PDA

View Full Version : Is The War in Iraq another Vietnam?

Bignbuff
04-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Have to do a paper for this in school and wanted to take a poll and get your opinions on if you feel that the US's current involvement in Iraq is a replica of what happened with the US in the Vietnam war back in the late 60's and early 70's. Please keep this thread civil.

Reborn79
04-27-2004, 06:08 PM
Wrong forum. But yes, it is similar in some respects to Vietnam.

newlifter87
04-27-2004, 06:09 PM
In what terms? If were talking about casualties and such then definitely not.

Bignbuff
04-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Reborn79
What forum should this be posted in? Religion and Politics?

VileHand
04-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Reborn79

Uh no, this is the Misc. Forum, war can be discussed here.

newlifter87
04-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Bignbuff
What forum should this be posted in? Religion and Politics? I can see why it would be posted in the politics but I think its fine here.

Bignbuff
04-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by newlifter87
In what terms? If were talking about casualties and such then definitely not.
No, not about casualties. That doesn't even compare.

I'm more or less talking about if you think we are getting involved in something that doesn't really involve us.

15u
04-27-2004, 06:13 PM
nope

Jimineye
04-27-2004, 06:15 PM
Nope.

Jimineye
04-27-2004, 06:18 PM
I should elaborate more I suppose. Vietnam was run totally different than Iraq. LBJ had no clue on how to run a war and so our troops were killed, during Vietnam LBJ would look at a map and say that troops should invade that place. I forgot what book I read this in.

Also our troops aren't coming home and being spit upon, like troops were in the 70's.

Bignbuff
04-27-2004, 06:20 PM
Thanks Jimineye!

If everyone has the time to elaborate, that would be great. There seems to be many varying opinions on this subject.

Keep em coming everyone! :)

15u
04-27-2004, 06:24 PM
everything jimineye said and the fact that in 'nam there was the draft.

newlifter87
04-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by 15u
everything jimineye said and the fact that in 'nam there was the draft. Bump the draft was also my reason for saying no. The only similarities are the difficulty for america because of our policies and their guerrilla warfare.

wl270
04-27-2004, 06:31 PM
i think this is the most uninvolved our country has been in a war, as far as the public. maybe it's just me but it seems as if 3/4 of the people at my school arent even aware we are in a war right now. it just seems like no one knows whats going on, i dunno maybe it's just my view on it.

honez
04-27-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Jimineye
I should elaborate more I suppose. Vietnam was run totally different than Iraq. LBJ had no clue on how to run a war and so our troops were killed, during Vietnam LBJ would look at a map and say that troops should invade that place. I forgot what book I read this in.

Also our troops aren't coming home and being spit upon, like troops were in the 70's.
Infantry tactics were totally different 40 years ago. There also isn't a strong, organized willingness for independence like there was in Vietnam (Communism).

The Conqueror
04-27-2004, 06:34 PM
Anyone who answers YES has no f*cking clue what Vietnam was about and I bet was born nearly ten years after it was over.

The MEDIA wants to turn it into vietnam.

Funny how all of the vietnam era vets were anti-Johnson and are pro-Bush. If it was the same DO YOU THINK FOR ONE MINUTE THOSE GUYS WHO SHED THEIR BLOOD IN VN WOULD BE SILENT?

CNN f*cks up people's minds about what happens in the REAL WORLD.

arnoldistheman
04-27-2004, 07:03 PM
i think its going ot turn into a vietnam if we dont get out like we say in june

u.s. sticking nose where it shouldnt be - similar to both
underestimation of opposition- similar in both
very difficult surroundings- similar to both
less deaths AT THE MOMENT -different (i doubt iraq will have anything close though)
differing public support of war- similar to both

the reasons go on.... if u ask me i say its turning into a modern day (lower scale) vietnam

one vote yes...

Reborn79
04-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by arnoldistheman
i think its going ot turn into a vietnam if we dont get out like we say in june

u.s. sticking nose where it shouldnt be - similar to both
underestimation of opposition- similar in both
very difficult surroundings- similar to both
less deaths AT THE MOMENT -different (i doubt iraq will have anything close though)
differing public support of war- similar to both

the reasons go on.... if u ask me i say its turning into a modern day (lower scale) vietnam

one vote yes...

We aren't leaving by June, it is simply a symbolic gesture. The U.S. will still remain for security purposes. Numerous people have said it is going to be a '40 year process'. Guess we're in for the long haul.

And yes, the longer we are in there, the more it will begin to look like another Vietnam.

YoungRUSSIAN
04-27-2004, 07:23 PM
the first few years of the vietnam war had low casualties, there has been an uprising in several cities in iraq, yes iraq is/will be like vietnam (casualty wise)

Prosauce
04-27-2004, 07:46 PM
It's very similar to Iraq. I read in the newspaper the other today the Iraq insurgents were hiding behind kids when shooting at the Marines. This is a vietnam like war in every since. We can't tell friend from foe.

viperbeasty
04-27-2004, 08:08 PM
It's similar in the ways of how the people that occupy both countrys couldnt give a rats about us fighting in there, even though we were trying to help. Of course many liked the idea, but they hated the war building up in the country that they tried to build. Then the fact like it was in vietnam what farmer woo was working in the fields at day, and at night he would have an ak-47. Cept its that tactic, of not being really able to trust people, all the car bombs, and suicide bombers that makes it such a difficult place to be, but yet I still voted no.

thickjerk
04-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Have to do a paper for this in school and wanted to take a poll and get your opinions on if you feel that the US's current involvement in Iraq is a replica of what happened with the US in the Vietnam war back in the late 60's and early 70's. Please keep this thread civil. it will be when the public looses faith in bush and the war.

error
04-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by The Conqueror
Anyone who answers YES has no f*cking clue what Vietnam was about and I bet was born nearly ten years after it was over.

The MEDIA wants to turn it into vietnam.

Funny how all of the vietnam era vets were anti-Johnson and are pro-Bush. If it was the same DO YOU THINK FOR ONE MINUTE THOSE GUYS WHO SHED THEIR BLOOD IN VN WOULD BE SILENT?

CNN f*cks up people's minds about what happens in the REAL WORLD.

How about you're a ****ing idiot and have no ****ing clue.

We have gone over this in my history class the last few weeks

In Vietnam alot of people felt we had to right to be in that country .. and it wasn't our war to fight because it was a civil war and we were losing innocent american troops

In Iraq -- same thing.. alot of people dont think its our fight and that we shouldn't be there and we're losing innocent american troops

there are also many more i'm just real drunk so i dont feel like posting 'em all

Jimineye
04-27-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by error
How about you're a ****ing idiot and have no ****ing clue.

We have gone over this in my history class the last few weeks

In Vietnam alot of people felt we had to right to be in that country .. and it wasn't our war to fight because it was a civil war and we were losing innocent american troops

In Iraq -- same thing.. alot of people dont think its our fight and that we shouldn't be there and we're losing innocent american troops

there are also many more i'm just real drunk so i dont feel like posting 'em all

A lot? Polls have shown that the majority of population supported the war goign into Iraq, and still support it now.

honez
04-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Public opinion is alarmingly fickle...polls can be easily manipulated and biased....

quodnomen
04-27-2004, 08:54 PM
No, i think most comparing the two weren't alive for Vietnam (or so everyone who i ask that was alive for it tells me :D)

Legend Zero
04-27-2004, 09:07 PM
It's like Vietnam in the expect of what the governement is doing to their people. They are lying and making false accusations to make the public belive they are doing the right thing. Now, many americans aren't even sure why we started this war, many people are not aware of whats going on, our men are dying out there? For what cause? To stop terroism (which will never happen, it is not our job..) Just like it was not our job to help S. Vietnam. The actual war itself is nothing like vietnam, fighting for differnt causes, but many ppl are not sure of the causes over there. Your right, no one is spitting on our troops, but no1 is really supporting them either..

Gotta look outside the box, and look at society instead of the war itself...

Reborn79
04-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Legend Zero
It's like Vietnam in the expect of what the governement is doing to their people. They are lying and making false accusations to make the public belive they are doing the right thing. Now, many americans aren't even sure why we started this war, many people are not aware of whats going on, our men are dying out there? For what cause? To stop terroism (which will never happen, it is not our job..) Just like it was not our job to help S. Vietnam. The actual war itself is nothing like vietnam, fighting for differnt causes, but many ppl are not sure of the causes over there. Your right, no one is spitting on our troops, but no1 is really supporting them either..

Gotta look outside the box, and look at society instead of the war itself...

I disagree that the troops are not being supported...it is clear that basically everyone in the U.S. support the troops, no matter what their opinion on the war is. To those who are anti-Iraq war, their problem is with the administration and not the troops.

It is our job to fight terrorism, as it affects us. Invading Afghanistan was necessary, as it had clear links to Al Qaeda, which attacked us. This is not so with Iraq.

The similarities, I believe, are in the fact that it is a contraversial war, and our enemy is not exactly clear. We are also fighting against people who are familiar with the area and have support in the area.

The difference is obviously the casualty count, but I believe (sadly), that will change as time goes on. The other difference is censorship. The Pentagon is ridiculously tight-fisted on this issue (firing people for taking pictures of soldiers' coffins?), in comparison to the often graphic pictures from Vietnam, which were necessary. The American public doesn't deserve a 'sanitized' vision of the war...if they support it (by that slight majority), then those who support it should see the results of their decisions, positive and negative.

Kane Fan
04-27-2004, 09:39 PM
1.) should probubly be put in politics thread
2.) very hard to say

in some ways it is similar
but in most ways it is different
so in the time alloted my short answer is no it is not

Bignbuff
04-28-2004, 02:03 PM
Interesting to see varying opinions on this...

Just bumping it up for some more opinions.

Jimineye
04-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Interesting to see varying opinions on this...

Just bumping it up for some more opinions.

Why don't you post in your journal!! :mad:

Another difference between the two wars is that the U.S knows this terrain since having fought here before. Also Iraq isn't beign supported by a communist nation, like Vietnam was getting aid from China.

Bignbuff
04-28-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Jimineye
Why don't you post in your journal!! :mad:

Onto it! :D

BigKazWSM747
04-28-2004, 02:32 PM
No, there are some elements that you could say are similar to vietnam (i.e.- guerilla warfare). However, Vietnam was country vs. country. Iraq is us vs. the insurgents.

Also the situations leading up to the conflicts are different.

Coliones
04-28-2004, 02:53 PM
The similarities are growing so I'll vote yes.

Reasoning:
1. We entered Vietnam as a policing force to assist the frogs.
The frogs bailed and left us holding the bag. We invaded
Iraq under the lies / tales that they had WMD, which proved
to be utter BS. In the mean time our troops are used to
police the country and used as fodder for bombs, and
RPGs.
2. The politicians strangled the ability of the military to do its
job. They kept the military on walk around mode instead of
allowing them to "Turn on the Machine" and do what the
military does ... eliminate the enemy.
3. Our military men are not even supplied with proper
equipment. Though this was corrected during the Vietnam
war (M16s were **** and soldiers were taking the weapons of
dead VC to make sure they had something to shoot with)
4. The people of Iraq cheered when we invaded and after finding
out we're to be there awhile started to turn on us ...
kidnapping and killing soldiers or workers and shredding their
bodies in the streets.
5. Soldiers are captured and executed / tortured. Hmmm, the VC
were infamous for their torture of American captives, and
showing their brutality. The Iraqis are worse :mad:
6. There is no end to the war ... we're in a lose / lose situation.
The gov't lies and says its all under control, but a group of
zealots is ablt to hold an entire city, as trained Iraqi forces
leave to prevent fighting their own (cowards).

Jcfreak_02
04-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Not yet, but definitly has the potential to become something similar to Vietnam. When politicians make the military calls Vietnam happens. When Generals make the military calls WWII happens.

Starsky
04-29-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Jcfreak_02
Not yet, but definitly has the potential to become something similar to Vietnam. When politicians make the military calls Vietnam happens. When Generals make the military calls WWII happens.

Exactly. For the war to be a success and not be a Vietnam, Democrats must not get power over it.

hulkman
04-29-2004, 01:02 AM
nothing like vietnam

drags
04-29-2004, 01:18 AM
Its still too early to tell if it will end up being another vietnam because the USA was fighting in Vietnam for years. THe USA has only been in iraq for 1 year, but if casualties continue to rise like they have been now then the situation can become a lot worse than vietnam. Vietnam was a lot worse for the vietmanese than the Americans. Over 2 million vietmanese lost their lives while only 50,000 americans dies, and all this to fight "communism". Which was not a threat to freedom it was only a threat to rich business.
The war in iraq has already claimed thousands of british casualties, with only a small percentage being killed. The exact figures of America's losses has not been disclosed, but by what i've heard from various news sources its up in the thousands also.

chiba102
04-29-2004, 05:14 AM
http://forum.galeyisrael.com/forum/files/dontloot.wmv

kmac12
04-29-2004, 07:42 AM
Have to do a paper for this in school and wanted to take a poll and get your opinions on if you feel that the US's current involvement in Iraq is a replica of what happened with the US in the Vietnam war back in the late 60's and early 70's. Please keep this thread civil.

Calling this Bush's Vietnam is just the Democrats way of trying to get him out of office. Period.

It is disrespectful to the soldiers and Iraqis to compare them. It sends them the wrong message. We need to stand unified.

Even John Kerry said that he would not speak out against the war...

''It's what you owe the troops,'' said a statement from Kerry, a Navy veteran of the Vietnam War. ''I remember being one of those guys and reading news reports from home. If America is at war, I won't speak a word without measuring how it'll sound to the guys doing the fighting when they're listening to their radios in the desert.''

Starsky
04-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by drags
Over 2 million vietmanese lost their lives while only 50,000 americans dies, and all this to fight "communism". Which was not a threat to freedom it was only a threat to rich business.

Communism was only a threat to rich business? There's over 100 million reasons why that statement is wrong.

BigKazWSM747
04-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Starsky
Communism was only a threat to rich business? There's over 100 million reasons why that statement is wrong.

I would agree with this in a broad sense. However, in the case of Vietnam the government we were supporting wasn't exactly a democracy, it was moreso a tyranny that we just propped up because it was not communist.