PDA

View Full Version : Splenda - The Tue Lable

BabyBodybuilder
05-12-2007, 06:18 AM
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c22PE.html

This is just for the people who coat their food in splenda :D

Oddball8945
05-12-2007, 06:22 AM
thus the reason why i switched to pure Stevia no BS fillers and hidden calories.

BabyBodybuilder
05-12-2007, 06:25 AM
thus the reason why i switched to pure Stevia no BS fillers and hidden calories.

Yeah, but it's super expensive in the US because of the ****ing FDA

Oddball8945
05-12-2007, 06:36 AM
meh 10 bucks for an ounce bottle of the stuff aint bad at all. i do use it pretty fast(1-2 bottle a week) but then again thats me. Most of you guys will have that 10 dollar bottle last a month so its not bad at all.

try getting pure aspartame or suclarose thats up in the 20$

BabyBodybuilder
05-12-2007, 06:40 AM
meh 10 bucks for an ounce bottle of the stuff aint bad at all. i do use it pretty fast(1-2 bottle a week) but then again thats me. Most of you guys will have that 10 dollar bottle last a month so its not bad at all.

try getting pure aspartame or suclarose thats up in the 20$

Show me where you found that!!!!

Oddball8945
05-12-2007, 06:46 AM
Show me where you found that!!!!

well i can't "show" you physically lol but i will provide a link to the product that i get.

http://www.sweetleaf.com/category.php?subcat=products&subpage=stevia_extract

Stores that do have the stevia i get/similar products to it however are

Whole Foods
Trader Joes
Wegmans

BB.com sells sucralose

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ai/suc.html

skinnyboipgh
05-12-2007, 06:47 AM
That's what the "hidden" calories r from . . .

But I don't care 4 stevia & u can't cook w/ aspartame, so I'm not going 2 stop using Splenda b/c of that, I just try 2 be moderate in my intake.

Some ppl go totally out of control w/ Splenda b/c it says "zero calorie" on the packet & put the equivalent of 1/2 cup sugar on their morning bowl of oats :eek:

Remember, it only counts as zero if u use just one packet . . . ;)

I find it helps 2 use the granulated kind of Splenda, that way I can see the sugar equivalent of what I'm using. :)

Oddball8945
05-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Some ppl go totally out of control w/ Splenda b/c it says "zero calorie" on the packet & put the equivalent of 1/2 cup sugar on their morning bowl of oats :eek:

Remember, it only counts as zero if u use just one packet . . . ;)

same way people liberally use PAM Spray thinking its zero calories LOL

Pearson666
05-12-2007, 07:04 AM
i only use about 2-3 packets a day. Usually 1 in the morning with oats. 1 packet at nite with my CC + PB. Sometimes I add a packet for my post workout if i have oats.

BabyBodybuilder
05-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Maybe someone should go find all the "hidden~" calories in all the most common sweeteners. I say this because I can't find anything on Nutrasweet, Equal, Sweet-n-Low, or my Liquid Smoky Mountain (saccharin) :D

tweaked17
05-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Umm... I don't use splenda, but doesn't it clearly state on the package that there's dextrose/maltodextrin added? And when it says "Total Carbohydrate - Less than 1g" shouldn't that also tell you something, considering the fact that sucralose is not a carbohydrate?

To me, when you say less than 1g carbohydrate per serving, I think well, slightly less than 4 calories from carbs per serving.

From their site:

Has no calories (Less than 5) and no carbohydrates (less than 1 gram) per serving.

They don't really HIDE the fact, and I don't consider it sneaky manipulation of labeling regulations either. Especially since the per-gram caloric content of macronutrients is given on most labels; simple math done in your head should tell you: less than 4, more than 0. Unfortunately, even though people look at dozens of these labels daily, very few actually know where calories come from any in what amounts (e.g. my friend who's trying to gain weight had no idea why I would recommend putting olive oil in protein shakes, and I had to explain to him that fat has 9 cals/g - he's 20 years old and in college... come on).

clovely
05-12-2007, 07:41 AM
The artificial sweeteners all scare me. I used to work in "tobacco control" (with teens) and I'm convinced diet sodas will be our next cigarettes. I've given it up. I prefer honest to goodness sugar most of the time, just in moderation. I've started using Stevia in my tea. Just because it fits in numerically with our goals and macroneutrients, there's stuff in there that I just don't think humans should be consuming!!

terracotta
05-12-2007, 08:11 AM
BB.com sells sucralose

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ai/suc.html

Yeah, the liquid sucralose has no calories. To put something that is MUCH sweeter than sugar in a little packet requires them to bulk it up with maltodextrin.

terracotta
05-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Maybe someone should go find all the "hidden~" calories in all the most common sweeteners. I say this because I can't find anything on Nutrasweet, Equal, Sweet-n-Low, or my Liquid Smoky Mountain (saccharin) :D

Any of those little packets which contain maltodextrin have 2-3 calories per packet.

tweaked17
05-12-2007, 08:19 AM
Any of those little packets which contain maltodextrin have 2-3 calories per packet.

^^ this thread does not deliver :D

BabyBodybuilder
05-12-2007, 08:20 AM

So, you're saying only the powder form ones have calories, and the liquid ones don't?

terracotta
05-12-2007, 08:23 AM
So, you're saying only the powder form ones have calories, and the liquid ones don't?

Yes.

But I am talking about artificial sweeteners. Any of those sugar alcohols have calories to start with.

tweaked17
05-12-2007, 08:27 AM

it's simple: concentrated non-caloric sweetener = no calories

non-caloric sweetener with maltodextrin filler = some calories

sugar alcohols = calories

TheNewestGuy
05-12-2007, 08:37 AM
I use stevia when I can, because I despise the concept of putting artificial chemicals in my body.

But the better solution is to learn how to not sweeten things at all. I drink my teas without sweetener, my shakes without sweetener, etc. If I really want something it's honey or stevia, and that's worked out very well for me.

Jules Verne
05-14-2007, 12:12 PM
They don't really HIDE the fact, and I don't consider it sneaky manipulation of labeling regulations either.

For the powder I remember reading it's 100kcal/cup - not sure what that equated to in packets, but for the taste, it's perfectly acceptable for me.

You'd really have to go at it hard to put 1 cup on your food/day, and how many people are really accurate to 25-50kcal/day anyway? Even for the die-hards here, I'm not sure it would make that much difference, so essentially zero/minimal calories - so I agree with the above statement.

I use a lot, maybe 1/3 cup/day so about 35kcal. I 'accidentally' eat more than that sniffing vegetables and 'accidentally' dropping in a few extra blueberries or strawberries with my cottage cheese.

And have a lot more problems with my diet that I could fix first - like my mentos habit!

erica514
05-14-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm growing my own Stevia this season. Can't use the dried herb for EVERYTHING (ie...little leafy pieces in coffee isn't too appetizing), but I can use it in cooking or whatnot. :) We'll see how it goes.

tryharder1
05-14-2007, 01:55 PM
HOLY ****.

3 calories? 3 mother****ing calories per gram? What is that, 1 calorie per packet? How can they hide this from the honest consumer!? Is there no justice?!!

Well, that's it, guys. Splenda has ruined my diet, and made me fat, radically skewing my 48/24/39 ratio to 48/24/39.1 - I'm going to go purge right now. I feel sick.

**** YOU SPLENDA!

Hazsun
05-14-2007, 02:07 PM
HOLY ****.

3 calories? 3 mother****ing calories per gram? What is that, 1 calorie per packet? How can they hide this from the honest consumer!? Is there no justice?!!

Well, that's it, guys. Splenda has ruined my diet, and made me fat, radically skewing my 48/24/39 ratio to 48/24/39.1 - I'm going to go purge right now. I feel sick.

**** YOU SPLENDA!

lol, amen

xamadeix
05-14-2007, 02:44 PM
yup. i use probably 15 packetss a day.. 45 cals..times by 7..315 cals a week.. welp i'm screwed! haha.

tweaked17
05-14-2007, 03:15 PM
yup. i use probably 15 packetss a day.. 45 cals..times by 7..315 cals a week.. welp i'm screwed! haha.

jeez, how do people use so much splenda? I can't think of one thing I could use splenda for.. i drink coffee black, eat sugarless chocolate, and put honey in my oats...

is it mostly shakes and oats for you guys?

I probably get a lot of acesulfame potassium though, from the ON double choc., the occasional muscle milk, and this really good Fuze diet pomegranate white tea drink I got hooked on =(

xamadeix
05-14-2007, 03:18 PM
i eat 1 1/2 cups of oats a day, 4 packets in each 1/2 cup.. 3 cups of coffee 1 packet per cup.

tuberacer49
05-14-2007, 03:22 PM
This thread is some seriously bad comedy. It's one thing to be against Splenda because it's synthetic ****, but to bitch and moan about 3-4 measly 'hidden' calories? Be for real.

Pearson666
05-14-2007, 04:04 PM
tweaked17,

1 packet of splenda per 1/2cup oats would have less calories than 1 tbsp of honey, of course. That's why i use splenda, i normally do not like to eat sugar to get my insulin as sensitive as possible. Only sugars i eat are from milk and fruits. I rarely use honey for my post-wo oats n whey.

tweaked17
05-14-2007, 04:46 PM
tweaked17,

1 packet of splenda per 1/2cup oats would have less calories than 1 tbsp of honey, of course. That's why i use splenda, i normally do not like to eat sugar to get my insulin as sensitive as possible. Only sugars i eat are from milk and fruits. I rarely use honey for my post-wo oats n whey.

I understand, but what I was getting at was even if I WAS trying to cut back on calories, I would never make it to 15 packets in a day. I barely even add the honey to my oats most days.

Just sayin. :D

Pearson666
05-14-2007, 04:55 PM
I understand, but what I was getting at was even if I WAS trying to cut back on calories, I would never make it to 15 packets in a day. I barely even add the honey to my oats most days.

Just sayin. :D

True, adding more than 1 packet to anything at once is overdoing it IMHO.

Mango
05-14-2007, 05:04 PM
jeez, how do people use so much splenda? I can't think of one thing I could use splenda for.. i drink coffee black, eat sugarless chocolate, and put honey in my oats...

You eat sugarless chocolate?? :eek: Ew!! :p How can you do that to yourself. That hurts, dude, it hurts. :(

I used to put splenda in my dry curd cottage cheese, um, in my shakes, er, in my coffee, um, in tea, in friggin' everything I could. Then Emma pointed out that it isn't calorie free, so I just added it in my macros.

tweaked17
05-14-2007, 05:30 PM
You eat sugarless chocolate?? :eek: Ew!! :p How can you do that to yourself. That hurts, dude, it hurts. :(

I used to put splenda in my dry curd cottage cheese, um, in my shakes, er, in my coffee, um, in tea, in friggin' everything I could. Then Emma pointed out that it isn't calorie free, so I just added it in my macros.

Quiet Mango, if that is your real name.

I don't even know you anymore.

Dark chocolate and black coffee are two of my favorite things. So are ice cream and cheesecake. It's not that I don't have as sweet tooth, that's just my taste :D

Mango
05-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Ice cream and cheesecake?! :eek: Where's your skirt, Nancy?! :p Hee hee hee!!

Coffee=f**king awesome, but black?? Isn't it incredibly bitter?? I suppose that's why you go for dark chocolate, too. I'll agree with the dark chocolate, but I'll never believe black coffee is better than coffee with some skim and sweetner!! :p

grapemaster
05-22-2007, 03:17 PM
hrrmmm yeah i've been considering just dropping all the artificial sweeteners, only thing its gonna effect is my ergopharm... but NOW wpi is all natural and cheap... definitely not good as ergopharm... but maybe better in the long run on the safe side...

CHM
05-22-2007, 07:31 PM
I am drinking a diet soda right now (Shasta). On the ingredients, it says Sucralose (Splenda brand). How does that work? Is it like the packets or the concentrated sucralose?

tweaked17
05-22-2007, 07:38 PM
How does that work? Is it like the packets or the concentrated sucralose?

I'm not sure, but if it has that logo "made with splenda" on the label you can assume it's the standard splenda blend of sucralose/malto (check to see if there are carbs). if only sucralose is listed as a sweetener you can assume it's liquid sucralose if there are no carbs.

ZDub212
05-22-2007, 08:02 PM
You people actually enjoy Stevia? I think it's nice in drinks, but horrid in solid foods IE yogurt, oats, etc.

Kanji4488
05-22-2007, 09:41 PM
u know, its mabey 100 calories. and its realllly easy to use a lot of that stuff....i put like 8 in my cottage cheeese tonight and i ushually go 4 per cup of coffe.

Jules Verne
05-23-2007, 04:54 AM
You people actually enjoy Stevia? I think it's nice in drinks, but horrid in solid foods IE yogurt, oats, etc.

I triewd it for the first time the other day. It's OK in coffee, but I agree. It has a bit of an aftertaste and leaves my mouth all dry (the real issue I have with it).

Still I think I'll use it when travelling or at a work conference when I'm likely to drink a lot of coffee and go through over 20 packets of splenda a day.

grapemaster
05-23-2007, 06:15 AM

I can't use it, tried 3 different brands, wanted to see wha the hype was about... NOW, and a few kinds they had a trader joes.... all taste like garbage to me and leave a strange aftertaste I can't stand. Personally I don't *need* the sweeteners at all, theres nothing I eat that I need to add it to, its just in some of the protein powders. I mean splenda packets are essentialy high gi carb everytime you eat the stuff b/c of the malto, only takes a lil bit to spike insulin

noahklop
05-23-2007, 07:22 AM
Dont see why everyone is getting so upset, go to the splenda website. 1 whole cup of splenda is only 100 calories and like 24 carbs. And i really doubt if anyone would use this much, i probably use at most 1/4 cup a day. Calm down people.

CHM
05-23-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure, but if it has that logo "made with splenda" on the label you can assume it's the standard splenda blend of sucralose/malto (check to see if there are carbs). if only sucralose is listed as a sweetener you can assume it's liquid sucralose if there are no carbs.

There are no carbs listed. The ingredients say its made with sucralose, but then right next to it in parenthesis it reads (Splenda Brand). I don't know?

CHM
05-23-2007, 10:47 AM

Man, I love stevia! I use Sweet Leaf brand. There is no bitter taste at all. The only thing bad about it is, it sometimes clumps up.

sborton84
05-23-2007, 10:52 AM

Sorry to get off topic, but I love unsweetened pure dark chocolate! I dunno, it's weird, but I love the bitter taste of that 100% cacao from ghirardelli.

tweaked17
05-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Sorry to get off topic, but I love unsweetened pure dark chocolate! I dunno, it's weird, but I love the bitter taste of that 100% cacao from ghirardelli.

join us on the dark side :D

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1460091

sborton84
05-23-2007, 11:10 AM
join us on the dark side :D

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1460091

hehe, yes, i shall!