PDA

View Full Version : leg workout for people with a knee injury

syo202
11-22-2001, 09:26 PM
Hi guys. I was wondering what a good regiment would be for a leg workout? I've had previous knee injuries due to martial arts competitions. As a result, that prohibits me from doing heavy squats. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks in advance.

-Tom

Fresch
11-26-2001, 03:08 AM
More information please!!!! What type of injuries have you had??

Depending on your type of injury, you may be able to do leg presses instead, lunges, knee extensions would depend on the type of injury you had......so please tell more!!

Richie
12-02-2001, 03:29 PM
i worked around a knee injury by warming up on the staionary bike for around 2 minutes and then going real hard for about 3 minutes until my legs were fully pumped (keep your knees as close together as you can while cycling) then do leg presses and lunges onto a high block (not the floor as this aggrivated my injury). i cut leg extensions completely as they really seemed to bother me as much as everyone told me to "warm up with extensions".also, don't start hamstrings movements with straight legs as there is is a chance of over extending your knee which used to bother me as well so start with your legs slightly bent and this will keep constant tension on it. hope this helps.Richie

Andrew81
12-03-2001, 10:23 AM
The best way to prevent further knee injuries is to strengthen all of the muscles around the knee area, mainly quads, hams, and calves. Depending on your injuries, you still should beable to do most leg exercises. Leg press for you seems to be an obvious choice as you can work both quads and hams on it (place feet higher up to work hams* I'm sure you knew, just a friendly reminder) I am not a real big proponent of leg press, but if you cannot squat, its the next best thing. Do alot of calf work. Can you deadlift at all? That would help your hams alot, but seeing as I don't know your knee injury I really can't give you anything else, I only know from my personal experiences w/ my ACL(s).
Hope i helped!

tl_D
04-27-2010, 10:11 PM
walking is good

jacobbowerman3
07-28-2014, 06:32 AM
Hi, I had knee arthroscopy roughly 3-4 months ago to remove a bit of bone that had been floating around the knee for a while. I've gotten back into sport (basketball) and my knee pains vary from day to day. It's not necessarily pain, but just awkwardness and strange cracking noises when I bend and then straighten my knee. I do squats at the gym and when I bend down and then straighten my legs to come back up, my knee cracks and feels strange and not right, no pain, just awkwardness and doesn't feel comfortable. My GP told me to strengthen my quads, glutes and hamstrings, so that is why I'm trying to do squats etc at they gym, but I find it very hard to strengthen the muscles as I cannot bend and straighten my knee 100%. Was just wondering if people could give their opinions and what you think could possibly be happening, and if it's serious.
Thanks

Kiran58
10-12-2015, 04:37 AM
I have similar concern about leg injury... am new here and was browsing, searched for injury found this... is it ok if i carry on discussion here ? or should i start new elsewhere in any other section.

aman88
10-12-2015, 05:15 AM
This really depends on the injury, severity of the injury, and how long it has been/ how well it has healed. Recently I hurt my knee so I did PT myself on it for a couple weeks before trying anything else.

Sit to stand on a bench
Glute extensions
Hip abd and add

Those seemed to help me. But the term "knee injury" does not give the necessary information needed to help you much, sorry. Each injury can require/ limit different types of exercises.

audia316
01-16-2016, 09:41 PM
I have had a meniscus tear in my knee but i kept training and playing football, this actually was not a good idea as it ended up me loosing more cartilage and the bone to bone rubbing turned into arthritis, my best advice i been told is to train the muslces around the knee your hamstring, calf's and quads also use knee protection to help ease the load and pressure on the knee, http://ammfitness.co.uk and i fink physioroom have good straps and protection which will help, just do not leave it to late have it checked and look after it.

adore1030
02-27-2017, 09:59 AM
Sine 2012 i have faced knee pain due to 300 squats at one stretch.After MRI it was minor meniscus tear in my left knee.I have visited many doctors and did physiotherapy as well but no relief.I am practicing knee exercise but still feel pain sometimes.Please advice some good exercise and medicine to strengthen my knee.PLEASE RESPOND

Mattese
05-04-2017, 09:37 AM
i worked around a knee injury by warming up on the staionary bike for around 2 minutes and then going real hard for about 3 minutes until my legs were fully pumped (keep your knees as close together as you can while cycling) then do leg presses and lunges onto a high block (not the floor as this aggrivated my injury). i cut leg extensions completely as they really seemed to bother me as much as everyone told me to "warm up with extensions".also, don't start hamstrings movements with straight legs as there is is a chance of over extending your knee which used to bother me as well so start with your legs slightly bent and this will keep constant tension on it. hope this helps.Richie

Informative advice, thanks!