PDA

View Full Version : What kind of worship service do you prefer?

Lynne
04-23-2004, 07:55 AM
Just curious about that. Some people feel a worship service should be meditative, some like it wild (like me - I mean I like a wild worship service, not that I am :D).

Quantum_Man
04-23-2004, 08:06 AM
I like some good contemporary music, but there are a lot of hymns that I absolutely love too. My church has two services on Sunday, the first one being more traditional in music style, and the later on being more contemporary in music style. Myself being the youngest member of the praise band, I pretty much am the only one who knows all the contemporary songs so I introduce them to the band and we've been implementing them slowly over the last several months. THe 2nd service is a blend of hymns and contemporary songs.

Lynne, have you ever heard of Urbana? It's a tri-annual missions conference held by InterVarsity. It always right after Christmas and before New Years. I went to the latest one in Dec 2003. On average now, 20,000 people attend Urbana. Sounds like you'd love worshipping to some awesome music along with 19,999 other believers. :D

braindmg
04-23-2004, 08:07 AM
i like it normal. just... normal. haha :D ppl raise they hands but not me. im shy :( haha :D

Lynne
04-23-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Quantum_Man
I like some good contemporary music, but there are a lot of hymns that I absolutely love too. My church has two services on Sunday, the first one being more traditional in music style, and the later on being more contemporary in music style. Myself being the youngest member of the praise band, I pretty much am the only one who knows all the contemporary songs so I introduce them to the band and we've been implementing them slowly over the last several months. THe 2nd service is a blend of hymns and contemporary songs.

Lynne, have you ever heard of Urbana? It's a tri-annual missions conference held by InterVarsity. It always right after Christmas and before New Years. I went to the latest one in Dec 2003. On average now, 20,000 people attend Urbana. Sounds like you'd love worshipping to some awesome music along with 19,999 other believers. :D

Yes, I would. I live in central NY. Where is this held?????

braindmg
04-23-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Lynne
Yes, I would. I live in central NY. Where is this held????? are you a born again christian?

Quantum_Man
04-23-2004, 08:14 AM
It's held in the city of Urbana-Champaigne, Illinois or at the University of Illinois - both the same place. And by tri-annual I meant every 3 years so the next one will be Dec 2006.

Lynne
04-23-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by braindmg
are you a born again christian?

Yes, I am a born-again Christian (about 8 years). I've attended charismatic nondenominational churches, Presbyterian and Baptist churches.

Lynne
04-23-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Quantum_Man
It's held in the city of Urbana-Champaigne, Illinois or at the University of Illinois - both the same place. And by tri-annual I meant every 3 years so the next one will be Dec 2006.

Campus Crusade for Christ people????Bill ?????

braindmg
04-23-2004, 08:29 AM
Yes, I am a born-again Christian (about 8 years). I've attended charismatic nondenominational churches, Presbyterian and Baptist churches. that's cool. my dad is a pastor. he writes books/booklets and preaches in born again churches.

he has also organized alot of non-profitable bible-related organizations for businessmen all over the country.

u want some of his books? he gives it away for free.
i dont like it, some of it is about me :( well, alot of it.... he wrote
"true riches" its around 7 series now.

Lynne
04-23-2004, 08:31 AM
that's cool. my dad is a pastor. he writes books/booklets and preaches in born again churches.

he has also organized alot of non-profitable bible-related organizations for businessmen all over the country.

u want some of his books? he gives it away for free.
i dont like it, some of it is about me :( well, alot of it.... he wrote
"true riches" its around 7 series now.

Cool. How do you deal with being a pastor's son? Could be great. Could be very difficult....

braindmg
04-23-2004, 08:44 AM
Cool. How do you deal with being a pastor's son? Could be great. Could be very difficult....
as you can see, he doesnt reflect in me in any sense.
in these forums, i release my tensions and stress.

that's why i seem to be really annoying sometimes.

i guess, he's a good guy. people are calling from everywhere to have him give his advice.

problem with him, is sometimes he thinks he is somewhat perfect.
and expects me to be the same... :(

i know he isnt perfect, and he knows it. but sometimes he has a hard time finding fault in himself.

btw, in real life, im really a good guy, probably the opposite of what i USUALLY seem in here.

i want you to read some of his writings, some of it has ME in it.

i dont know how to send it to you, so maybe i should pm you some of his articles when im alone sometime.

some of it are poems. its all different. it's free too. i havent read it all, actually.

Lynne
04-23-2004, 11:44 AM
as you can see, he doesnt reflect in me in any sense.
in these forums, i release my tensions and stress.

that's why i seem to be really annoying sometimes.

i guess, he's a good guy. people are calling from everywhere to have him give his advice.

problem with him, is sometimes he thinks he is somewhat perfect.
and expects me to be the same... :(

i know he isnt perfect, and he knows it. but sometimes he has a hard time finding fault in himself.

btw, in real life, im really a good guy, probably the opposite of what i USUALLY seem in here.

i want you to read some of his writings, some of it has ME in it.

i dont know how to send it to you, so maybe i should pm you some of his articles when im alone sometime.

some of it are poems. its all different. it's free too. i havent read it all, actually.

Expectation of perfection.....that is one of the things got me down. A great deal of the church is more concerned about appearances than people, a bunch of clanging cymbals. It makes me sick. I WAS seeking holiness in my life, but no matter what I couldn't measure up to what I thought I was supposed to be doing. I had read books on holiness by Jerry Bridges, John MacArthur and so on. I put a lot of pressure on myself but so did the church. I think part of the problem is that humans are relational beings and we want to "belong." Also, I really wanted to please God. What a waste that was. Thank God that Christ accepts us as we are; I doubt our "efforts" at holiness really please Him. I have a real relationship with Him now, without the church, and without the Word (I mean you can have a relationship with Him outside of the bible). One day, when I am emotionally and spiritually healed I might seek out another church. Right now, I'm still in a lot of pain - I am hurting. I guess two books that helped me the most were Grace Awakening by Chuck Swindoll and Spiritual Abuse by VanVonderen(sp?). I'd like to read some of the articles sometime :).
Lynne

Psaturn
04-24-2004, 12:43 PM
I tend to be more comfortable with the contemporary "Vineyard" style worship but lately I found the importance is NOT the style but whether it is "anointed" and has the touch of the Holy Spirit.

I went to a mega church in my area and they had perfect a band, playing an impeccable contemporary worship. Oddly, it was devoid of life. It was just a performance. There was no heart, no soul and no spirit.

Jesus said that those who worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in truth. When we worship God we worship with all our hearts with all our mind and with all our strength.

In my church in Rialto, CA the band writes their own worship songs. Someday you may hear the Rialto sound. It is being heard in Germany, Jamaica, Holland...

The worship style is different. With Native American drums, Electric guitars, bass, drums, and started with a ram's horn, Jewish shofar !!! The music is such you have to dance... dance with all your might like David danced !!! Dancing before the LORD !!!

Raising hands ? You raise it with all your might !!! Not only that, you wave the banners of different colors !!! Lift UP the banners of His love, Halleluyah !!! For Jericho must fall !!!

As you can see, I get my cardio workouts on Sunday mornings....

BIONIC MAN
04-24-2004, 12:45 PM
if GOD,JESUS AND THE HOLY SPIRIT ARE THERE ITS OK

bts327
04-24-2004, 12:50 PM
I prefer fire and pitchforks, chanting and sacrifice.

These were not options, so I didn't vote. :D;)

Lynne
04-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by bts327
I prefer fire and pitchforks, chanting and sacrifice.

These were not options, so I didn't vote. :D;)

Depends on your perspective. Some would say a contemporary service is of the devil! :D

bts327
04-24-2004, 01:29 PM
Depends on your perspective. Some would say a contemporary service is of the devil! :D

:cool:

Lynne
04-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by bts327
:cool:

Funny, I Knew I had seen that guy somewhere....:D

Jcfreak_02
04-24-2004, 09:47 PM
I like the rock 'n roll/contemporary style, we have the full band set-up for the youth services, but being presbyterian I still worship like the frozen chosen :D. I like all the styles listed, how I prefer to worship God in that musical sense varies. Remeber that worship is in everything we do, not just singing.

Quantum_Man
04-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Jcfreak_02
I still worship like the frozen chosen :D

LOL! That's great. :D

bts327
04-24-2004, 11:39 PM
:D
Soulful gospel house music gettin down on the worship tip...

http://www.waxrecords.com/store/getTracks.asp?albumID=2031&trackID=5968

http://www.turntablelab.com/real2/dm/moodyman-smallblkchu-1.ram

http://mp3.imedia.net:8000/file/tweekin/KDJ23.mp3

http://mp3.imedia.net:8000/file/tweekin/KDJ16.mp3

Jimineye
04-24-2004, 11:44 PM
When I go to church now I go to a non-denominational church (Table Rock Fellowship) and I like it a lot. They play rock music and are real laid back. They don't care what you wear just as long as you show up to church to learn about God it's all good. It is the best church I have ever been to.

Lynne
04-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Jimineye
When I go to church now I go to a non-denominational church (Table Rock Fellowship) and I like it a lot. They play rock music and are real laid back. They don't care what you wear just as long as you show up to church to learn about God it's all good. It is the best church I have ever been to.

In Washington state there was a great church like that. I attended Casey Treat's (TBN) church in Seattle a couple of times (met Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley there BTW!!!). There are a few nondenominatinal churches not too far from where I live. Hmmmm-and they have large youth groups which would be good for my 14 year old daughter :). I just don't want to be under a microscope again....maybe I can get lost in a big church...

Lynne
04-25-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Jcfreak_02
I like the rock 'n roll/contemporary style, we have the full band set-up for the youth services, but being presbyterian I still worship like the frozen chosen :D. I like all the styles listed, how I prefer to worship God in that musical sense varies. Remeber that worship is in everything we do, not just singing.

I attended worship at a PCUSA church not too long ago and they were liturgical but it was really neat. I had never attended a liturgical type service before. I liked it. I know what you mean by the frozen chosen....:)