PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any good macaroni salad recipes?

KryptoKnight
05-08-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm a huge fan of macaroni salad, but it isn't necessarily made with the best ingredients and it has tons of fat in it. Anyone have any healthy macaroni salad recipes (oil based, not mayo based) that don't have to be soaked in oil to taste good?

skinnyboipgh
05-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Macaroni Salad

Ingredients:

* 1 pound elbow macaroni (whole-grain)
* 1 1/4 cups partially thawed frozen petite peas or lightly cooked, shelled edamame (green soybeans)
* 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
* 4 scallions or green onions, white and part of green, thinly sliced diagonally
* 6 ounces lean ham, cut into 1/4-inch dice (optional)
* 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
* 3/4 cup fat-free sour cream
* 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
* 1 pack Splenda
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground salt (optional)
* Freshly ground pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

1. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add macaroni and cook 7-8 minutes. Drain in colander and rinse with cold water. Transfer noodles to a large bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate until completely cool.

2. Add peas or edamame, sliced celery, scallions, and ham (if desired) and toss to blend.

3. In small bowl or 4-cup measure, whisk together mayo & sour cream, vinegar, Splenda, nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon salt (if desired). Spoon over macaroni mixture and stir to blend. Season with pepper to taste. Cover bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Yield:

10 servings

NUTRITION:

Per serving: 254 calories, 10 g protein, 42 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 0.4 g monounsaturated fat, 3 g polyunsaturated fat, 6 mg cholesterol, 2.5 g fiber, 132 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 17%.

baarat
05-08-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm a huge fan of macaroni salad, but it isn't necessarily made with the best ingredients and it has tons of fat in it. Anyone have any healthy macaroni salad recipes (oil based, not mayo based) that don't have to be soaked in oil to taste good?

KK I just normally wing it but here's something I normally make and people
seem to like.

Fussili or Penne
Cook until al dente and rinse in cold water.

Sundried tomatoes
Roasted garlic
Red onion
Orange and yellow peppers
Broccoli rabe
Asparagus

Grill on the BBQ over a med-low flame, then cut into strips about the same size as the pasta 2"X1/2". Mix this in with the pasta.

Grape tomatoes-variety of colours
Fresh Oregano
Ricotta cheese

Add this to the pasta.

Add extra virgin olive oil and mix in, the amount is up to you. Season with cracked black pepper and sea salt.

If you want to add a protein like a meat.....grilled chicken, pancetta or shrimp are good.

Sorry it's not a recipe per se, but it's really hard to fk this up because a pasta that has too many veg or too much pasta can be adjusted fairly easy.

KryptoKnight
05-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the posts