PDA

View Full Version : Break plateau/dieting basics

jdm001
11-21-2001, 08:46 PM
Where can i learn the basics of dieting, I've checked around on this and a couple other sites... but i'm clueless and need a STARTing point. I know what protein is, why to use it. After that I'm done. I know nothing about the types of cholestorol, good and bad sat/unsat fats, what high and low carb diets do. Help!

A year and a half ago I was 265 (I'm 6'2) and well overweight. I changed the way I ate by no longer going out and no caffine drinks. I went down to about 230 in 3-5 months. I then cut out the fatty foods at home (nothing i eat is fried or microwaved now, pretty much only drink water) and I went down to 210.

I am now at 210 and have been at that plateau for 8 months now. I weigh myself daily and change up to 5lbs a day. I can way anywhere from 205 to 215 on a given day. I watch very closely and I am VERY active. I work out 5 times a week now and play on 3 hockey teams so I move every day of the week.

The reason I post is that I'd now like to finilize my weight at 195 and need to learn HOW to eat. I eat a lot of types of pasta and ground meat. What should I be eating mainly to help lose weight without weaking myself for workouts/sports?

Thanks,
Jm

240sxdriver85
01-30-2010, 10:54 AM
maybe it's timing? Rule of thumb is to typically take in complex carbs earlier in the day and avoid them during the night. I've watched this take effect by cheating. I tried realy hard not to eat pizza last night, but everyone ordered it and I got really hungry and love pizza. So after eating pizza, yesterdays morning weigh in was 211, todays was 214. May just be short term but still slowing down the process. Thats all I can think of pal. It sounds like you want to keep taking in the carbs for energy for sports and what not. I tend to cut them out periodically so that my body transitions to burning my fat stores instead of the readily available carbohydrates, hope this helps and good luck.

Innithepoo
01-30-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm sure you are not eating COMPLETELY clean. I would cut out a lot of that pasta. You gotta think.. if you get pesto or alfredo.. you are adding a lot of butter/saturated fats.. as for ground meat.. red meat isn't all that good for you.. nor is it really as lean as fish/chicken..

so you pretty much have 2 options.. change your diet for cleaner complex carb and leaner protein sources..

or..

work out harder

halfpint11
07-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Your diet needs to change as much as your workout routines. As well as taking a week off of just light lifting and stretching. And eating. To keep your body guessing avoiding plateau. RESEARCH carbohydrates, lipids and water. Each is essential in dietary reference intake as well as fiber etc etc. If you want to lose more fat, get your BMR, count cal for one week, to get a better feel of consumption. Good luck