PDA

View Full Version : Coffee not dehydrating?

xamadeix
05-09-2007, 01:36 AM
http://health.msn.com/centers/sleep/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100153347&page=1&GT1=10006

Very intresting.

tstrenuous10
05-09-2007, 02:30 AM
thats so bogus...an 11 day study using 60 males and using caffeine pills? I'll take proven science over some MSN article anyday. Saying drinking water is the same as drinking coffee for increased urine effect is just stupid. Two cups is truly one "cup" today. Look at the pot the next time you make coffee...when's the last time you made 10 "cups" and filled your coffee cup 10 times?

No offense to you. You didn't write the article but I doubt it very much.

xamadeix
05-09-2007, 02:39 AM
Yeah I know, I'd like to see a bodybuilder drink coffee all day and see how far he gets.

in10city
05-09-2007, 03:10 AM
http://health.msn.com/centers/sleep/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100153347&page=1&GT1=10006

Very intresting.
Not really. It's old news. Furthermore, caffeine's diuretic effect is attenuated with continued use due to bodily adaptations.

medo30886
05-09-2007, 04:27 AM

Very intresting.
Drink water alot any way to keep ur self well hydrated

Jules Verne
05-09-2007, 04:42 AM
Not really. It's old news. Furthermore, caffeine's diuretic effect is attenuated with continued use due to bodily adaptations.

Yea, the diuretic effect of coffee is way over-hyped in the BBing community where pure water is the 'only' thing that can hydrate you. I guess it will depend on how strong your coffee is to some extent, but anything with water in it is going to hydrate you to some extent - maybe not as much as water of course.

grapemaster
05-09-2007, 04:54 AM
hmmm caffiene in general, even building up huge tolerance over a period of years for me really dehydrated me and made me go to the bathroom quite a bit more.

jdominic6
05-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Yeah I know, I'd like to see a bodybuilder drink coffee all day and see how far he gets.

i drink two cups in the morning and sometimes a cup after lunch at work each day : D

i drink a ton of water though and wouldn't consider myself a hard core BBer either.

tweaked17
05-09-2007, 06:45 AM
thats so bogus...an 11 day study using 60 males and using caffeine pills? I'll take proven science over some MSN article anyday. Saying drinking water is the same as drinking coffee for increased urine effect is just stupid. Two cups is truly one "cup" today. Look at the pot the next time you make coffee...when's the last time you made 10 "cups" and filled your coffee cup 10 times?

No offense to you. You didn't write the article but I doubt it very much.

LOL it was a study conducted at UConn; as soon as a study is written about in a non-scientific publication it becomes invalid!?

troof, as usual.

A cup or two of coffee, even daily, will not make a significant difference. Especially in a population of people who are constantly drinking water at other times of the day. Enjoy your coffee, it's yummy.

Slavac
05-09-2007, 07:03 AM
I've never noticed coffee dehydrate me.

Then again, it does make me poop for all that's worth ;)

reefpicker
05-09-2007, 08:29 AM
I have always found the claims of caffeine and dehydration to be bogus.

The fact that they use caffeine pills (which I didnt notice but thanks for bringing it up!) really reinforces the idea that in practice drinking coffee barely affects your hydration levels: coffee is MOSTLY WATER!!

And BTW, I find this so poignant... Love this quote (from the article):

"Imagine, the scientist says, that you drink a liter of water. In the period immediately following this feat, your urine output will increase and then eventually decline. ?Does this mean you are dehydrated?? Armstrong asks."

How true.

Jules Verne
05-09-2007, 10:00 AM
The fact that they use caffeine pills (which I didnt notice but thanks for bringing it up!) really reinforces the idea that in practice drinking coffee barely affects your hydration levels: coffee is MOSTLY WATER!!

In fact coffee will hydrate you - just not as effectively perhaps as the same amount of water.