PDA

View Full Version : New Federalist Party

Snoopis
04-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Here is a link to the platform of the New Federalist (http://reagan2020.com/platform.asp) party. Although called the New Federalist party, it seems to me they more closely resemble the Republican party of the late 1700's and early 1800's. These people actually respect the constitution, and propose some major changes to the way our government operates. They are, of course, extremely conservative.

I agree with most of their platform, but would have to think about it a little more before I would say I agree with all of it. Regardless, I think they make some great points about how far we've come from the original intents of the founders, and make some great suggestions for change.

Two things I really liked from their platform:
1.) Return of the citizen-soldier idea and state militias.

2.) Elimination of salaries/pensions for members of congress.

Too often these days, elected and appointed officials of government view themselves as rulers or caretakers of the public, rather than as citizens equal to all other citizens, but whose proper role is serving the public through restrained representative actions.

Moreover, we New Federalists support a return to the model of citizen-legislators, instead of the professional class of lifetime politicians who know no other trade or business. To serve this objective, in defense of citizens' liberties, we propose that all congressional pensions be eliminated, and that federal pay for Members of Congress be replaced by per diem allowances for only those days on which Congress is in session.

supergarr
04-27-2004, 10:14 PM
i like point 2!

irpker
04-27-2004, 11:37 PM
The republican party wasn't even formed until the 1850's.

Also, according to their front page, they look appear to have taken the shape of the "anti-federalists" which was led by Thomas Jefferson, but took the name ok new-federalists. Great name choice though!

Snoopis
04-28-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by irpker
The republican party wasn't even formed until the 1850's.

Also, according to their front page, they look appear to have taken the shape of the "anti-federalists" which was led by Thomas Jefferson, but took the name ok new-federalists. Great name choice though!

The Anti-Federalists are often called Republicans, since about 1790 or so. Even in Jefferson's inaugural address, he said that we are all "federalists and republicans," which was misquoted by the press as "Federalists and Republicans," and this wasn't his first mention of Republicans. The idea of "parties" wasn't really the same back then, so maybe that has something to do with it. So the name Republicans was certainly around. I'm reading a book right now about the conflict between Marshall and Jefferson, it's amazing how much politics played into things even back then. But anyway, that's exactly what I was referring to... the party name seems a little bass-ackwards, but I guess it helps to separate them from the current Republicans. One of the pages on that site has a quote from Reagan in 1977 referring to the "New Republicans."

The website is sponsored by The Federalist, which sends out bi-weekly newsletters. If you want to see how they view current issues, I'd recommend subscribing. They tear the democrats a new one, rather frequently, but they attack Bush once in a while too.

irpker
04-28-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Snoopis
The Anti-Federalists are often called Republicans, since about 1790 or so. Even in Jefferson's inaugural address, he said that we are all "federalists and republicans," which was misquoted by the press as "Federalists and Republicans," and this wasn't his first mention of Republicans. The idea of "parties" wasn't really the same back then, so maybe that has something to do with it. So the name Republicans was certainly around. I'm reading a book right now about the conflict between Marshall and Jefferson, it's amazing how much politics played into things even back then. But anyway, that's exactly what I was referring to... the party name seems a little bass-ackwards, but I guess it helps to separate them from the current Republicans. One of the pages on that site has a quote from Reagan in 1977 referring to the "New Republicans."

The website is sponsored by The Federalist, which sends out bi-weekly newsletters. If you want to see how they view current issues, I'd recommend subscribing. They tear the democrats a new one, rather frequently, but they attack Bush once in a while too.

While they might be called republicans, the republican party that appeared during the 1850's only had one real goal, which was anti-slavery interest. That was the only real bond for them. They had other issues as well, such as intercontinental rail-road, protective tarrifs, internal improvements, but these weren't agreed upon by the consensus. Also, all of these would have had to be done by the federal government, which anti-federalists loathed.

The new-federalists are the anti-federalists of yester-year and share very few principles of the republicans of today.

Also, what book is that? Marshall vs. Jefferson? How he purchased the Louisiana territory, and Marshall declared it illegal, and Jefferson told him to stfu beyotch?