PDA

View Full Version : energy bar pre workout

GiffyDogg
04-26-2004, 05:05 PM
being in a fraternity, having the ideal food is quite limited, so i've always eaten a promax bar (god they're incredible) or a cliff bar before my workout (like 15-20 minutes)

i'd love to be able to eat a chicken breast or eggs with some oatmeal, but i really don't have access to a grill or a griddle to cook the stuff.

is anyone else in the same situation?

Brosef
04-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Negatory on the protein bar. As I've seen the cliff and other bars, there are too many sugars and fat. Perhaps try buying readily made stuff, like roasted chickens or grilled chicken strips.

How soon is the workout, because I never really have a pre- meal?

user34566548717114
04-26-2004, 05:12 PM
na i think its kinda a waste, i rather have a small shake with a scoop of whey and some medium carbs (honey, or a banana) fructose won't spike the hell outta your insulin so this will avoid that nasty hypogycemia so many people worry about (also known as the energy drop after 20 minutes from eating too much candy)

fructose is really good at keeping your blood suger constant, this is prob the best time to sneak a banana into your protein shake and make it extra tasty :)

i also through a glass of milk and i wait about 30 minutes to work out

total

330 calories give or take depends on how big the banana is
and about 30g's of protein

then post workout i have 3 scopes of whey in water

so 300 calories
about 60g's of protein

i don't believe in the spiking your insulin or carbing up, but this is at the end of my day, so i am gonna be pretty inactive the rest of the night, if it was midday or early am you might wanna cut some protein and up the carbs

chris1401
04-26-2004, 06:09 PM
or better yet get out of the frat and use the dues you pay to buy good food and an appt so you can cook there. Just my opinion.....

Richard......I didn't know you were a DIK

Sorry had to throw this line in there

GiffyDogg
04-26-2004, 07:01 PM
well - i am trying to ween myself off them.

thing is, i hardly ever cheat, and i sort of consider these bars as my 'cheat.' it's the only way i can keep my sanity.

today, after our ****ty dinner of horrible beef tips and egg noodles, (i picked the hell out of the meat - picked off as much fat as possible and ditched the noodles - ate wheat bread instead and some salad) i cracked and had a bowl of cheerios & some equal on top.

man i'm totally slipping! :-) *sarcasm*

KaitheGuy
04-27-2004, 01:12 AM
Im still in high school, but i also cant cook anything for my preworkout meal. ( I go straight from school to the gym) So Ive been eating alot of Cliff bars-I love em'!! But theyve only got 10 or so grams of protien in em so i usually grab 2 cartons of fat free milk from the cafeteria becouse they serve lunch afterschool as well as during school. ( Im so glad they started serving skim milk though rather than the whole crap they gave us last year.) That is alot of sugar, about 19-20 from clif bar and 25 from milk, but its ok, becouse l just burn it off at the gym. ( I also have a fast metabolism) Anyway, i say go for it! the convenience greatly outweighs the extra grams of sugar.

KGB_Muscle
04-28-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Evgeniy
Negatory

nice word, i been using it around the workplace quite a bit lately. glad to see it being used by someone else