PDA

View Full Version : Does Political parties really matter anymore

Neil_I
05-01-2004, 03:23 PM
I was thinking about this the other day.
Does Political parties really matter anymore?
O a macro scale, does it really matter which party is in power? The whole ECA banning is a case in point. The cynics would say it was banned because the pharmaceuticals wield so much lobbying power with congress. Was it done for the good of people's health? Or was it done to protect people's profits?
I think in the UK, that there probably wont be much difference in the Tories are in power unfortunately. Apart from differences on Europe, there probably wouldn't be much of a change in a tangible, national sense. I think the civil servants and non elected advisors are really the ones running the show.

I'm not saying it's a big conspiracy lead by the descendants of the Rockefellers, Morgans and Rothschilds, but the way industry hold so much lobbying power is quite a blow to the value of democracy that people seem to hold so dear.

What does anyone else think? I know its not a new concept, but as I said, I got on to thinking about it the other day and am curious as to what you all think.

LethalOnGuitarZ
05-01-2004, 03:32 PM
I agree with what you're saying about Industry holding so much lobbying power, which destroys the will of democracy.

Political Parties do matter though... I believe one day our Democratic Governments will be so saturated with corruption that the people will loose faith in it all together...

BigBoogie
05-01-2004, 03:34 PM
It doesnt matter who you vote for they're all a bunch of liars.

A better question is do sub forums matter?

Bad_Vibes
05-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Here in the U.S. the two party system if filled with contradictions. The Democrats are who the gay-lesbian coalitions and a huge majority of the black vote goes toward is actually the party that fought for Slavery during the Civil War. I had and still have some racist relatives that are diehard democrats. And they come from a long line of democrats.

Then on the republican side the platform is less government involvment and more states rights. But that is what the democrats wanted about century and a half ago. And government has actually grown since the republicans have been running things over the last few years.

I'm republican mostly because of the southern democrats I grew up around. But really I should have just registered independent. And besides they are almost all bought and paid for anyway.

johnnyironboard
05-01-2004, 05:55 PM
They matter on the presidential side of things. Democrats tend toward give aways and Rebuplicans tend toward rewarding hard work.

CerealKiller
05-01-2004, 06:16 PM
There the same.

Democrats are republicans with less money. Both think they're entitled to your money before you are.

Bad_Vibes
05-01-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by CerealKiller
There the same.

Democrats are republicans with less money. Both think they're entitled to your money before you are.

Haha, I never thought about it that way. Of course Kerry doesn't fit that stereotype. He tries to portray it, but he's more of the Kennedy type dem. He's as rich or richer than any republican. Telling me I need to use less gas and making me feel guilty while he's flying around in some private jet his wife bought him that uses more fuel than I have used in my whole life.

The ones where I live do fit it though. Brad Carson is our only democratic rep in congress, the rest are repubs. He campaigns in a pickup truck.

E-Sizzle
05-01-2004, 08:47 PM
The two major political parties are all money grubbing whores. I realized that neither candidates are worth a damn and won't do **** to improve our lives or at the very least, maintain them. Democrats are lobbying for two years mandatory service, the GOP wants a draft. Which would be fine, if there was anything worth fighting over.

The recent deaths in Iraq are proof that we're not wanted there. So we might as well just back off. We're already in a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation; why have more soldiers killed? Bush kicked Saddam's ass, thats great. We got some more countries to stop being *******s, great. We have accomplished what we needed to do and now its time to leave. Yet Bush is going to be bull-headed and keep sending troops over there until one day I receive a letter telling me I need to report to the local recruitment office to get shipped off to war.

I used to switch sides, left wing, right wing, but nowadays, those are just some cocked-up bull**** created by political 'gurus' who barely know anything than what they project to know. Right now I'm moderate. I'm just tired of lying politicians who front like they're for the people. I think this November, I'm voting Libertarian. I'm tired of Big Brother trying to ban **** just because morons are just that...morons.

Reborn79
05-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by johnnyironboard
They matter on the presidential side of things. Democrats tend toward give aways and Rebuplicans tend toward rewarding hard work.

Ah, I can smell the right-wing rhetoric from here.

BIONIC MAN
05-02-2004, 03:13 PM
BEING A very conservative democrat i hate the liberal democrats that have ruined the party. and i cannot stand republicans that are so conservative they will not help there parents, and log cabin republicans are demented . independent should be the way to vote go for the lesser of the two evils.

Jcfreak_02
05-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by LethalOnGuitarZ
I agree with what you're saying about Industry holding so much lobbying power, which destroys the will of democracy.

Political Parties do matter though... I believe one day our Democratic Governments will be so saturated with corruption that the people will loose faith in it all together... And then if we still have our second amendment rights we can fix everything by force if necessary.

Jcfreak_02
05-02-2004, 08:00 PM
I find that the political parties still matter hugely. I care about the social schema of the politics more than the economic side, and as one of the other threads explained the GOP is just a Christian polical party now... They are still a world of difference, why and how they do whatever they want to do is what might be the similar factors.

Starsky
05-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Reborn79
Ah, I can smell the right-wing rhetoric from here.

Democrats take money from the successful and redistribute it to those they deem worthy, most of which have not worked enough to equal their welfare at fair market value.

The entire basis for their existence is legalized theft, much like Trial Lawyers.

Chasedog
05-02-2004, 10:38 PM
They do matter. If it wasn't a two party system, we'd have a thousand candidates. All of whom are trying to get elected by their one special interest group.

IMO, the problem isn't just the industrial lobbying. It's all the special interest groups. They spend the time making noise and spending money to further their cause. Meanwhile, the will of the people is flat out ignored. The majority doesn't rule, reelection money does.