshmen year of collage.....from someone whoes just finishing his freshmen year. i realize its different for everyone, but late nights become the norm....not optionally it just sort of happens. you end up in peoples rooms at odd hours of the night, at odd places and doing strange stuff. I found that it was difficult to resist temptation, alcholl, drugs, ect. also, sticking that literally to a bulking plan without knowing whats in you collage cafateria is going to be hard, cause i know you prob have a meal plan. also figuring out how much stuff you can keep in the fridge and when you can get to the gym between classes. also in terms of nutrition on the weekends, if your hanging out with friends, its really hard to ditch people and be like, sorry guys i need to eat. im not trying to knock what your trying to do cause it sounds like a well thought out bulk plan and its a good time to do it, cause most people gain weight then....im just saying that perhaps doing a plan that is that regimented may not work out in the long run....also, i found it reallllly hard to get 9 hours of sleep on any night

thanks man, yeah i have a meal plan but i just got off the phone with a bud whose up there this year and he said they have steaks and grilled chicken and fish and stuff so i can eat that at the cafeteria. my fridge can fit all the food i need and i know it will be tough to get my meals in, im planning on keeping a protein bar or two in my pocket at all times. im really hardcore about this clean bulk and i will be dedicated. i know i wont be able to get 9 hours of sleep that often. i know most people really get tempted with all the alcohol and drugs but im not worried about that, ive been there and done that WAYYYY before my time. got drunk my first time in 5th grade and got high in 8th grade (my neighbors who were hot ass girls 4 years older than me were a bad influence on me haha) and i have drugs thrown at me all the time and dont really get tempted, i casually drink but nothing too big and not every night. thanks for the tips its nice to here experiences from people who just finished up the scenario im about to be in. repped.

thanks,
spencer

rsm688
05-13-2007, 08:16 PM
also, anyone know how to scramble eggs in your dorm???

PennState
05-13-2007, 08:54 PM
put the eggs in a little cup, and nuke them for a bit if you have a microwave. They come out crappy by comparison, but if you make an egg sandwhich or eat them with ketchup of something it is ok.

rsm688
05-13-2007, 09:10 PM
i was thinking about doing that until they are just kinda runny then putting them on my george foreman grill haha.

norcalmuscle
05-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Go to Target, Wal-Mart or wherever and get one of these, it's what I used to make eggs in the dorms. You can cook lots of stuff, just get a pot and pan. You can make eggs, brown rice, etc.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-2/qid=1179117262/ref=sr_1_2/602-5123820-6867037?ie=UTF8&asin=B000B2WOWE

jamez123
05-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Things to remember:

1. Drink A gallon or more water per day.
2. 8+ hours of sleep. I try to get 10

DutchDynamite
05-14-2007, 03:44 AM
i think you where looking for this:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956

i started out with no cardio and gained fat fast so now i do 2 x week 30min HIT cardio, weights 4 times a week and this is much better.

Ever since i started to work out i sleep less, so 8 hours i never get. I always wake up fresh after 6/30 - 7 hours.

Finding your right diet will take you some trial and error but focus on eating the same food for a week to see what happens. This way you know exactly where it went wrong, fix it, add or take out something and move on to the next diet.

Ad calories little at a time is my advice. I did my 2 weeks maintenance and started to bulk, added the calories still to quickly (i guess) and gained zero muscle only fat...so be care full in adding the calories...cause your body isn't use to the calories after cutting for months.

good luck

rsm688
05-14-2007, 11:19 AM
thanks guys, repped. jamez i will rep ya on recharge

Kanji4488
05-15-2007, 11:19 AM
yo, the other thing i learned that might help is that shakes are invaluable. i started mixing skim milk and protein powder in a shaker, since i already baught the protein powder id just steal the skim from coffe places on campus. most profs didnt care if i did this in class cause they assumed it was water and then you dont run into the akward situation of hanging around someones room and just cashually pulling out a protein bar.

tryharder1
05-15-2007, 11:22 AM
I don't understand why your bulk has to be "clean". If you keep your macros in check, and your end caloric intake above maintenance but not at an extreme level, you'll gain muscle and fat at whatever your training and genetics allows for. The "clean" quality of food has nothing to do with it.

All you're doing is making it more expensive, more restrictive, and less enjoyable. Why?

Cuchulainn
05-15-2007, 12:17 PM
As far as Macros go I have bulked on a standard 40/40/20 (carbs protein fat) and later on a 20/40/40 (carbs protein fat) both worked. Eat healthy with adequete protein and a caloric surplus and you will grow. Drink in moderation, alchohol lowers test levels plus there is a ton of carbs in that beer you are dinking right before bed.

Many people have a tendency to overcompensate after a cut when leading into a bulk. Start slowly into your bulk; your maintance will be lower than what it was before your cut.

jamiec11
12-25-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm 18, 5"9, my maintance calories is around 2000 would 2700 be enough for a clean bulk making graduall size gains with minimal fat gains ?

psychodiver9
12-25-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm 18, 5"9, my maintance calories is around 2000 would 2700 be enough for a clean bulk making graduall size gains with minimal fat gains ?

Solid 5year bump

maximuminc
12-25-2012, 12:17 PM

A clean bulk is maintenance plus 10-20% extra calories - your 2700 maybe slightly high for what would be considered a clean bulk.

Good luck on the bulk!