PDA

View Full Version : Nightline Tonight

Reborn79
04-30-2004, 03:15 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55041-2004Apr29.html

Ah yes, honoring the dead is undermining the war in Iraq, great logic!

I guess we shouldn't even post the names of the fallen soldiers at all, such as in the paper or on the web, as that would be undermining the war in Iraq as well.

And for those of you who think it is political, what are you afraid of? Are you afraid of giving the 500+ 'combat' deaths in Iraq faces and actually showing that these people who served our country had lives and were just like you and I? And how do you feel about showing the charred bodies of the contractors on the news? Isn't that a hundred times worse than this?

I for one will be watching it tonight...the WHOLE show. It is the least I can do for those troops who died serving our country. And all I can say about this 'Sinclair' company (the one that is 'protesting' this), I am glad that they have no stations in my market, as they have stepped across the line of decency by clearly declaring their support of the right wing.

And finally, for those of who who say *I* am politicizing this, I have this to say: If wanting the American public to understand the cost of war, and the ultimate sacrifice that these soldiers paid for this war, is 'politicizing', then I'm guilty as charged.

FiveOneNine
04-30-2004, 03:22 PM
I believe what you've expressed is exactly what they are concerned about. You hear about soldiers being killed in smaller numbers and it seems - and I don't like to say this - less significant. You air the names of 500 people, it gives people a more real sense of what is happening. That 500 families are in mourning and that soldiers are sacrificing their lives for something that in some cases they no longer want a part in. You see what I mean?

It is very sad that this not allowed but it is strategic war propaghanda. It's the same reason why they limit images/footage of Iraqi citizens and soldiers so much. They don't want you to see a young boy with no arms as a result of US attack, pleading for someone to help him loacte his arms. <<(That's true by the way) They're afraid you will relate and express sympathy to the "enemy".

LordNeon
04-30-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by FiveOneNine
It is very sad that this not allowed but it is strategic war propaghanda. .

I have to agree here. Whether intentional or not, showing the troops in this light is going to make an antiwar statement. That doesn't make it wrong, misleading, or inappropriate, though. Like Reborn said, if the war's rationale can't hold up in the face of this kind of scrutiny, it's not worth fighting.

BIONIC MAN
04-30-2004, 08:01 PM
when i think about the war ,i think about all the people who lost there lives in the twin towers and pentagon. islamic and arabic terroists should have no hiding place ANYWHERE!!! IF your jew or american the terroist label you a infidel WORTHY if death. everybody should see people jumping out of the towers [TRUE]everytime they feel sorry for islamic countries who are defiant of america and sponsor terroism .

supergarr
04-30-2004, 08:11 PM
Yea, Although i feel they should be honered, I dont think Ted is the man to do it. The media does this all the time, everytime it says "another soldier/soldiers were killed today, making this the bloodiest blah blah ever seen".

irpker
04-30-2004, 08:43 PM
The images on television are the most significant pieces of information relayed to the public.

The genius part of this propaganda, is that nothing has to be said. It's obvious the conclusion that Americans will draw from watching personal photographs of five-hundred plus dead American Soldiers, one after the other. Guilt and empathy will compound after each and every picture shown.