PDA

View Full Version : Coconut milk

dillingerescp
05-08-2007, 06:14 PM
What can you do with this stuff ? I see theres 0 carbs in it, a little protein, and a good amount of fat... Anyone know of any good recipes, or things they like doing with it ?

danstjohn
05-08-2007, 06:21 PM
What can you do with this stuff ? I see theres 0 carbs in it, a little protein, and a good amount of fat... Anyone know of any good recipes, or things they like doing with it ?

It has tons of saturated fat. I like it but you gotta be careful in using too much. I use it sometimes to make curry. I wouldn't recommend using it on a regular basis though.

dillingerescp
05-08-2007, 06:23 PM
It has tons of saturated fat. I like it but you gotta be careful in using too much. I use it sometimes to make curry. I wouldn't recommend using it on a regular basis though.

Well I'll be... How did this slip past my eyes.

ballplaya4237
05-08-2007, 06:42 PM
It's saturated fat from coconut I'm presuming. Which means it would be mainly made up of MCT which are great for energy and should be consumed quite regularly.

2 D
05-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Can you buy pre-packaged coconut milk? Or do you guys just buy a coconut at the store and chop up the top?

DJohnson
05-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Anything I've ever seen has shown that saturated fats coming from vegetable sources are great for you. Go for it (although try find the least refined coconut milk you can).

amgdoc
05-08-2007, 08:33 PM
It's saturated fat from coconut I'm presuming. Which means it would be mainly made up of MCT which are great for energy and should be consumed quite regularly.
Exactly. There are many different types of fat, and not all fat is bad. MCT is one of the good guys.

forcasa
05-08-2007, 08:52 PM
yeah i use it every week or so in curries. get the low fat stuff. the Thai and Indian brands seems to taste best and be healthiest. international section of my supermarket :)

SaintPatty
05-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Coconut milk is wonderful! Think of the fat in it like the fat in Muscle Milk. Anyway, Stick with brands that don't have a word of english on it that are located in your ethnic food isle. These are usually pretty clean and unrefined. My favorite thing in the world to do with coconut milk is this:

-Cut some chicken breasts up in chunks- salt and pepper them
-Cut some hard veggies up in chunks- zuchini, squash, whatever
-Heat a saute pan on med/hi heat and add a little olive oil
-sear the chicken on both sides for 2-3 minutes each.
-add a few tbsp of hot curry powder, and stir into the chicken
-add 2 cans of coconut milk with the veggies, lid up, and simmer on lo for 20 minutes.
-serve over jasmine rice

YUM

bluefizzure
05-10-2007, 07:42 PM
I think I buy the Thai brand, open the can, put in the blender, and blend well. Then I put in a container in the fridge. I make smoothies with it... 1/4C coconut milk, some frozen cherries or mangoes (or whatever) some cinnamon and a scoop of protein powder. Blend. it's roughly Zone/isocaloric macronutrients. Coconut milk also has antibacteria/antifunal properties.

enforcerlady
05-10-2007, 07:51 PM
I've put it in my coffee instead of cream. Pretty good, IMO.

Casca
05-10-2007, 09:53 PM
I use it to boil chicken and baby bamboo shoots. This link (http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art17586.asp) is closer to what my mom use to make ( I am Thai), but I am not so fancy and just get a huge mixing bowl, put in some chicken breast, add in 2 cans of coconut milk, some red chili pepper, some fish sauce, a bunch of baby bamboo shoots, tear up a bunch of aluminum foil into squares, then clump a bunch of the mix into each foil, wrap it up and put on a pan then cook in the oven for 2 to 3 hours. I use to eat it with rice. Fairly low carb, very tasty and you can make a large amount at one time fairly easily.

Note: I think that link actually makes some kinda soup.... what I make is not soupy. The liquid part is only enough to boil the chicken/bamboo mix tightly wrapped in the foil. After cooking, the stuff should be moist, but not a soup.

wannablean
05-11-2007, 12:03 AM
I've put it in my coffee instead of cream. Pretty good, IMO.

never thought of that, sounds interesting! Im going to try that later...

fabulous idea me thinks!