PDA

View Full Version : Was Armenia the First Christian Nation?

benefit
04-24-2004, 01:04 PM
I always hear Armenians say that Armenia was the first nation that adopted Christianity. Is this true? I know there's lots of sources on the web that say that (ironically, all of them are Armenian websites and articles written by Armenians), but I fail to see how it's not just part of Armenian propaganda.

Lynne
04-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Interesting question...I suppose the coptic church is claiming that? Well, the disciples weren't Christians either nor were Jesus' followers until the Day of Pentecost when the holy spirit descended. A nation that adopted Christianity????? I'd love to know the answer :)

Quantum_Man
04-24-2004, 07:28 PM
Acts 11:26
"and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch."

benefit
04-24-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Quantum_Man
Acts 11:26
"and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch."

Whom do you refer to when you say "him"? And what does Antioch have to do with Armenia?

Quantum_Man
04-24-2004, 09:33 PM
I posted that verse because at Antioch, that's where followers of Jesus were first identified as Christians, meaning being called that. But as to your earlier question, I don't know what nation as a whole first adopted Christianity, but that's just a little history on my part. Sorry for the confusion.

benefit
04-24-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Quantum_Man
I posted that verse because at Antioch, that's where followers of Jesus were first identified as Christians, meaning being called that. But as to your earlier question, I don't know what nation as a whole first adopted Christianity, but that's just a little history on my part. Sorry for the confusion.

No problem. Next time make sure you mention what the hell you're talking about to avoid confusion.

mredgar2005
11-03-2009, 12:04 PM
No problem. Next time make sure you mention what the hell you're talking about to avoid confusion.

Armenians weren't FIRST Christians, I believe the Romans were. However, Armenia was the FIRST country to nationally adopt Christianity as it's official/national religion.

ACM1899
11-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Armenians weren't FIRST Christians, I believe the Romans were. However, Armenia was the FIRST country to nationally adopt Christianity as it's official/national religion.

You are correct. I think They are the first Christian Nation (301ad), and second is Greece.

An hero
11-06-2009, 06:46 PM
strong bump

dalbadal
02-05-2012, 08:38 AM
I always hear Armenians say that Armenia was the first nation that adopted Christianity. Is this true? I know there's lots of sources on the web that say that (ironically, all of them are Armenian websites and articles written by Armenians), but I fail to see how it's not just part of Armenian propaganda.

No, it is not true. It is a myth of the Armenian state propaganda.
The first nation to adopt Christiantiy as a state religion was Osroene (Edessa) under Abgar IX (ruled from 177 till 212 AD).
The independence of Osroene ended in 244 when it was incorporated in the Roman Empire. During Abgar IX, it was a vassal state dependent on the Roman Empire, but still a state!

Armenians everywhere argue that they were the first in the 20th century to suffer a "genocide". Setting aside that it was not a genocide in the first place, they were not the first victims in the 20th century either. The first genocide in the 20th century occured in present-day Namibia where herero (gerero) ana namaqua peoples were exterminated by the Germans.

I understanf Armenians. They want to be the first everywhere. A typical inferiority complex of a small, marginal nation...

RyzinEnagy
02-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Strong bump x2

Antranig
08-06-2012, 10:15 AM
No, it is not true. It is a myth of the Armenian state propaganda.
The first nation to adopt Christiantiy as a state religion was Osroene (Edessa) under Abgar IX (ruled from 177 till 212 AD).
The independence of Osroene ended in 244 when it was incorporated in the Roman Empire. During Abgar IX, it was a vassal state dependent on the Roman Empire, but still a state!

Armenians everywhere argue that they were the first in the 20th century to suffer a "genocide". Setting aside that it was not a genocide in the first place, they were not the first victims in the 20th century either. The first genocide in the 20th century occured in present-day Namibia where herero (gerero) ana namaqua peoples were exterminated by the Germans.

I understanf Armenians. They want to be the first everywhere. A typical inferiority complex of a small, marginal nation...

It is interesting that preceding your racist anti-Armenian rant, you focus on a nation that is potentially more 'marginal' and is actually based on and related to Armenia and Armenians. Let me try and educate you a little bit (probably too late at your age). Agbar V was an Armenian King and the word came from the title of "Avag Hair", meaning 'Senior Father' in Armenian. Agbar V came before Agbar IX (5 < 9), ergo, Christianity was introduced by an Armenian King to the town of Edessa. However, neither King adopted Christianity as the Official State religion.

Instead, Armenia was the first state to Officially adopt Christianity as its state religion when St. Gregory the Illuminator converted King Tiridates III and members of his court, an event dated to AD 301. Armenia is the first Christian Nation. You can read more about Armenia and Armenian news on firstchristiannation.com

But again, as the Turks came into the area recently and consider Armenians 'small' and 'marginal', why do they hate Armenians so much?

lasher
08-06-2012, 10:20 AM
It is interesting that preceding your racist anti-Armenian rant, you focus on a nation that is potentially more 'marginal' and is actually based on and related to Armenia and Armenians. Let me try and educate you a little bit (probably too late at your age). Agbar V was an Armenian King and the word came from the title of "Avag Hair", meaning 'Senior Father' in Armenian. Agbar V came before Agbar IX (5 < 9), ergo, Christianity was introduced by an Armenian King to the town of Edessa. However, neither King adopted Christianity as the Official State religion.

Instead, Armenia was the first state to Officially adopt Christianity as its state religion when St. Gregory the Illuminator converted King Tiridates III and members of his court, an event dated to AD 301. Armenia is the first Christian Nation. You can read more about Armenia and Armenian news on firstchristiannation.com

But again, as the Turks came into the area recently and consider Armenians 'small' and 'marginal', why do they hate Armenians so much?

Strong bump x3

yaharadan
03-14-2013, 11:54 PM
According to wikipedia, ''Cyprus figures prominently in the early history of Christianity, being the first province of Rome to be ruled by a Christian governor, in the first century, and providing a backdrop for stories in the New Testament. Roman Cyprus was visited by the Apostles Paul, Barnabas and St. Mark, who came to the island at the beginning of their first missionary journey in 45 AD, according to Christian tradition, converting the people of Cyprus to Christianity and founding the Church of Cyprus.''
check hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_history_of_Cyprus

WheyOfDragon
03-15-2013, 12:06 AM
stahp

BeefyMcNasty
03-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Holy bumps of peace

JacquesRoux
03-15-2013, 03:04 AM

This is what I've read. Also has the oldest church in the world in Ejmiadsin.

JacquesRoux
03-15-2013, 03:06 AM
And LMAO at the bumps. Argument over generations.