PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol & ReligionS

TranceNRG
04-21-2004, 12:13 AM
I'll state some scientific facts here.

let's discuss why many religions frown upon consumption of Alcohol.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/medical_notes/a-b/872428.stm

Alcohol

William Hague enjoys a pint

William Hague's boast that he once drank 14 pints of beer a day may impress some voters - but probably not his doctor.
Heavy drinking is blamed for up to 33,000 deaths a year in the UK, with the NHS spending more than £164m treating alcohol-related conditions.

Heavy drinking health risks at a glance
Liver damage

Osteoporosis

Pancreatitis

Shrivelled sex organs

Heart disease

Stroke

Dementia/ brain damage

Damage to unborn child

Increased risks of some types of cancer

Doctors have come up with "safe" limits for alcohol consumption, and it is safe to say that 14 daily pints puts Mr Hague well in excess of those.

The health benchmark for men is between three and four units a day - approximately one and a half to two pints of normal strength beer.

Any more than this, and the health risks begin to rise.

And it is no safer saving up your weekly "units" for one big binge at the weekend - this may be just as harmful.

Most people are aware of the immediate effects of consuming large quantities of alcohol - although, as the body builds a tolerance to these, the effects often become less obvious.

Nausea and sickness

Too much alcohol can irritate the stomach, leading to sickness and nausea, and can lead to temporary impotence in men.

Alcohol has a dehydrating effect, and the traditional hangover arrives partly as a result.

However, it is the longer term effects which worry doctors.

Too much alcohol over a prolonged period can affect nearly every organ in your body.

Alcohol is essentially a poison, and the culmulative effects can be horrific.

Long term drinkers can suffer liver damage, as the liver is the organ that processes the alcohol and removes it from the body.

Liver damage

There are three types of damage - fatty liver, in which fat is deposited in the liver, impairing its function, alcohol hepatitis, an inflammation of the liver which can cause severe symptoms and lead in some cases to alcoholic cirrhosis, which can eventually cause liver failure if the drinker does not stop.

The first two stages are usually reversible, whereas cirrhosis has no cure.

Heavy drinkers can suffer from chronic gastritis - essentially a daily recurrence of hangover style nausea and sickness. They can also suffer damage to the oesophagus.

Pancreatitis is a common problem in heavy drinkers - this is an extremely painful condition which is hard to treat, and sometimes fatal.

Brain damage is also possible in some cases - alcoholic dementia is often found in very long-term drinkers.

Heart disease and stroke

However, it is damage to the heart and circulatory system that place many drinkers at risk. Drinking over the recommended limits is one of the most common causes of high blood pressure, which can contribute to heart disease.

Drinking heavily is also likely to greatly increase the calorific intake, perhaps leading to obesity, which also increases these health risks.

Regularly drinking more than three units of alcohol a day increases the risk of a type of stroke called haemorrhagic stroke.

It can also contribute to osteoporosis, lead to muscle weakness, make skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema worse.

In men, there is likely to be a loss of libido and potency, shrinking of the testicles and penis, reduced fertiliy, loss of pubic hair and if cirrhosis is present, increased breast size and loss of body hair.

In women, ovulation may cease, and breasts and sexual organs shrivel.

Many cancers are alcohol-related, particularly those of the mouth, oesophagus, liver, stomach, colon, rectum, and perhaps breast cancer in women.

Harming unborn children

Heavy drinking, even in one-off binges, by pregnant women can harm their unborn child.

It can lead to miscarriage, low birth weight, and, in the worst cases, to foetal alcohol syndrome, a group of defects which can include lowered IQ, facial malformations and growth deficiencies.

Many studies have found suggestions that moderate alcohol drinking, for example one or two units a day, can have a protective effect against in particular heart disease.

This has yet to be conclusively proven, as it is not clear whether it is the alcohol, or some other ingredient in the drink, which is having the effect.

Jimineye
04-21-2004, 12:23 AM
In Christianity it's open to the individuals interpretation on drinking, but the religion is against people getting drunk from my take of it. Although social drinking is not looked upon as bad.

TranceNRG
04-21-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Jimineye
In Christianity it's open to the individuals interpretation on drinking, but the religion is against people getting drunk from my take of it. Although social drinking is not looked upon as bad.

it's quite rare to jus' remain a "social drinker" w/o being tempted to get drunk at certain times, don't you think?

Lynne
04-21-2004, 05:41 AM
A church I attended a few years ago, will kick your bottom out of their congregation if you drink alcohol, purchase alcohol, or work in an establishment that serves or sells alcohol. It has nothing to do with the possible deleterious effects of alcohol. It is all about how the congregants are perceived in the community. They also expect constituents (regular attenders who are not members) to adhere to these same rules. They want to set an example for the community. That would be ok if they were loving people, but they aren't. They are some of the meanest Pharisees I have ever known. They are like white-washed sepulchres, clean on the outside but full of rotting dead things on the inside (to quote Christ). They are quite proud of themselves. But this is what happens when churches become institutions and make up a bunch of unbiblical rules to burden everyone. Well, an excess of anything can be unhealthful. That particular church has deacons weighing in excess of 400#, some of the women are in excess of 300#, and most everyone could stand to lose some fat, but that's ok....:mad: having said that, there are some churches that won't let overweight people teach Sunday school. Maybe they do bodyfat assessment in the baptismal tank :D.

supergarr
04-21-2004, 07:26 AM
you should be GOD'S appointed holy trainer

Jimineye
04-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by TranceNRG
it's quite rare to jus' remain a "social drinker" w/o being tempted to get drunk at certain times, don't you think?

No, not really... I have drank with my friends socially and don't get drunk. They have tried to get me to get drunk but it's something I don't want to do for many reasons.

Jimineye
04-21-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Lynne
Maybe they do bodyfat assessment in the baptismal tank :D.

Lol! You know what is kind of ironic, in the bible it looks down on gluttony, but these are the same people who condemn alcohol. :D

Lynne
04-21-2004, 12:36 PM
Lol! You know what is kind of ironic, in the bible it looks down on gluttony, but these are the same people who condemn alcohol. :D

I know. In Proverbs it says "If you are prone to gluttony, put a knife to your throat." This is what irritates the heck out of me, they ignore something that is biblical (not being a glutton) but choose to make alcohol a scourge which is not harmful in small quantities. Before the advent of the The Women's Temperance Union (leading to Prohibition in the US), pastors would often have a drink of wine or hard liquor when they visited people. It was hospitable to offer an alcoholic drink. Often, the wine or spirits were homemade, part of the harvest, and people were quite proud to share their bounty.

FatFat Bastard
04-21-2004, 04:38 PM
LOL
TRANCE. please tell me that you hit the bottle before at least once in your life span. :D
I know drinking is not great for you, but so are other substances, so what? we live once might as well injoy it.
IF you are social drinker and have even alittle control over yourself there should be no need for AA meetings.
same could be said about religion BTW
you belive too strongly and interped it without thinking, and you can cause a hell of problems for yourself and for others around you. agree?

so between the two evils :D
i would go for the bottle....

TranceNRG
04-21-2004, 10:48 PM
No, not really... I have drank with my friends socially and don't get drunk. They have tried to get me to get drunk but it's something I don't want to do for many reasons.

very good

I said rare not impossible

but congrats :)

TranceNRG
04-21-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by FatFat Bastard
LOL
TRANCE. please tell me that you hit the bottle before at least once in your life span. :D
I know drinking is not great for you, but so are other substances, so what? we live once might as well injoy it.
IF you are social drinker and have even alittle control over yourself there should be no need for AA meetings.
same could be said about religion BTW
you belive too strongly and interped it without thinking, and you can cause a hell of problems for yourself and for others around you. agree?

so between the two evils :D
i would go for the bottle....

I have...
I have gotten so drunk 'til I puked

and now looking back at, I don't regret it.
because that was the reason why I decided never to drink again.

has been sober for the past 4 years
WHOOHOO

but thinkin' about it, there's no +ve outcome from drinking.

I don't understand why governments try so hard to ban smoking but at the same promote alcohol. seems like a hypocrytical double standard.
The only reason I could think of was the multi-billion dollar industries that control the governments.

FatFat Bastard
04-22-2004, 03:14 PM
I have...
I have gotten so drunk 'til I puked

and now looking back at, I don't regret it.
because that was the reason why I decided never to drink again.

has been sober for the past 4 years
WHOOHOO

but thinkin' about it, there's no +ve outcome from drinking.

I don't understand why governments try so hard to ban smoking but at the same promote alcohol. seems like a hypocrytical double standard.
The only reason I could think of was the multi-billion dollar industries that control the governments.

good you have experimented.
so you can control it, why be afraid? you did not become a drank?
there no positive outcome for drinking a lot
but if its done in moderation and under control there are no negative outcomes.
Trance why not ban fast food while we at it, it has no positive outcome..as well
while i study i do not touch alcohol but when studing is done i want to kick back and drink a little. smoke a little, celebrate, eat a little fast food, you need a brake from normal life sometimes....

so you pucked, so did i... so what?
the next time i just don't drink as much, and control myself more its not a reason to stop drinking completly.