PDA

View Full Version : My Journal

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

TheKansan
05-05-2007, 12:00 PM
It wasn't that long ago (december 2006) and I literally was eating myself to death. Why did I decide to change? I had set my mind on many different goals throughout my life, from owning a nice car, to graduating college and I had succeeded, yet I still found myself unhappy. I needed more. I looked in the mirror and realized that all the problems in my life were linked to a single underlying problem. My out of control eating habits. I decided that 2007 would be the year when everything changed.

To tell the honest truth I had no clue when I started just how hard this would be. I looked back at several failed weight loss attempts in the past and decided that I needed to lay out some ground rules, or else I would face failure again. First of all I would create a journal of everything I ate and count the calories of everything. This way I would be sure I wasn't overeating. Second cardio exercise and resistance training would become part of my every day life. There would not be one day where I didn't exercise. Finally, I would not starve myself and I would eat healthier foods.

I started January 1st. The last time I weighed myself before that I weighed 475 pounds. I decided that I would not weigh myself for quite some time after that so as I would not be discouraged by some number on a scale. The only thing that was really important was how I felt, how my clothes fit, and that I did not give up.

Anyway fast forward to now and I finally did give in and start weighing myself. I joined this website so I could learn to build and maintain muscle. I have lost over 115 pounds, but I am ready to lose a lot more. At the same time I want to improve my lifting and become a better person overall. This journal will be similar to the written journal I keep at home in that it will list my daily food and supplement intake and my progress and thoughts on the whole thing so far.

yioti
05-05-2007, 02:19 PM
good luck with everything dude i hope you see a lot of change
also....
at 6 foot 358 lbs you better be eating more then 3000 calories like youve stated in a previous thread big guy.

good luck....im subscribed

zaxx19
05-05-2007, 02:39 PM
You must join my log...I started almost that weight.

REMEMBER- Slow and steady wins this race dont look for 10 lbs a week.

ScottC
05-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Keep up the good work, Kansan! :)

What happened to the other thread? I thought it was your journal...???

TheKansan
05-05-2007, 04:22 PM
This is my typical meal plan. I am trying to eat 2500 calories a day and 250g of protein. I am not on any keto diet so I don't think about macros.

Protein shake-440 calories
*banana
*4 strawberries
*1 cup milk
*2 scopps whey protein
*5 ice cubes

PB sandwich-300 calories
(2 slices whole grain bread and all natural PB)
orange-70 calories

2 turkey burgers-320 calories
2 whole wheat buns-220 calories
2 Tbs. Salsa-20 calories

3 skinless chicken legs-390 calories
mashed potatoes-180 calories
sauteed vegetables-110 calories

total calories=2490
total protein=250g
total dietary fiber=25g
servings of fruit/vegetables-6

I don't eat the same thing every day ever. This is just what I ate, and am going to eat today. Just as an example.

Also the supplements I take are:

Whey protein powder
generic multivitamin
generic fish oil
creatine powder-workout days
creatine monohydrate capsules-non workout days

I am not going to list my entire exercise routine here, I have another thread dedicated to that
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2417761

I will say that I do cardio seven days a week and that I do full body weightlifting workouts 3 days a week.

yioti
05-05-2007, 04:44 PM
^^^^That is way to low man you are a big man. like myself im 100 pounds lighter than you and im eating almost 1000 calories more and still losing weight up your cals

TheKansan
05-05-2007, 07:26 PM
I disagree yioti. You see I am not trying to lose 1-2 pounds a week here. I am trying to lose as fast as possible until I get down to 300 pounds. At that point I will slow down. Remember where I started, if I had to do this the slow way, it would mean 4-5 years of this, and to tell you the truth, that is not acceptable in my mind. Thanks anyway for the concern.

SkinnyDip
05-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Good luck, you can do it.

yioti
05-06-2007, 12:28 AM
why is iy not acceptable? doing it right and youll end up much more satisfied. i was 328 and 3 years later im 240 and i have much more muscle and look much better then some other people who lost almost 90 lbs in 8 months

TheKansan
05-06-2007, 12:34 AM
why is iy not acceptable? doing it right and youll end up much more satisfied. i was 328 and 3 years later im 240 and i have much more muscle and look much better then some other people who lost almost 90 lbs in 8 months

Its not acceptable because i spent 20+ years of my life obese, and i want out of this situation ASAP. I'm not starving myself. Even now, i weigh a lot more than you ever did, so my situation is very different from yours. Like I said, i will slow down when i hit 300 pounds, but do you think that maintaining muscle is as important to me as living a normal life? Its not. If that means I lose some muscle mass while going from 475 pounds to 300 pounds, then so be it.

yioti
05-06-2007, 12:44 AM
when you lose muscle mass once you get down to 300 pounds then getting any lower from there will be much more difficult. remember muscle burns calories which in turn reduces the amount of fat in your adipose tissue. your pretty much killing whats helping your cause. Save the whole I have been obese for years bit because A) i have been obese my whole life and B) i know that with the rapid weight loss i will never have the ability to have a six pack ever because of excess skin due to my skins inability to contract in the small time frame I have given it too. Dude i'm not arguing this for my own sake im just arguing this because i know the mistakes i have made along the way. Just because your going to be dropping weight rapidly does not make your "condition" off bieng overweight healthier. doing whats right for your body makes you healthy, going on a caloric deficit that is more then 500 calories per week is "unhealthy" to your body and will probobly get you on a diet thats pretty difficult to follow. this is the last i'm gonna post as i can see no one else is backing me up. Please don't let this ruin your new journal or anything cause I am truly trying to help but the facts are facts by eating 2500 calories as youve previously stated, these are possibilities that can negatively effect your fat loss
1) you lose muscle which speeds metabolism
2) you put your body in starvation mode
3) youll end up lookin like a popped baloon at the end

good luck

TheKansan
05-06-2007, 01:13 AM
when you lose muscle mass once you get down to 300 pounds then getting any lower from there will be much more difficult. remember muscle burns calories which in turn reduces the amount of fat in your adipose tissue. your pretty much killing whats helping your cause. Save the whole I have been obese for years bit because A) i have been obese my whole life and B) i know that with the rapid weight loss i will never have the ability to have a six pack ever because of excess skin due to my skins inability to contract in the small time frame I have given it too. Dude i'm not arguing this for my own sake im just arguing this because i know the mistakes i have made along the way. Just because your going to be dropping weight rapidly does not make your "condition" off bieng overweight healthier. doing whats right for your body makes you healthy, going on a caloric deficit that is more then 500 calories per week is "unhealthy" to your body and will probobly get you on a diet thats pretty difficult to follow. this is the last i'm gonna post as i can see no one else is backing me up. Please don't let this ruin your new journal or anything cause I am truly trying to help but the facts are facts by eating 2500 calories as youve previously stated, these are possibilities that can negatively effect your fat loss
1) you lose muscle which speeds metabolism
2) you put your body in starvation mode
3) youll end up lookin like a popped baloon at the end

good luck

First of all you are assuming too much. You assume that your way is correct, and aren't willing to admit that for a person who is 250 pounds overweight and super morbidly obese, that it is possible to do things differently.

Will I lose muscle? Perhaps, but since I am only losing weight at a rapid speed until i hit 300 pounds, the muscle loss will be minimal because the body has so much fat to lose. Also helping me maintain muscle is the fact that I lift regularly, which you simply choose to ignore.

Will my body go into starvation mode? Personally I don't care, the effects to my metabolism will be short term, besides I refuse to believe that eating 2500 calories a day is unhealthy because after all I have the lean muscle mass of someone less than half my size.

Will i look like a popped balloon? Yes, no matter how slow or fast I lose the weight, I weighed 250+ pounds more than normal, there is almost no way to avoid loose skin when you are that heavy. You wouldn't know this because you have never been that heavy.

I don't feel like arguing, I am not going to change my routine.

yioti
05-06-2007, 10:19 AM
First of all you are assuming too much. You assume that your way is correct, and aren't willing to admit that for a person who is 250 pounds overweight and super morbidly obese, that it is possible to do things differently.

Will I lose muscle? Perhaps, but since I am only losing weight at a rapid speed until i hit 300 pounds, the muscle loss will be minimal because the body has so much fat to lose. Also helping me maintain muscle is the fact that I lift regularly, which you simply choose to ignore.

Will my body go into starvation mode? Personally I don't care, the effects to my metabolism will be short term, besides I refuse to believe that eating 2500 calories a day is unhealthy because after all I have the lean muscle mass of someone less than half my size.

Will i look like a popped balloon? Yes, no matter how slow or fast I lose the weight, I weighed 250+ pounds more than normal, there is almost no way to avoid loose skin when you are that heavy. You wouldn't know this because you have never been that heavy.

I don't feel like arguing, I am not going to change my routine.
First of all you are assuming too much. You assume that your way is correct,

yes my way is correct as i HAVE lost 90 pounds

the muscle loss will be minimal because the body has so much fat to lose. Also helping me maintain muscle is the fact that I lift regularly, which you simply choose to ignore.

BS the body takes from fat AND muscle equally, whether your 10 pounds overweight or 300 pounds overweight doesn really matter IMO. your body is used to having the fat on you and believe it or not it doesnt want to give it up. what you fail to realize is that since you have been heavy most of your life you also have a lot of muscle to carry all the excess weight around.
also your other statement that your muscle will "suposedly" be less likely to deteriorate because your lifting is a complete oxymoran because lifting puts you in a catabolic state in itself. so without the proper fueling to your muscle with a sufficient amount of calories you WILL LOSE MUSCLE AND MOSTLY ALL MUSCLE. Not FAT READ THE GOD DAMN STICKYS ON LYPOLYSIS YOU WILL SEE THAT I AM RIGHT AND THAT YOU WILL NOT LOSE MUCH FAT AT ALL.

dude honestly i was 330 lbs and now im 240, 330 lbs not bieng that heavy? let me show you pictures hold on ill pull up my old progress pics thread. I'm telling you that you will have negative effects. you seem determined, now educate yourself and do things right. Think of it logically here bud, You have spent your whole entire life putting 450 lbs on. which is the safer route to go? buy losing it ASAP because you feel that your unhealthy or doing it the right way so your body can ADAPT to wtf is going on with itself. let me pull up my thread. it just seems like your going the fast way out but you will feel like ass all the time and be hungry ALL THE TIME>.

yioti
05-06-2007, 10:24 AM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1975151

there ya go took me almost 3 years and as you can see I was OBESE.

TheKansan
05-06-2007, 02:19 PM
^Like I said, I'm not arguing any more.

Today is a cardio only day, I am letting my muscles rest for the weekends. The fact that it is raining and crappy weather really didn't make me want to get up and go for a 1+ hour walk, but I did anyway.

-Aaron-
05-06-2007, 02:23 PM
All I can say is, I'm rooting for ya Kansan!

TheKansan
05-06-2007, 08:41 PM
All I can say is, I'm rooting for ya Kansan!

Thanks a lot Aaron.

-Aaron-
05-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks a lot Aaron.

No problem!

I didn't start out quite as big as you, no offense intended, but I do have the determination you have. I admire people, like yourself who strive to make themselves better.

People like you, ScottC, Boyscout, occasionally Kaaud make this forum great!

T.Soprano
05-06-2007, 09:33 PM
This is why I joined - best of luck TK.

I was like you...I just finally got fed up and decided it was time to kick the ass of the fat.

Keep it up. I read this place each day and use everyone else's progress, as well as my own, for motivation.

TheKansan
05-06-2007, 09:56 PM
This is why I joined - best of luck TK.

I was like you...I just finally got fed up and decided it was time to kick the ass of the fat.

Keep it up. I read this place each day and use everyone else's progress, as well as my own, for motivation.

Thanks a lot my friend. I have to do whatever it takes to succeed. Good luck to you on your journey as well.

T.Soprano
05-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks a lot my friend. I have to do whatever it takes to succeed. Good luck to you on your journey as well.

You got that right, man. Gotta do whatever it takes. The best thing about this, other than the weight loss thusfar, has been the overall change in my attitude. I am totally committed now. I started my "journey" on 03 March and since then I have been keeping focused on being skinny. I love going to the gym and actually enjoy making sure I eat clean now.

This place has been a total help for me.

TheKansan
05-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Today i am back to lifting weights. I totally understand why it is necessary to take rests from lifting, however on days I don't lift I feel like I am not doing enough to change my life for the better. Especially on the weekend where I take two days off in a row. I still do cardio those days, but its not the same.

Here in Kansas City the weather has been crappy for three days straight, and since i do all of my cardio outside, I was less than thrilled to go trampling through the rain on a power walk today. I came home with wet shoes, socks, and pants, even though I was wearing a rain coat.

Rc81
05-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Go to the mall and walk, make friend with an old person. Yeah it has been crappy here. Saturday was nice though.

Just to chime my worthless 2 cents in. There are alot of people on here who give some good advice. Listen to them, you will learn alot.

zaxx19
05-07-2007, 11:07 AM
While I dont think it should take 4 years to lose your weight, I also think losing weight" as fast as I can" is perhaps the dumbest approach to longterm weightloss....

I cant celebrate you losing weight the wrong way but I will celebrate what is more important which is your passion to improve yourself physically and healthwise.

Patience is a virtue guys....IT SHOULD TAKE A YEAR OR MORE TO LOSE 100LBS OF FAT...if it doesnt take close to that long you are doing something VERY wrong.

OTOH, no need for it to take 3 years to lose 80 lbs and gain some muscle....I mean its ok if it does but no way it NECESSARILY needs to take that long.

Im a third of the way from going from 360-240....and have increased muscular strength, flexibility, endurance substantially already with a 2450 Kcal diet and ~200 grams of protein a day....I dont think large people necessarily need 3000-4000 kcal a day alot depends on how active they are all day over and above working out...

I, for example, lead a VERY sedentary lifestyle outside of working out...I run a business on the computer mostly from home....I use my car to go everywhere because I live in the burbs...im not at the moment much of an outdoorsy type...I dont have a kid to run around after..

So 2400-500 kcal might work for me but be underfeeding to someone on the go more throughout a typical day./

zaxx19
05-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Today i am back to lifting weights. I totally understand why it is necessary to take rests from lifting, however on days I don't lift I feel like I am not doing enough to change my life for the better. Especially on the weekend where I take two days off in a row. I still do cardio those days, but its not the same.

Here in Kansas City the weather has been crappy for three days straight, and since i do all of my cardio outside, I was less than thrilled to go trampling through the rain on a power walk today. I came home with wet shoes, socks, and pants, even though I was wearing a rain coat.

Rest-
Exercise-
Diet-

All three play coequal and integral parts to getting healthy...

A day of rest is JUST AS IMPORTANT as a day working out...infact probably more important.

I take extra days off all the time like once a month when I dont feel fully recovered or rested or if I feel sick....its actually a positive effect on my progress.

ScottC
05-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Hey Kansan...keep up the good work, even in the rain. That is determination!

PM me your address, and I'll send you one of these for when the weather doesn't want to cooperate. ;)

http://www.larocksmagic.com/clown/images/umbrellahat.jpg

yioti
05-07-2007, 01:18 PM
OTOH, no need for it to take 3 years to lose 80 lbs and gain some muscle....I mean its ok if it does but no way it NECESSARILY needs to take that long.

ouch man that hurts lol

i do agree with you tho

TheKansan
05-08-2007, 07:28 AM
Hey Kansan...keep up the good work, even in the rain. That is determination!

PM me your address, and I'll send you one of these for when the weather doesn't want to cooperate. ;)

http://www.larocksmagic.com/clown/images/umbrellahat.jpg

Uh.......

Rest-
Exercise-
Diet-

All three play coequal and integral parts to getting healthy...

A day of rest is JUST AS IMPORTANT as a day working out...infact probably more important.

I take extra days off all the time like once a month when I dont feel fully recovered or rested or if I feel sick....its actually a positive effect on my progress.

I've just been in this full mad rush mood lately, like if I am standing still, I am not satisfied. Today is my cardio day. I was thinking about adding ab exercises on cardio day since I am not doing anything else anyway. Probably just weighted crunches.

martina92685
05-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Hey - good for you, you're on your way :) I'll be checking back, so make me proud!

ScottC
05-08-2007, 06:20 PM
I've just been in this full mad rush mood lately, like if I am standing still, I am not satisfied. Today is my cardio day. I was thinking about adding ab exercises on cardio day since I am not doing anything else anyway. Probably just weighted crunches.
Part of your "mad rush mood" could be psychological. You may subconsciously be craving food and keeping busy is a much better alternative than eating off plan.

IMO, at your size, doing regular crunches will have enough weight. No need to add weights.

TheKansan
05-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Part of your "mad rush mood" could be psychological. You may subconsciously be craving food and keeping busy is a much better alternative than eating off plan.

IMO, at your size, doing regular crunches will have enough weight. No need to add weights.

The thing is that I like to push myself beyond my regular level of comfort.

I just finished my workout today, and let me just say, today is a bad day for me. I really didn't get but 4 hours sleep yesterday, so when I got off of work this morning I should have done the wise thing and gone straight to bed. Instead I decided to work out first. The first two sets of squats went fine and I was able to get all 10 reps. On the third set though I reached failure after only 6 reps. My thought af first was that I didn't take a long enough break between sets, so I took a full 5 minutes before trying the fourth set. That time I failed after 4 reps. At that point I knew that my lack of sleep was affecting my lifting. I went ahead and finished my workout, but next time I will sleep and lift later in the day.

TheKansan
05-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Someone on the nutrition forum made a thread about cream cheese, and yesterday I decided to try it. I forgot how much I enjoyed bagels. I bought a package of whole wheat bagels and a container of fat free cream cheese. I toasted the bagel on the stove, spread some cream cheese on it and enjoyed.

Today is my day off from lifting, but I was bored so I decided to play around with some bench presses. Yes I know the muscles need time to heal, but lifting is fun for me, and I have the weights at home, so its hard for me to stay away. Anyway I came to the conclusion that this site's 1rm estimator is pretty inaccurate, especially when dealing with high repetitions ( > 5).

TheKansan
05-11-2007, 10:21 AM
I was right Wednesday when I said the reason I couldn't complete my sets was because I was too tired. I woke up today after 8 hours of sleep and had a good breakfast and my lifts were all good. I didn't miss a single rep, even after adding 5 pounds to all of my lifts. I won't make the mistake of lifting when I am that tired again.

SkinnyDip
05-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Good Job, keep it up. Can't wait for Tuesday to see how much you lose this week.

yioti
05-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Someone on the nutrition forum made a thread about cream cheese, and yesterday I decided to try it. I forgot how much I enjoyed bagels. I bought a package of whole wheat bagels and a container of fat free cream cheese. I toasted the bagel on the stove, spread some cream cheese on it and enjoyed.

Today is my day off from lifting, but I was bored so I decided to play around with some bench presses. Yes I know the muscles need time to heal, but lifting is fun for me, and I have the weights at home, so its hard for me to stay away. Anyway I came to the conclusion that this site's 1rm estimator is pretty inaccurate, especially when dealing with high repetitions ( > 5).

hey man everyones muscle fibers are different, thats why its innacurate.

despite our differences, the fact of the matter is were both striving to live a healthier lifestyle. so keep it up and good luck

TheKansan
05-11-2007, 07:29 PM
hey man everyones muscle fibers are different, thats why its innacurate.

despite our differences, the fact of the matter is were both striving to live a healthier lifestyle. so keep it up and good luck

Yeah I'm not mad at you, you know your stuff.

yioti
05-11-2007, 07:41 PM
well thank you

TheKansan
05-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Today is Saturday and I like to take long walks on Saturdays. Today I walked for 4 hours all over Kansas City's urban core and downtown. Its really nice especially since all the fountains are turned on now. The only issue I have is that since its so close to summer, the heat is killing me, and thats even with plenty of water. I should have left at 6:30am, but didn't get out of the house until 8:45, so oh well.

fates_child03
05-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Keep up the hardwork TK. I'm going to use you as an inspiration to me to stop being a slackass and putting fat back on that I worked hard to get rid of. Keep it up man I'll be watching. If you need any help along the way never hesitate to ask.

TheKansan
05-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Keep up the hardwork TK. I'm going to use you as an inspiration to me to stop being a slackass and putting fat back on that I worked hard to get rid of. Keep it up man I'll be watching. If you need any help along the way never hesitate to ask.

Thanks a lot for the support, we have a lot in common.

Today I decided to come home from work and immediately do cardio rather than relaxing for an hour or two, or even sleeping, and waking up in the afternoon to do cardio. The reason is simple, it is getting to the point where it is too hot to be doing hour long walks later in the day. Even though I started walking at 7:05 am today, it was still very warm by the time I made it home. Rather than risk heat exhaustion as it gets warmer this summer, I will do my walks as soon as I get home from work, and on my days off even earlier, perhaps at the crack of dawn. Also I may cut back from 60 minutes, to 30 minutes a day. I would rather not die of heat exhaustion while trying to lose fat.

Today is mother's day and my mother has planned a mother's day dinner for our family. At this point she understands that I am very much determined and that no amount of pressure could crack me, but just in case I go a little overboard, I am eating lightly for the rest of the day. I will have to estimate my calorie intake for the dinner, something I don't enjoy doing. Also I have to go to bed right now or I won't get any rest for work tonight.

fates_child03
05-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Good job with the adapting to weather man. Definitely dont want to have a heat stroke. Enjoy yourself tonight just eat to the point where you are full then stop and you will be fine.

TheKansan
05-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Good job with the adapting to weather man. Definitely dont want to have a heat stroke. Enjoy yourself tonight just eat to the point where you are full then stop and you will be fine.

I handled it pretty well. I ate a huge serving of green beans, and drank only water while there. Also I didn't get seconds or anything. The dinner was chicken marinara, so it wasn't all to unhealthy and had plenty of protein. I skipped out on dessert. The hardest thing about this whole thing is learning how to eat on holidays, special occassions, or at restaurants. I am changing my whole life around, so it is difficult, but I am learning.

thundergut
05-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Man, I'm right there with you. The holidays and special occasions - bbq's, work lunches, etc... those are killing me.

I admire your determination, seriously. There's no way I could go out and walk for 4 hours in the heat. I'd last about 30 minutes and feel sick and go home. That's a direct result of being a computer geek (and indoors playing games) for the past 6-8 years.

Keep up the good work. I'm gonna sub to this thread, I want to see your weekly check ins and hopefully that'll add a bit of motivation for me.

Goalie_Girl
05-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Awesome jpb so far dude, changing your life is hard but its the first step to living healthier, I'm proud of you, you inspire me. Keep it up and good luck.

~Lindsay

TheKansan
05-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Man, I'm right there with you. The holidays and special occasions - bbq's, work lunches, etc... those are killing me.

I admire your determination, seriously. There's no way I could go out and walk for 4 hours in the heat. I'd last about 30 minutes and feel sick and go home. That's a direct result of being a computer geek (and indoors playing games) for the past 6-8 years.

Keep up the good work. I'm gonna sub to this thread, I want to see your weekly check ins and hopefully that'll add a bit of motivation for me.

I'm a big computer geek too, in fact I have a bachelors degree in Networking Communications, an associates degree in computer info. systems, and another associates degree in computer technology. It took me nearly 6 months of walking on a daily basis to reach the point where I could go out and walk for 4-8 hours. When I started I could barely walk for 20 minutes.

Awesome jpb so far dude, changing your life is hard but its the first step to living healthier, I'm proud of you, you inspire me. Keep it up and good luck.

~Lindsay

Thanks, you make me feel a lot better.

SkinnyDip
05-13-2007, 09:27 PM
The thing I like most about you Tony, is the fact you take responsibility for your gain and are ready to do something about it. I admire that about you!

TheKansan
05-14-2007, 07:30 AM
The thing I like most about you Tony, is the fact you take responsibility for your gain and are ready to do something about it. I admire that about you!

Thanks, a lot. I am ready to make a change, no matter how much it hurts and no matter how difficult it is.

I am truly exhausted this morning. Due to mother's day being spent with my family, and having had to work both Saturday and Sunday night, I only slept for about three and a half hours yesterday. The last time I was this tired I made the mistake of trying to lift. This time I decided to go to sleep, and wake up later this evening and do my lifting before I go to work. That way I will be refreshed. I did however already do my cardio for the day, I immediately changed clothes and went for a walk as soon as I got home this morning. It was pretty warm out by the time I finished. This summer is going to be difficult.

TheKansan
05-15-2007, 06:35 AM
i just did my weigh in for the week and I now weigh 351.2 pounds. I am trying my hardest to get down under 300, which is my short term goal.

SkinnyDip
05-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Congrats on the loss, keep it coming.

thundergut
05-15-2007, 08:21 AM
4lbs, NICE! You're making me look bad :)

Keep up the awesome work man! Get that sleep!

cawiau
05-15-2007, 09:46 AM
i just did my weigh in for the week and I now weigh 351.2 pounds. I am trying my hardest to get down under 300, which is my short term goal.

Congratulations on the weight loss.
You are making all of us look bad!!! :D

TheKansan
05-15-2007, 03:06 PM
4lbs, NICE! You're making me look bad :)

Keep up the awesome work man! Get that sleep!

Congratulations on the weight loss.
You are making all of us look bad!!! :D

I'm still bigger than you guys, and I have a long way to go. Thanks.

TheKansan
05-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Sometimes I feel like I can not possibly live up to other people's expectations. At my job they know where I started, and see how I have progressed. They want me to inspire them and give them hope. I feel ashamed sometimes talking about what I have done because after all I allowed myself to get into that bad shape. I try my best, when I tell someone that there is no secret diet and that the key is neverending dedication to proper nutrition and exercise they seem dissappointed.

Anyway cardio went well this morning, and I will lift later in the day.

TheKansan
05-16-2007, 05:51 PM
How do I get my journal moved into the losing fat logs subsection?

yioti
05-16-2007, 05:54 PM
pm roxie she did mine real quick
(she posted in the other thread that boyscout started abot having a journal section)
btw Thanks roxie!

and GREAT JOB man 4 lbs is awsome dude keep at it!

ScottC
05-16-2007, 06:09 PM
I am changing my whole life around, so it is difficult, but I am learning.
Great sentence...^^^^^^^^^.

....even a better attitude! :cool:

Keep up the good work!

TheKansan
05-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Great sentence...^^^^^^^^^.

....even a better attitude! :cool:

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Scott.

I just did my cardio for the day. Its still cooler here, so i didn't have to go out at the crack of dawn on my daily walk. I will be starting my part time job next week and this Saturday I have orientation, so I will probably cut back from 60 minutes to 30 minutes walking a day on days I work both jobs. This will help, especially since it will be too hot to walk much longer than 30 minutes during the hot summer months. After a couple of paychecks come in, I will then see about joining a gym.

ScottC
05-17-2007, 02:56 PM
It's supposed to warm up here, but the last couple of days it has been in the mid to upper 50's. We are under a frost advisory tonight. :eek:

heathershubby
05-17-2007, 06:59 PM
it is amazing how fast you start to feel healthy isn't it. Thats how I hurt my damn back thinking I could shag a fly ball while coaching my sons baseball team. I reached a little to far back and blamo lol.

TheKansan
05-17-2007, 07:05 PM
it is amazing how fast you start to feel healthy isn't it. Thats how I hurt my damn back thinking I could shag a fly ball while coaching my sons baseball team. I reached a little to far back and blamo lol.

You got that right. After one month of eating healthy and losing weight, I felt 100% better, but that was nothing compared to how I feel now. I imagine in the future, as I lose more, now will seem bad by comparison too. Thanks for the comments, and keep at it.

TheKansan
05-18-2007, 07:36 AM
I just finished working out for the day. All my lifts went well except on the last set of bench presses, I failed after 8 reps (I usually do 10 reps). After looking at the Rippetoe's guide, it says that bench press is one of the first lifts you could stall on. I will be keeping the weight the same on benches next time I lift, I'm not ready to stall on a lift yet. My first goal is to bench 200 pounds, and the calculator on this site says 10 reps of 145 pounds is equivalent to 1 rep of 193 pounds, so I am close.

I also went walking today at around 6am. I don't know how warm it will be today, but since it is my day off I figured why not go out before it gets warmer and before traffic picks up. Besides its nice not having all the panhandlers bother me for once.

thundergut
05-18-2007, 08:28 AM
See, now if you buy that umbrella hat and wear that on your walks, they may not bother you :P

-Aaron-
05-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Seems like everything is going well bro. Keep up the good work!

TheKansan
05-19-2007, 07:20 AM
See, now if you buy that umbrella hat and wear that on your walks, they may not bother you :P

Uh..............

Seems like everything is going well bro. Keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot man, this is going to take me years to complete, I can tell. No big deal though, this will be my ultimate challenge.

On Saturdays I usually like to take 2+ hour walks, but today is the orientation for my new job. It will last 7+ hours, so I went out at 7am today and walked for an hour. My exercise schedule will have to be molded around my new schedule. It sucks working two jobs, but it will be better than last time I did it. Last time I worked 2 full time jobs, basically 16 hours a day. I had little free time, I ate fast food every meal 7 days a week, and I never slept. This time I will be working one full time and one part time job. I should be able to maintain my exercise and diet no problem.

ScottC
05-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Keep up the good work & good luck with your new [2nd] job. I admire your perseverence.

heathershubby
05-19-2007, 12:53 PM
dude anything can cause one stall. You may have put forth a little extra effort in previous exercises or didn't eat enough carbs or didn't rest long enough between sets. 1 stall is nothing don't let it mess with your mind. Have a good high carb and protien meal an hour to 1/2 hour before your next workout and get ready mentally you will be fine. Keep up the good work bro.

cawiau
05-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Just passing by to say hey. I see you still doing some great progress. Keep it up.
And good luck at your new job.

TheKansan
05-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Keep up the good work & good luck with your new [2nd] job. I admire your perseverence.

I'm just glad to finally be able to join a gym/buy some equipment. The job is relaxed atmosphere, and probably the easiest job I have ever done. I've done a lot of physical labor in the past, so a call center is very easy to me.

dude anything can cause one stall. You may have put forth a little extra effort in previous exercises or didn't eat enough carbs or didn't rest long enough between sets. 1 stall is nothing don't let it mess with your mind. Have a good high carb and protien meal an hour to 1/2 hour before your next workout and get ready mentally you will be fine. Keep up the good work bro.

Thats a good idea. The only thing that changed between that workout and the one prior is the fact that on Wednesday I did cardio, slept for 7 hours, then woke up later in the day and lifted, while on Friday I did cardio immediately before lifting. Maybe the cardio robbed me of some energy.

Just passing by to say hey. I see you still doing some great progress. Keep it up.
And good luck at your new job.

Thanks a lot.

TheKansan
05-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Starting Monday I am cutting down to 30 minutes cardio a day. This way I will still get cardio, but I won't have to lose sleep. Also on Tuesday and Thursdays from now on, which are usually my days off from lifting, I will do a basic ab workout, which is crunches and the plank. I don't want my second job to negatively impact my progress, but I do need to change things.

ScottC
05-20-2007, 02:18 PM
I do 30 minutes of cardio 6 days a week with good results. Keep an eye on your diet plan and you will too.

cornwallus
05-20-2007, 04:04 PM
This is my typical meal plan. I am trying to eat 2500 calories a day and 250g of protein. I am not on any keto diet so I don't think about macros.

*banana
*4 strawberries
*1 cup milk
*2 scopps whey protein
*5 ice cubes

PB sandwich-300 calories
(2 slices whole grain bread and all natural PB)
orange-70 calories

2 turkey burgers-320 calories
2 whole wheat buns-220 calories
2 Tbs. Salsa-20 calories

3 skinless chicken legs-390 calories
mashed potatoes-180 calories
sauteed vegetables-110 calories

total calories=2490
total protein=250g
total dietary fiber=25g
servings of fruit/vegetables-6

I don't eat the same thing every day ever. This is just what I ate, and am going to eat today. Just as an example.

Also the supplements I take are:

Whey protein powder
generic multivitamin
generic fish oil
creatine powder-workout days
creatine monohydrate capsules-non workout days

I am not going to list my entire exercise routine here, I have another thread dedicated to that
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2417761

I will say that I do cardio seven days a week and that I do full body weightlifting workouts 3 days a week.

I think that diet is real good actually, You want good numbers, your above the 1800cal a day for men minimum, and you feel full?

Excellent ;)

TheKansan
05-21-2007, 07:41 AM
I just completed my workout and let me just say that it kicked my ass. i am exhausted after doing it today. Part of the reason is because I did one of my reps on the last set of zercher squats in bad form, so to make up for it I did an extra rep, which damn near killed me, but I got it up, and in good form. I only walked 30 minutes today, but I stepped it up and walked faster than I have ever walked before. By the time I made it home I was more tired than I usually am after walking an hour. This is probably another reason I am so exhausted.

yioti
05-21-2007, 11:50 AM
hey man seems like your doing great, keep it up
also, it doesnt really matter how long you do cardio as much as the intensity
just be carefull , bieng big guys like us doesnt usually help with the joints much. try doing the stationary bike or like you said before brisk walking works well

keep it up bro

TheKansan
05-22-2007, 07:18 AM
hey man seems like your doing great, keep it up
also, it doesnt really matter how long you do cardio as much as the intensity
just be carefull , bieng big guys like us doesnt usually help with the joints much. try doing the stationary bike or like you said before brisk walking works well

keep it up bro

Yeah, brisk walks are great cardio. Thanks for the comments.

Today I did a minor ab workout consisting of the plank and dumbbell situps. Basically it was a way to keep from getting bored on my days off from Rippetoes and I figure it will burn some extra calories to help make up for walking less than my usual 60 minutes.

The second job is going well, I really like a job where you get to sit down at a desk. Compared to what I am used to doing (manual labor), it is easy. I'm doing my workouts first thing in the morning when I get off work so I can get the most sleep. The only problem I am having is establishing a good eating schedule.

TheKansan
05-23-2007, 07:24 AM
I bought a very inexpensive L-arginine supplement last night while at work. I am testing it out to see if it works. It was only $3, so even if it doesn't work well I am not out too much money. Today's workout went well. I was able to get all of my reps for the bench press up this time, though the last set was very slow, so I will probably stick with the same weight again for the next workout.

ScottC
05-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Glad your new job is going well. I know what you mean about not having to do labor while at a desk...but I miss my boatyard days. Being outside in every kind of weather imaginable...:)

heathershubby
05-23-2007, 07:48 PM
I read your post and I read to fast thought you said I bought a real expensive supp and then I saw $3 and was like WTF then I reread it lol.

You will find your grove with the eating it might take a bit is all keep up the good work bro.

TheKansan
05-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Glad your new job is going well. I know what you mean about not having to do labor while at a desk...but I miss my boatyard days. Being outside in every kind of weather imaginable...:)

My favorite job ever was a warehouse job where we unloaded trucks 8 hours a day. It was still great fun, forklift racing, and we could cuss as much as we wanted, which is frowned upon at most places.

I read your post and I read to fast thought you said I bought a real expensive supp and then I saw $3 and was like WTF then I reread it lol.

You will find your grove with the eating it might take a bit is all keep up the good work bro.

I have been keeping a tub of whey and some water in my car for a protein boost while on break. Also I take 3 pb sandwiches and 2 oranges to work with me everyday. I'm getting my calorie requirements, because fortunately I work in a grocery store.

Today I got home from work and immediately did my morning walk. It was just in time too because it started raining about 5 minutes after I finished. I'm going to do the ab workout later in the day. After I get my first paycheck from my new job I decided to buy a 300 pound olympic barbell set. I was going to join a gym first, but for now I think it will be easier for me to find time to lift if I lift at home.

Thanks everyone for the support.

thundergut
05-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Hey man, congrats on the additional income flow and impending barbell/weights purchase. I read an article a while ago on building a home gym. It's geared towards people who do the CrossFit workouts, but you might like to read it...never know :)

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/cfjissue1_Sep02.pdf

Oh, and also, even though it seems like you work nights...be wary of keeping the protein in your car. I know here in NC it gets naaasty hot, and whey protein has issues at high heat if I remember correctly, so keeping it in your car may ruin/spoil/etc it if it gets too warm.

TheKansan
05-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Hey man, congrats on the additional income flow and impending barbell/weights purchase. I read an article a while ago on building a home gym. It's geared towards people who do the CrossFit workouts, but you might like to read it...never know :)

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/cfjissue1_Sep02.pdf

Oh, and also, even though it seems like you work nights...be wary of keeping the protein in your car. I know here in NC it gets naaasty hot, and whey protein has issues at high heat if I remember correctly, so keeping it in your car may ruin/spoil/etc it if it gets too warm.

I didn't even know that about whey. Thanks for the tip, I will take it inside and put it in my locker at work.

cawiau
05-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Just passing by to see how is your progress going so far.
You seemed to be doing more than well, so keep up the great work.

ScottC
05-24-2007, 06:13 PM
... and we could cuss as much as we wanted, which is frowned upon at most places.
...especially at a call center. ;) :D

TheKansan
05-25-2007, 08:02 AM
Just passing by to see how is your progress going so far.
You seemed to be doing more than well, so keep up the great work.

Thanks a lot, so far so good. I am able to keep my motivation high due to a lot of support from my family and coworkers. Everyone is always commenting how great a thing it is that I am doing.

...especially at a call center. ;) :D

Yeah cussing at people while talking on a phone isn't a good idea :)

I once again have completed my workout for the day. I am out of weights to add to my lifts. As I mentioned before I work out at home and have a limited amount of weight to use for lifting. It is only about 180 pounds. Well today I did 180 pound zercher squats and I don't have any more weight to add. I will ask on the Rippetoes FAQ thread about what to do until I can add more weight. Anyway the lifts went well today.

This is the end of my 4th week on my modified version of Rippetoes. I really like this program for a few reasons. First off it is easy to learn and remember. There are only 5 exercises that you have to do, and only 3 of those per workout. Because of that, it only takes me 30-40 minutes to do a workout, which is great considering I work two jobs. Also you only work out 3 days a week, which is good for the same reason. Besides I want to focus on my overall strength. I will never be a bodybuilder, but I would like to be much stronger.

Thanks everyone for the support and comments.

thundergut
05-25-2007, 08:08 AM
Keep pounding away man! (or pounding down, maybe?)

Between you and Heathershubby, I can't but feel motivated by your progress and journals. You both have more going on in life than I do (family and/or 2 jobs), so really, what excuses do I have for being lazy? :)

Great work so far, and I'm looking forward to your next weigh in!

TheKansan
05-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Keep pounding away man! (or pounding down, maybe?)

Between you and Heathershubby, I can't but feel motivated by your progress and journals. You both have more going on in life than I do (family and/or 2 jobs), so really, what excuses do I have for being lazy? :)

Great work so far, and I'm looking forward to your next weigh in!

None, and this is what I tell people all the time. It takes very little time to live healthier. Thanks man.

cawiau
05-25-2007, 01:41 PM
It takes very little time to live healthier.

If most people thought like you.....;)

Keep on working hard bro, you are doing great.

Goalie_Girl
05-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Good luck Kansan, keep it up. I love the way you think and carry yourself. Go kansan go!

~Lindsay

-Aaron-
05-25-2007, 09:29 PM
This will probably be one of the last posts for me, on this forum, so I wish you good luck on your weight loss journey.

TheKansan
05-26-2007, 09:30 AM
I have proof positive that the compound exercises that are performed in Rippetoes help increase overall strength. I haven't done barbell curls in over a month, since before I started Rippetoes. Well yesterday I was curious if I was getting any stronger, so I loaded my barbell with the weight for my 5rm from a month ago. I was easily able to curl 10 reps. So I decided to add weight to it until I reached my new 5rm. It turns out that I gained 15 pounds on my 5rm for curls, and I did not do curls once in the entire last month. I am more than happy with these results.

Today as on every Saturday I wanted to take a longer walk than usual, but rather than it being 2+ hours, it was only eighty minutes, but because the pace I was walking at was pretty fast, I felt it was a better workout than some of my previous 2 hour walks.

ScottC
05-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Keep up the good work! Sounds like progress all the way around! :)

TheKansan
05-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Keep up the good work! Sounds like progress all the way around! :)

Thanks a lot man, my motivation is through the roof, and has been for at least 3 months now. I feel like nothing can stop me.

Finnegan Bell
05-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Today as on every Saturday I wanted to take a longer walk than usual, but rather than it being 2+ hours, it was only eighty minutes, but because the pace I was walking at was pretty fast, I felt it was a better workout than some of my previous 2 hour walks.

wow u can walk this long!,I am amazed,keep going man,very nice.

TheKansan
05-28-2007, 07:25 AM
wow u can walk this long!,I am amazed,keep going man,very nice.

I have grown to love taking long walks. I have walked as long as 7 hours before. Every day I do a brisk 30 minute walk, and on Saturdays, if I have time I walk 2+ hours, usually exploring the neighborhoods of Kansas City.

I just completed my daily workout and the beginning of my 5th week on Rippetoes and my workout went excellently, in spite of the fact that I got off of work after working both jobs for a grand total of 13 hours. I easily pushed my reps out for the bench press, ending my mini-stall. The only problem is that I am out of weight to add for my squats and deadlifts since I workout at home, so I just used the same weight I did on last Friday.

It was nice walking today since there is a lot less traffic on the holiday. Anyway thanks everyone for keeping me motivated.

cawiau
05-28-2007, 10:54 AM
I have grown to love taking long walks. I have walked as long as 7 hours before. Every day I do a brisk 30 minute walk, and on Saturdays, if I have time I walk 2+ hours, usually exploring the neighborhoods of Kansas City.

I just completed my daily workout and the beginning of my 5th week on Rippetoes and my workout went excellently, in spite of the fact that I got off of work after working both jobs for a grand total of 13 hours. I easily pushed my reps out for the bench press, ending my mini-stall. The only problem is that I am out of weight to add for my squats and deadlifts since I workout at home, so I just used the same weight I did on last Friday.

It was nice walking today since there is a lot less traffic on the holiday. Anyway thanks everyone for keeping me motivated.

WOW!!!! Incredible energy...
Keep up a good work :)

TheKansan
05-29-2007, 11:01 AM
I was looking over the Rippetoes guide and it says that you can add accessory exercises to your workout as you progress. I already added the ab training, and I am still not capable of doing chin ups or dips, so I am going to add the tricep extensions and barbell curls to the Friday workout starting this week. Its my 5th week on Rippetoes and I think I am ready.

cawiau
05-29-2007, 11:06 AM
I was looking over the Rippetoes guide and it says that you can add accessory exercises to your workout as you progress. I already added the ab training, and I am still not capable of doing chin ups or dips, so I am going to add the tricep extensions and barbell curls to the Friday workout starting this week. Its my 5th week on Rippetoes and I think I am ready.

Wish you the best.
If you think you are ready, than you are ready ;)

TheKansan
05-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Wish you the best.
If you think you are ready, than you are ready ;)

Yeah I'm ready.

The thing that I find hard to believe is that you can't gain muscle while cutting. I look at myself in the mirror and I just look more muscular. I know its probably attributed to less fat covering the muscles, but then consider my strength gains too. Of course there are a lot of people more educated than me who know better, but I at least feel like I am getting more muscular, even if I am not.

cawiau
05-29-2007, 11:26 AM
The thing that I find hard to believe is that you can't gain muscle while cutting.

Yep it is possible.
Definitely more so for you that is a newbie.

TheKansan
05-30-2007, 06:48 AM
It was absolutely pouring rain today when I was out walking. I had to walk early this morning though because I need to get some rest before I head into work this evening. I am working 13 hours tonight. To make things worse, I still have yet to do my lifting for the day. Still nothing could make me miss my exercise routine (aside from a family emergency), so I guess I better get to it.

cawiau
05-30-2007, 07:08 AM
Damn!!! I feel your pain brother, 13 hours!!! WOW.
When do you intend to hit the exercises?

TheKansan
05-30-2007, 07:38 AM
Damn!!! I feel your pain brother, 13 hours!!! WOW.
When do you intend to hit the exercises?

I just completed my lifting and posted an update in my workout jornal. Squats were pure torture today. Probably because I took shorter breaks between sets and I did one additional rep per set since I am temporarily out of weight to add. I swear I am going to be barely able to walk later today when I head to work. Anyway, I have got to get some sleep, I will post again tommorrow.

cawiau
05-30-2007, 07:46 AM
I just completed my lifting and posted an update in my workout jornal. Squats were pure torture today. Probably because I took shorter breaks between sets and I did one additional rep per set since I am temporarily out of weight to add. I swear I am going to be barely able to walk later today when I head to work. Anyway, I have got to get some sleep, I will post again tommorrow.

Enjoy the rest, you deserve it.
Nice workout.

thundergut
05-30-2007, 07:52 AM
13 hours of work ahead of you and still working out, dang. I'd be tempted to pack in some extra rest and skip the workout, but thats just me and I'm lazy by nature :) I'm impressed with your drive and determination bro, keep up the great work!

Freddie Beef
05-30-2007, 07:56 AM
You are a true champion. Just be sure to look for signs of burnout. It can sneak up on ya and...BOOM...I know you are wise enough to look out for that. Keep it up bro!

cawiau
05-30-2007, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=thundergut;47059551] I'd be tempted to pack in some extra rest and skip the workout, but thats just me and I'm lazy by nature :) QUOTE]

Me and you both partner!!!
Kansan is making us all look bad :)
Incredible drive and determinination

jaybo334
05-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Great job Kansan! I guess I need to start a thread and do one of these journals too!

yioti
05-30-2007, 01:23 PM
keep going dude. never give up. im never giving up till i see my six pack which realistically might be never but i wanna see it bad. youve got determination bro NEVER STOP!

Finnegan Bell
05-30-2007, 01:39 PM
I just completed my lifting and posted an update in my workout jornal. Squats were pure torture today. Probably because I took shorter breaks between sets and I did one additional rep per set .

Shorter rest periods are great;

Greater GH production + Higher Heart Rate

ScottC
05-31-2007, 04:15 AM
Nice workout.
I agree. Great job!

TheKansan
05-31-2007, 11:18 AM
Nice workout.

13 hours of work ahead of you and still working out, dang. I'd be tempted to pack in some extra rest and skip the workout, but thats just me and I'm lazy by nature :) I'm impressed with your drive and determination bro, keep up the great work!

You are a true champion. Just be sure to look for signs of burnout. It can sneak up on ya and...BOOM...I know you are wise enough to look out for that. Keep it up bro!

Great job Kansan! I guess I need to start a thread and do one of these journals too!

keep going dude. never give up. im never giving up till i see my six pack which realistically might be never but i wanna see it bad. youve got determination bro NEVER STOP!

Shorter rest periods are great;

Greater GH production + Higher Heart Rate

I agree. Great job!

Thanks everyone, though nothing I am doing is really special, just working hard like everyone else.

Today is my day off from lifting, my day off from my full-time job, and pay day. So you can guess I am pretty happy today. Not that I don't enjoy lifting, I just needed to relax thats all. As bad as the weather was yesterday, it is perfect today, cool, sunny, with a nice breeze. My walk this morning was the most enjoyable one in a week.

I set a checkpoint for myself at June 1st. At the checkpoint I evaluate my progress and make changes so that the next 3 months will be easier. At that point will be another checkpoint where I do the same thing. Changes which I am contemplating include increasing my calorie intake, increasing the accessory exercises that I am doing with rippetoes, changing the supplements I am using , and further adapting my diet using macros (currently I don't use macros).

cawiau
05-31-2007, 11:34 AM
Today is my day off from lifting, my day off from my full-time job, and pay day. So you can guess I am pretty happy today. Not that I don't enjoy lifting, I just needed to relax thats all. As bad as the weather was yesterday, it is perfect today, cool, sunny, with a nice breeze. My walk this morning was the most enjoyable one in a week.

Seems like you are having a great day so far. :D

Here it's to hot for me, sweating like a pig everytime I go outside.

Enjoy your day off bro...

TheKansan
06-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Its Friday and the final day of the 5th week on my slightly modified version of the Rippetoes Starting Strength program. In spite of the fact that I couldn't add weight to my squats or deadlifts, by increasing the reps on squats, and doing an additional set of deadlifts, I believe I got a pretty good workout. Next week I should be able to buy a 300# barbell set, but first I must get paid from my new job.

I entered the Summer cutting contest not knowing that it was going to become a true contest with prizes and everything, and its not that I don't think I can do pretty well, but some of the guys in that contest are pretty good at cutting. Besides today I increased my daily calories by 200 from now on and also since I started my second job, I am only doing half as much cardio as before. I am kind of trying to slowly switch from losing as much weight as quickly as possible to losing body fat slowly and steadily as I get closer to my first goal of 300 pounds.

Also I came to the conclusion that I wanted to try out new supplements, specifically the Animal Pak multivitamins. If anyone has any experience with the Animal Pak, please comment. Yes I know it is expensive and that is out of character for me, but I got a really good review from a coworker who is a powerlifter and uses it.

cawiau
06-01-2007, 09:56 AM
It is good to have you in the contest.
I believe it is only fair that I let you know that I am going for the best transformation overall so better bring it on.

Besided that, how is everything?
And what workout are you going to do today?

TheKansan
06-01-2007, 10:05 AM
It is good to have you in the contest.
I believe it is only fair that I let you know that I am going for the best transformation overall so better bring it on.

Besided that, how is everything?
And what workout are you going to do today?

Today is the A workout on Rippetoes with accessory exercises. It goes like this:

Squats 3x10
Bench presses 3x10
deadlifts 2x10

barbell curls 2x8
tricep extensions 2x8

The number of reps and sets on some exercises I do is different than is siggested, but for safety sake since I am working out at home with limited equipment, I don't do 5rm, but my 10rm instead.

I am just competing for fun, my transformation will be great, but I will probably need a lot more than 6 months.

heathershubby
06-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Today is the A workout on Rippetoes with accessory exercises. It goes like this:

Squats 3x10
Bench presses 3x10
deadlifts 2x10

barbell curls 2x8
tricep extensions 2x8

The number of reps and sets on some exercises I do is different than is siggested, but for safety sake since I am working out at home with limited equipment, I don't do 5rm, but my 10rm instead.

I am just competing for fun, my transformation will be great, but I will probably need a lot more than 6 months.

I remember you saying somthing about adding weight did you get any ???

ScottC
06-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Also I came to the conclusion that I wanted to try out new supplements, specifically the Animal Pak multivitamins. If anyone has any experience with the Animal Pak, please comment. Yes I know it is expensive and that is out of character for me, but I got a really good review from a coworker who is a powerlifter and uses it.
I can't really say whether I was bigger, faster, stronger when I used AP or not. It got rather annoying to me to not only take all those pills, but to have to add in the additional 16 calories to my plan. But that is my own opinion. During this plan I have been using AST's Multi Pro 32X, and along with Xtend during my workout and my PWO drinks, have had good pumps etc. Remember, AP is a multivitamin.

Best to you in the contest. Doesn't matter about guys who may be good at cutting, it is about the best transformation...and that favors you and the other big guys & gals. ;)

Average-Joe
06-01-2007, 05:09 PM
very nice progress kansan

TheKansan
06-02-2007, 12:31 AM
I can't really say whether I was bigger, faster, stronger when I used AP or not. It got rather annoying to me to not only take all those pills, but to have to add in the additional 16 calories to my plan. But that is my own opinion. During this plan I have been using AST's Multi Pro 32X, and along with Xtend during my workout and my PWO drinks, have had good pumps etc. Remember, AP is a multivitamin.

Best to you in the contest. Doesn't matter about guys who may be good at cutting, it is about the best transformation...and that favors you and the other big guys & gals. ;)

Yeah I know its a multivitamin. My coworker has told me that he has had a lot more energy while using the pak. I also know its a lot of pills, which seems annoying, but considering I am already taking 5-7 pills a day depending on the day of the week, a few more doesn't seem so bad. My only real concern is if the performance is worth the price, and damn adding 16 calories, I would rather eat 16 calories worth of food.

TheKansan
06-02-2007, 12:33 AM
I remember you saying somthing about adding weight did you get any ???

I haven't been able to add any weight. I am buying an olympic barbell and 300 pounds worth of weights within the next week, so I should be alright for a while.

ScottC
06-02-2007, 04:19 AM
My only real concern is if the performance is worth the price, and damn adding 16 calories, I would rather eat 16 calories worth of food.
Honestly, just going on that one point ^^^^^, imo, it isn't worth the price.

Go with either what I am taking, the AST:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ast/multi-pro.html

...or NOW Adam, which other people really like too:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/adam.html

heathershubby
06-02-2007, 09:07 AM
and am very happy I know I am getting my $6 bucks worth. I looked at the animal pak and I am just to damn cheap to by them lol. Good luck with whatever you decide though.

TheKansan
06-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Honestly, just going on that one point ^^^^^, imo, it isn't worth the price.

Go with either what I am taking, the AST:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ast/multi-pro.html

...or NOW Adam, which other people really like too:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/adam.html

I think I'm gonna go with the AST, thanks for the recommendation Scott.

Today is Saturday, and for those who know, I like to take long walks on Saturdays. Today was no exception and I walked about 9 miles in 3 and a half hours today, not including a couple of 10 minute breaks. It was looking like rain when I left my house this morning, but by the time I had walked for a couple of hours, the sun had come out and it turned into a beautiful day. Unfortunately because it had looked like rain I had worn my rain coat, so I had to spend hours carrying it around. Anyway, I am back to working both jobs again tommorrow. Have a good day everyone.

TheKansan
06-04-2007, 06:52 AM
Its a beautiful Monday and I am psyched up because it is my first pay day at my new job, and that means I can finally buy my 300# olympic barbell set. I may go get it today. I haven't worked out yet, but I only have to work at one job until Wednesday, so there is no rush. I can sit back, relax, and hang out on bb.com for a while before I get started.

I have DOMS in my legs and shoulders from all the walking I did on Saturday. Its weird thinking that I walked so much that I got DOMS. The last time this happened was the day I walked almost 8 hours, and Saturday I didn't walk nearly that long.

TheKansan
06-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Just completed my workout, it was a bad workout. I had no energy while lifting, and I struggled getting the reps out. I probably should have either lifted first then did cardio, or did cardio, slept for 8 hours, then lifted. Either way it would have turned out better than it did. Still I would rather have my lifting out of the way so that I don't have to worry about it. I would rather have a bad workout than no workout at all.

logik9
06-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Keep up the good work, as you said a workout is better then no workout..

TheKansan
06-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Keep up the good work, as you said a workout is better then no workout..

Thank you sir, that is what I was thinking.

Ok, I am currently using whey protein in my pre-workout and post work out shakes. Here is a break down of my shakes

Pre Work Out

1/2 cup skim milk - 40 calories 4g protein
1 scoop Six Star Muscle Fuel Whey Protein powder - 130 calories 25g protein
1/2 banana - 50 calories
2-3 medium to large strawberries - 30 calories
4 ice cubes

total - 250 calories 29g protein

Post Work Out

1/2 cup skim milk - 40 calories 4g protein
1 scoop Six Star Muscle Fuel Whey Protein powder - 130 calories 25g protein
1 scoop fruit punch flavored Body Fortress creatine powder - 150 calories
1/2 banana - 50 calories
2-3 medium to large strawberries - 30 calories
4 ice cubes

total - 400 calories 29g protein

That is on workout days (M-W-F). On days I don't lift (T-Th-Sa-Su), I still drink very similar shakes, but instead of using the Six Star protein powder, I use body fortress protein powder, which is cheaper, doesn't taste as good, and doesn't have as much protein as the six star. Also on the post workout shake which I still drink after my cardio and ab workouts on days I am off from lifting but not on weekends, I don't add the scoop of creatine powder. I take creatine monohydrate capsules on those days, and a lower dose than usual.

ScottC
06-04-2007, 06:04 PM
DOMS from walking...wow that is a good leg workout!

You should get a good workout carrying the 300lb weight set back home. :p :D

Keep up the good work! :)

yioti
06-04-2007, 06:05 PM
hey how do you like the creatine? i have been contemplating buying some to use but not sure if its worth it/which to buy. +im not big on supplements. im a big food+water fan. your wo shakes look good man lol whats funny is im not to keen on eating fruit OR dairy while trying to lose weight. to each is own tho as long as your eating its good. keep up the good work.

TheKansan
06-04-2007, 06:58 PM
hey how do you like the creatine? i have been contemplating buying some to use but not sure if its worth it/which to buy. +im not big on supplements. im a big food+water fan. your wo shakes look good man lol whats funny is im not to keen on eating fruit OR dairy while trying to lose weight. to each is own tho as long as your eating its good. keep up the good work.

I have noticed gains while using creatine, but quite honestly the real difference might be my workout program which went from being a lackluster program I threw together, into Rippetoes which has really helped me increase my strength.

To tell you the truth, I am not big on eating fruits either, which is why I incorporated them into my workout shakes. That way 2 servings of fruit are a given every day. I still eat other fruits and vegetables, its just easier this way. As for the milk, I am lactose intolerant and that 1 cup of milk is all I have a day.

TheKansan
06-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Well today I do my small abs workout, which consists of only two exercises, sit ups and the plank. When I first started trying to lose weight I did 100 sit ups every day for basically 3 months straight. That is why I do weighted sit ups, regular ones are too easy. Just for kicks I did as many sit ups as I could possibly do without weight and without stopping. After 130 I thought my abs were gonna explode. I figured I needed a bigger challenge, so I started holding a 15 pound dumbell when doing sit ups.

TheKansan
06-06-2007, 08:45 AM
I am only online for about 15 minutes today and i just posted an update in my workout journal and thought I would post one here as well b efore getting some rest. The workout today was almost as bad as the one on Monday. I was rushed due to needing some sleep before I work both jobs tonight. It didn't help that my father dropped by for a visit this morning and wanted to talk for an hour.

I haven't bought the barbell yet, but tommorrow it is likely I will get it. I have a job interview in the morning, and no I'm not trying to get a third job, its just I am trying to get one good job to replace my two lower paying jobs now. This could turn out very well for me.

Hotmoltenlava
06-06-2007, 09:26 AM
This could turn out very well for me.

Good luck!

ScottC
06-07-2007, 04:04 AM
It didn't help that my father dropped by for a visit this morning and wanted to talk for an hour.

I haven't bought the barbell yet, but tommorrow it is likely I will get it. I have a job interview in the morning, and no I'm not trying to get a third job, its just I am trying to get one good job to replace my two lower paying jobs now. This could turn out very well for me.
Enjoy your time with your father. My father & I seemed to never get a chance to sit down and talk until he unexpectedly became very sick and a couple of months later he passed away at 67y.o.

Good luck with the job interview. What type of a position is it?

TheKansan
06-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Good luck!

Thanks man, I still owe you some more reps once I can rep you again.

Enjoy your time with your father. My father & I seemed to never get a chance to sit down and talk until he unexpectedly became very sick and a couple of months later he passed away at 67y.o.

Good luck with the job interview. What type of a position is it?

The position is for a postal carrier at the post office. It turned out to not be everything I thought it would be. First of all they can't promise full-time hours. They work 25-35 hours a week. Secondly there are no benefits. No insurance, no vacation, no nothing. Third is the fact that with the shift that they work, between 9 am and 6pm depending on how busy it is, it would be impossible for me to work a second job. Oh and they pay less than what I make at wal-mart. Also they work 6 days a week. How am I supposed to do anything with a job like that?

I have worked at wal-mart for 7 years and giving up my vacation, sick time, medical/dental/life insurance, my 401K and profit sharing, and about $1 an hour plus not even getting full time hours seems idiotic. The only possible benefit is that once someone is hired in, they have a shot at a better job after working there a few months. If they offer me the position I am turning it down.

Anyway as for the ab workout today, it went well. I got everything finished within 1 hour of getting off of work today so that I could get ready for my interview and still get a little sleep before having to work this afternoon. If you can't tell by the fact that I am posting this message, I am suffering from insomnia and can't get to sleep. Oh well.

SkinnyDip
06-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Go get your weight set!!!! Good job on the loss this week, you will be under 300 very soon at this pace.

TheKansan
06-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Go get your weight set!!!! Good job on the loss this week, you will be under 300 very soon at this pace.

I probably should do that, but I'm in no hurry, I will have it for tommorrows workout whether I buy it today or tommorrow.

TheKansan
06-07-2007, 08:47 PM
I finally bought the 300# weight set and I am geared up to do some lifting. I may do a few practice runs of deadlifts tonight. I can't wait to finally advance in my workouts starting tommorrow.

TheKansan
06-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Ok, I just deadlifted 5 reps of 300#. I guess I need more weight.......lol

The weight is a little easier for me to deadlift because the plates on the bar are so large that they make the bar sit a lot farther off the ground than my other bar sat with 180 pounds.

My legs are pretty strong from carrying my fat ass around. The only real issue was that the lifts bothered my hands a little.

ScottC
06-08-2007, 05:02 AM
Glad you got your weight set. Keep up the good work!

Talk to you when I get back. :)

TheKansan
06-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Well today was my first official workout with my new weight set and it went great. I got plenty of rest last night and I was excited to do my workout today. I hit a new pr on squats and rows, though my overhead presses are kind of lagging, it is to be expected having read the FAQ for Starting Strength.

I am looking at maps of the city and trying to come up with a new walking route to take tommorrow of about 6-8 miles. I love taking long walks and I am constantly challenging myself to try new routes and see new things.

TheKansan
06-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Its finally the weekend, not that I am off from work or anything, in fact I work both jobs today. So rather than doing my usual 2+ hour walk today, I walked for 1 hour and I will cut the grass at my house before I go to work. I am excited about lifting on Monday, especially since my new 5rm on bench is 195 pounds.

Finnegan Bell
06-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Man u lifts are great??when did u start lifting,I am sure it isnt a month ago.

TheKansan
06-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Man u lifts are great??when did u start lifting,I am sure it isnt a month ago.

I started lifting back in January. I was doing a lot of dumbbell presses and a lot of lighter weight higher repetition exercises. Anyway at the end of April I stepped it up and bought a cheap barbell and began Rippetoes. Fast forward 6 weeks to now and I have made some pretty good gains on Rippetoes. When I started my 5 rm on bench press was only around 135 pounds, and now it is around 195 pounds. Part of that is improved form, and better breathing, but the rest is strength gains that I made from following an excellent program. Even though Rippetoes isn't exactly made for people who are cutting, I have seen great results with it. A lot of people are trying to attain a certain look, but personally my goals are to increase my strength a great deal.

Today is Sunday and it is a lazy day. I only work one job today and the only exercise I had to do was cardio. I begin my 7th week of Rippetoes tommorrow. Now that I have reached my bench press goal of 200 pounds, I am going to set a new goal of bench pressing 300 pounds.

skuZZitude
06-10-2007, 04:09 PM
How does 22lbs lighter feel Kansan? Must feel good! Keep up the good work.

cawiau
06-10-2007, 04:12 PM
I am looking at maps of the city and trying to come up with a new walking route to take tommorrow of about 6-8 miles. I love taking long walks and I am constantly challenging myself to try new routes and see new things.

That's good, this way you get a good walk and also get to know your town even better.

Keep at it.

TheKansan
06-10-2007, 04:40 PM
How does 22lbs lighter feel Kansan? Must feel good! Keep up the good work.

I really can't tell the difference between now and the last 22 pounds, but the difference between when I was at 475 pounds, and now is just exponential. People are already treating me so much better, and I feel like a 100% different man.

That's good, this way you get a good walk and also get to know your town even better.

Keep at it.

Thanks a lot.

logik9
06-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Keep up the good work, I have been on my diet now for the last week and have read through your journal and you have been one of my motivations. I have needed to lose weight for a while now as I put on alot of weight last year due to a serious of deaths in my family. I just lost my 6yr old nephew on monday of this week and I was a little worried about everyone being around and all the food but I kept on my diet and cant wait for my weigh in on Tuesday... I hope you keep posting and I will keep you posted on how Iam doing Just wanted to shoot this to you as a thanks as i do enjoy reading it everyday. I am additced to reading a few threads in here now and that has been my motivation because its not easy losing weight but when you feel like you have people doing it with you it just seems easier... Good Luck and keep up the good work..

TheKansan
06-11-2007, 12:03 PM
I came home from work today and sat down fully intending to take my multivitamin, fish oil, and then do cardio and lift. Instead I closed my eyes and fully clothed fell asleep for three hours. Its no big deal today because I only work one job and I still have plenty of time for exercise, its just my plans didn't work out exactly right.

Anyway after I woke up I followed my normal routine. Its my 7th week into Rippetoes and the first time I do the A workout (squats, bench presses, deadlifts). Everything went well, no missed reps and no slowdowns. I can feel the DOMS in my lower back, chest, and legs already.

On another note, I am probably going to increase my calories again soon. I have been on 2700 calories for almost 2 weeks now, so I figure I will move up to 3000 calories soon. I weighed myself today and I weighed 335.8 which is 4.3 pounds less than last week, which still seems to be a little too high. I don't want to be losing more than 2 pounds a week when I hit the 300 pound mark so I can better preserve my muscle mass.

TheKansan
06-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Ok I decided that I was going to spend a few hours today cooking and preparing meals for the next few days since I will be working both jobs and I will be short on time. I prepared 9 meals today and 3 sack lunches, plus I took the time to weigh and seperate into baggies a large carton of peanuts for my snack items. The only cooking I should have to do for the next 3 days is throwing my protein shakes together in the blender.

cawiau
06-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Ok I decided that I was going to spend a few hours today cooking and preparing meals for the next few days since I will be working both jobs and I will be short on time. I prepared 9 meals today and 3 sack lunches, plus I took the time to weigh and seperate into baggies a large carton of peanuts for my snack items. The only cooking I should have to do for the next 3 days is throwing my protein shakes together in the blender.

Nice!!!
This way you are good to go.
Take care.

TheKansan
06-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Nice!!!
This way you are good to go.
Take care.

Yeah I will be good to go. With my next paycheck from my new job, it is likely I am buying an olympic bench/squat rack with the safety catches. Should make lifting a lot safer for me. Also I may join a gym too this coming week.

TheKansan
06-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Just completed my workout for the day. I am slowly changing my program back to the original Rippetoes program since I now have a lot more weight. I had modified the program due to only having 180 pounds worth of weight to lift with.

I work both jobs today so i got everything done the second I arrived home from work this morning. Still I won't get much sleep today, maybe 6 hours max. Its the price I pay for a little financial stability and to live in better health.

cawiau
06-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Yeah I will be good to go. With my next paycheck from my new job, it is likely I am buying an olympic bench/squat rack with the safety catches. Should make lifting a lot safer for me. Also I may join a gym too this coming week.

Damn bro!!!
You are on a row and there is nothing that can stop.
Keep at it brother, I have your back!

TheKansan
06-14-2007, 07:28 AM
Its ab day and that means its an easy workout day for me. Nothing but walking, sit ups, and the plank. Compared to doing heavy squats, deadlifts, and benches, this is nothing. I work both jobs again today, so rest is once again an issue. I only got 150 grams of protein yesterday, which is about 50 grams lower than I like to go. The main issue is that I only drank one protein shake yesterday and got the rest of my protein from solid food, making it that much harder to reach my protein goal.

I found a good deal on 100% pure creatine, which is very low in calories compared with the fruit punch flavored mix I am currently using, not to mention it is cheaper and has more servings. Only problem is that you have to mnix it with fruit juice for it to be effective. The good news is that Ocean Spray makes a Diet Cranberry juice that is only 5 calories for an 8 ounce cup, so that may work well and allow me to save more of my calories for real food.

TheKansan
06-14-2007, 07:15 PM
I am at work while writing this. Turns out that I had internet access here at my second job all along. I will take advantage of that from now on.

cawiau
06-14-2007, 07:23 PM
I am at work while writing this. Turns out that I had internet access here at my second job all along. I will take advantage of that from now on.

Yeah!!!
Anyway, how is everything working so far?
Lbs still dropping!

Saint Mike
06-15-2007, 05:08 AM
I am at work while writing this. Turns out that I had internet access here at my second job all along. I will take advantage of that from now on.Bah...We have the net at work, but the IT nazis have supreme control. There are like a billion filters that tells us what we can and cannot access.

TheKansan
06-15-2007, 07:43 AM
Bah...We have the net at work, but the IT nazis have supreme control. There are like a billion filters that tells us what we can and cannot access.

I thought it was that way at my job too, but it turned out it wasn't filtered at all.

Anyway I just finished my workout today and it was a good one. I feel like I have been run through a steam machine. My muscles are sore, I am soaked in sweat, and I feel worn out. A real good workout indeed.

I am upping my caloric intake today to 3000 a day. My overall goal is to lose fat slowly and steadily, and since I am quickly approaching my first goal of 300 pounds, I know this is the perfect time to start my switch over from fast weight loss to fat loss only. Also I am trying to move from 200-250g of protein a day to 250-300g of protein a day.

I get paid from my second job on Monday and I am going out to look at weight benches then.

Finnegan Bell
06-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Only problem is that you have to mnix it with fruit juice for it to be effective. The good news is that Ocean Spray makes a Diet Cranberry juice that is only 5 calories for an 8 ounce cup, so that may work well and allow me to save more of my calories for real food.

Hold on a second,the idea behind taking juice with creatine because simple carbs spike the insulin needed to transport the creatine to ur muscles,which means better absorbtion (up to 60% better).
The idea behind juice is to decrease the acidic medium of ur stomach,and thats why citrus juices arent optimal,but having any other carbs sources is fine.

But as I said it is recommended to have simple carbs with creatine,and what is the best time u get benefits of simple carbs like dextrose,maltodextrin,quick oats,bananas or grapes?? Yes,Post workout meal,it is the ideal time to take ur creatine post workout,when ur ATP levels are low.
It is a myth that creatine pre-workout gives u energy,u get this energy from creatine becasue ur muscles are saturated with it.
Why I tell u this because I think a 5-10 calories juice wont help at all to improve absorbtion of creatine.

TheKansan
06-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Dammit. I just hate wasting calories on juice. I prefer eating food. Thanks for the heads up Kaaud. I still can't rep you. Oh well.

Finnegan Bell
06-16-2007, 08:16 AM
Dammit. I just hate wasting calories on juice. I prefer eating food. Thanks for the heads up Kaaud. I still can't rep you. Oh well.

I agree that juice is a waste of calories,u better have solid fruit not juice,thats why i tell u that u can take ur creatine with ur post-workout shake.

TheKansan
06-16-2007, 10:09 AM
I agree that juice is a waste of calories,u better have solid fruit not juice,thats why i tell u that u can take ur creatine with ur post-workout shake.

Thats good, I will just mix it in the shake.

Today is Saturday and I love taking longer walks on Saturdays as I have mentioned many times before. Today I walked for about 2 hours and 6 miles all over the city. I took my camera with me so that I could take some pictures. It is one of the hottest days of the year so far, so I finally had to turn my AC at my house on. The bill for electricity last year scared me, so I had put it off until as late as possible. Since I sleep during the day sleeping was getting difficult in the heat. Especially since it has been over 90 degrees for the last few days.

TheKansan
06-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Right now I'm eating:

grilled chicken breast fillet
brown rice
potatoes
sauteed vegetables

calories=520
protein=31.5g

I'm gonna eat the same thing later today while on break from work, and two different meals between then and now.

TheKansan
06-17-2007, 08:16 AM

Ok I bought the creatine today.

It is 80-5g servings of creatine. I got it at wal-mart for $8. Seemed like a good price to me, plus I got my employee discount. I threw it in my post workout shake today, even though my workout was only cardio today.

Its Sunday and I only do cardio today so its a pretty easy day. I'm on week 8 of Rippetoes tommorrow and I'm going to go look at weight benches tommorrow too.

ScottC
06-18-2007, 06:22 AM
Looks like you have had a productive week. Keep up the good work! :cool:

I don't know what your walking route is looking like, but if you have some parks or offices with steps you can walk up and down, it will make it seem like some interval work. Little added benefits from just a small addition to your walks.

TheKansan
06-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Its finally week 8 of Rippetoes. Let me just say that I truly miss lifting on the weekends. To me that is the only downside to this program. Today's workout was tough, and I mean really tough. My motivation today after coming home from a long day at wal-mart was zero. I damn near went straight to bed when I arrived home, but that side of me that wants change more than anything else forced me to get up, go do my cardio, and then come home and lift. I am glad I did because all the stresses of last night melted away as I was completing my sets of squats. Only one thing mattered at that point, getting my body to my goals.

Looks like you have had a productive week. Keep up the good work! :cool:

I don't know what your walking route is looking like, but if you have some parks or offices with steps you can walk up and down, it will make it seem like some interval work. Little added benefits from just a small addition to your walks.

Thats a good idea. At this point I am damn near jogging. I walk pretty fast now compared to when I started. I may start training to run better. I really haven't run at all since I was in middle school. I have been in that poor shape for that long. Welcome back Scott.

heathershubby
06-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Its finally week 8 of Rippetoes. Let me just say that I truly miss lifting on the weekends. To me that is the only downside to this program. Today's workout was tough, and I mean really tough. My motivation today after coming home from a long day at wal-mart was zero. I damn near went straight to bed when I arrived home, but that side of me that wants change more than anything else forced me to get up, go do my cardio, and then come home and lift. I am glad I did because all the stresses of last night melted away as I was completing my sets of squats. Only one thing mattered at that point, getting my body to my goals.

Thats a good idea. At this point I am damn near jogging. I walk pretty fast now compared to when I started. I may start training to run better. I really haven't run at all since I was in middle school. I have been in that poor shape for that long. Welcome back Scott.

I have great admiration for your determination keep it up man you rock

TheKansan
06-19-2007, 06:39 AM
I have great admiration for your determination keep it up man you rock

You are the true inspiration here. I am just a guy sick of being fat.

Today I weighed in for the Unofficial Biggest Loser Transformation Contest and found that I had gained a small bit of weight since Friday when I weighed in for the Offical cutting contest. If you recall I upped my calories by 300 a day on Friday, so I realize I will probably be losing weight a little slower fom now on, and the small initial gain (0.8 pounds) is just my body getting used to the increased calories and that I will start losing again shortly. Still I lost 1.8 pounds last week and now weigh in at 334 pounds.

TheKansan
06-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Trying to get 300g of protein a day is costing me a fortune. Today I ate 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts. A bag of 12 of them is $7 at wal-mart. Not exactly cheap. Add to that the fact that I am spending $30 on whey every 2-3 weeks. I knew this second job would come in handy.

TheKansan
06-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Today was lifting day. I love lifting. My only problem with Rippetoes is that I don't lift as much as I want to lift. If it was up to me I would lift 7 days a week. Its tough on off days, staring at 200+ pounds worth of weight sitting on my bar and forcing myself to ignore it. I just want to lift it. It makes me feel good.

Hotmoltenlava
06-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Today was lifting day. I love lifting. My only problem with Rippetoes is that I don't lift as much as I want to lift. If it was up to me I would lift 7 days a week. Its tough on off days, staring at 200+ pounds worth of weight sitting on my bar and forcing myself to ignore it. I just want to lift it. It makes me feel good.

Nice job, man. Keep pushing!

ScottC
06-21-2007, 04:33 AM
Today I weighed in for the Unofficial Biggest Loser Transformation Contest and found that I had gained a small bit of weight since Friday when I weighed in for the Offical cutting contest. If you recall I upped my calories by 300 a day on Friday, so I realize I will probably be losing weight a little slower fom now on, and the small initial gain (0.8 pounds) is just my body getting used to the increased calories and that I will start losing again shortly. Still I lost 1.8 pounds last week and now weigh in at 334 pounds.
Hey, not every week can be a huge loss week. 1.8lbs is another 1.8lbs closer to your goal(s).

Keep up the good work! :)

TheKansan
06-21-2007, 07:51 AM
On May first I measured my waist at 58.5 inches. Today i busted out my measuring tape and measured again. I was more than shocked to see my waist is now 52 inches. I lost 6 inches off of my waist in 2 months about. I measured my neck too it was now 16.75" from 18" two months ago.

The weight I have lost in the last 2 months has been only around 30 pounds, which is not much compared to my first few months, but the size difference in my body is just huge.

I need to buy some new clothes. I still wear size 60 and 62 pants with my belt tightened a lot. Also I still wear a few of my 5x and 6x shirts.

ScottC
06-21-2007, 08:09 AM
On May first I measured my waist at 58.5 inches. Today i busted out my measuring tape and measured again. I was more than shocked to see my waist is now 52 inches. I lost 6 inches off of my waist in 2 months about. I measured my neck too it was now 16.75" from 18" two months ago.
Wow, Great results! Great job!

Kind of motivates you to go for a walk and get some more chicken. :p :D

TheKansan
06-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Wow, Great results! Great job!

Kind of motivates you to go for a walk and get some more chicken. :p :D

Even after eating chicken every day for nearly 6 months straight, I still love the stuff :)

I just completed my workout and have finally fully changed my slightly modified version of Rippetoes into the correct Rippetoes program. This was the end of my 8th week on the program and it is almost the end of nearly 2 months of me working hard on this program and I must say I am more than satisfied with the results. I just wish I could have had more proper equipment at an earlier time. Regardless I have made decent gains.

I weighed in for the official cutting contest today and my weight was 332.6 pounds, which is a 1.4 pound loss from Tuesday's weigh in, but since I had gained a small amount on Tuesday, I only lost 1.1 pounds this week for the contest. Still any loss is good, besides I am not concerned with this going slower for me, its not about any contest, its about my life.

Druluv75
06-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Good Work, Love the Enthusiasm. No Need to work out 7 days a week. You need some rest too. Besides, proper rest burns calories while repairing broken down muscles any way. I was wondering if you are using any EFA, or any Fish Oils. EFAs can help with fat loss.

As Big man too I know whats it like, keep up the good work, The Big and Tall stores are going to miss you very soon!

TheKansan
06-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Good Work, Love the Enthusiasm. No Need to work out 7 days a week. You need some rest too. Besides, proper rest burns calories while repairing broken down muscles any way. I was wondering if you are using any EFA, or any Fish Oils. EFAs can help with fat loss.

As Big man too I know whats it like, keep up the good work, The Big and Tall stores are going to miss you very soon!

I take 1000mg fish oil tablets 3x a day.

Thanks for the support.

Hotmoltenlava
06-22-2007, 10:04 AM

That is awesome, man! That should reinforce that the scale doesn't tell the whole story. I recently sent all of my 3X shirts to AM-Vets. It was a great feeling. I only wear 2X shirts to lounge around the house now. I only wear XL when I leave the house. It is a great feeling when success starts to happen. My shoulders will probably prevent me from wearing Large, but I can fit into the XL a little better in the gut with a little more bf loss.

Have a good one.

TheKansan
06-23-2007, 11:21 AM
That is awesome, man! That should reinforce that the scale doesn't tell the whole story. I recently sent all of my 3X shirts to AM-Vets. It was a great feeling. I only wear 2X shirts to lounge around the house now. I only wear XL when I leave the house. It is a great feeling when success starts to happen. My shoulders will probably prevent me from wearing Large, but I can fit into the XL a little better in the gut with a little more bf loss.

Have a good one.

I wish you could have sent the shirts my way. I am just getting down to 3x.

I decided last night before going to bed to put off my usual Saturday 2+ hour walk, and instead go fishing. The bad news is that I have yet to exercise for the day, but the good news is that I brought home a few decent sized channel catfish. One is in the oven right now cooking for my lunch. I looked up the nutritional information and it says that channel catfish have 89 calories and 15.4g of protein in 3 oz. The fish I am eating for lunch weighs approximately 9 ounces. Good lean meat and source of protein. Anyway after lunch I will get my cardio in for the day.

Druluv75
06-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Free food! lucky guy lol. How do you resist those wicked KC Ribs man?

cawiau
06-23-2007, 11:28 AM
the good news is that I brought home a few decent sized channel catfish. One is in the oven right now cooking for my lunch. I looked up the nutritional information and it says that channel catfish have 89 calories and 15.4g of protein in 3 oz. The fish I am eating for lunch weighs approximately 9 ounces. Good lean meat and source of protein

Good catch!
Enjoy the meal!

TheKansan
06-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Free food! lucky guy lol. How do you resist those wicked KC Ribs man?

It isn't easy, but my long term goal is all that really matters to me. I enjoyed fattening food for 27 years and I never enjoyed life. Its time to do the opposite.

TheKansan
06-24-2007, 07:23 AM
Good catch!
Enjoy the meal!

It was very good thank you. I love catfish, aside from crappie and trout, they are my favorite freshwater fish to catch and eat.

Today is one of those tough days. I work both jobs and will probably only get 5 hours sleep. To make matters worse tommorrow is the first day of my 9th week on Rippetoes, and I will have to work out tired after being up for 16 hours straight at work, and only sleeping 5 hours before that.

TheKansan
06-24-2007, 07:18 PM
I got off a little early from my second job today, so I came home for a brief break before I go in to wal-mart. I'm going to post another sample days eating. Here is what I ate today:

beef jerky - 150 calories 18g protein

homemade turkey wrap sandwich - 550 calories 48g protein

Protein shake - 440 calories 54g protein
-banana
-strawberries
-1 cup milk
-2 scoops body fortress chocolate whey protein
fruit punch flavored body fortress creatine powder - 150 calories

2 peanut butter sandwiches-540 calories 26g protein
-1/4 cup skippy all natural pb
- 4 slices Sara Lee light whole grain bread
orange-70 calories

1 oz honey roasted peanuts-150 calories 6g protein
body fortress whey protein in water - 110 calories 23g

1 cup brown rice (cooked)-150 calories 4g
2 cups of small shrimp-140 calories 24g protein
1 slice bread-45 calories 3g protein

Protein shake(same as above)-440 calories 54g protein

total calories = 2935
total protein = 260g

Thats 5 meals and 2 snacks.

TheKansan
06-25-2007, 08:12 AM
Just finished today's workout. I am on my 9th week of Rippetoes. I believe I am stalled on my bench presses. I haven't been able to increase the weight for a couple of weeks. On Friday, the next time I bench, I am resetting my weight back 3 weeks.

Aside from this little problem, everything is going well, I weighed in at 329.8 pounds this morning after getting home from work. Bodyspace seems to be down right now so I can't update my stats, but just thought I would post it anyway.

TheKansan
06-26-2007, 08:44 AM
I really don't have much to say today. The difference in my protein intake feels like it is making a huge difference in my strength. Then again, it could just be a mental thing. I am very close to my first goal of 300 pounds and expect to hit it before the end of the summer. As a reward I may treat myself to a 20 mile walk :)

logik9
06-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Keep up the good work your a motvation to us all.. I as you do love to walk now that Iam losing weight..

TheKansan
06-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Keep up the good work your a motvation to us all.. I as you do love to walk now that Iam losing weight..

Thats great. Walking is good exercise and easy to do, no special equipment needed. Yesterday while doing my daily walk, I was stopped a couple of times by people who told me they had seen me out walking every day and that they thought it was great. It really made me feel good that someone had noticed who didn't even know me, just how hard I have been working to reach my goals.

I looked back over my journal that I keep in my house (similar to my online journals) and I realized that I haven't missed a walking session once in the last 4 months. I have walked at least 30 minutes every day for 120+ days. To tell you the truth my own dedication surprises even me sometimes.

chrischap01
06-27-2007, 10:26 AM
I looked back over my journal that I keep in my house (similar to my online journals) and I realized that I haven't missed a walking session once in the last 4 months. I have walked at least 30 minutes every day for 120+ days. To tell you the truth my own dedication surprises even me sometimes.

That's awesome, your doing a great job man!

Finnegan Bell
06-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Just finished today's workout. I am on my 9th week of Rippetoes. I believe I am stalled on my bench presses. I haven't been able to increase the weight for a couple of weeks. On Friday, the next time I bench, I am resetting my weight back 3 weeks.

I have the same problem,I think I am lifting the same weights for the last 3 months.
Good form my friend good form,never increase the weights on the expence of making a full range motion in a perfect form,u r cutting and u stuck in a strenght plateau,completly normal...

Saint Mike
06-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Awsome Kansan...I love fresh fish.

And what's great is I get to do a lot of it down here. Man, now I wanna go fishing.

My favorites are:

Freshwater: Perch, Brim, Crappie (although here we call it sac-au-lait), catfish

Saltwater: Speckled Trout, Redfish, Flounder, Red Snapper

Reps for fresh fish!!!

Goalie_Girl
06-27-2007, 03:08 PM
I love fishing, I love it. And I love eating fish.

Keep up everything, your doing good. Good luck.

chrischap01
06-27-2007, 04:18 PM
What I miss most about living in Texas is being able to drive down to South Padre, ride a boat out into the tropical water and catch Tuna, Dolphin, Wahoo, Shark, Marlin, Snapper...

Saint Mike
06-27-2007, 04:27 PM
What I miss most about living in Texas is being able to drive down to South Padre, ride a boat out into the tropical water and catch Tuna, Dolphin, Wahoo, Shark, Marlin, Snapper...Yep..I live close to the gulf. If i want to saltwater, it's a 30 minute drive. If I want freshwater, hell, I can be there in 5.

chrischap01
06-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Yep..I live close to the gulf. If i want to saltwater, it's a 30 minute drive. If I want freshwater, hell, I can be there in 5.
The gulf up around Houston and N.O. is a totally different animal than the clear blue water 10 miles offshore in Padre. All the rigs provide great artificial reefs so the fishing is probably better overall up there numbers wise, though. But the fishing out of Padre is more like Caribbean fishing than Gulf fishing!

TheKansan
06-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Awesome all of my fellow fishermen, and fisherwomen. Reps for you all. Saint Mike, I will rep you later, have to spread some around before I rep you again. Thanks everyone.

TheKansan
06-28-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm taking new pictures for the cutting contest tommorrow. I have lost about 15 pounds since the contest began, but at my size the changes aren't nearly as visible as if I had weighed less. Anyway the fact that I lost 4 pounds in a week eating 3000 calories a day tells me my metabolism is very fast. When I get down to 300 pounds I may bump up again to 3200, then 3500 a couple of weeks after, and continue to raise the calories until I only am losing 1-2 pounds a week.

I decided to set a long term goal of being down to 15% bodyfat by Summer of 2008. If I lose 1-2 pounds a week after hitting 300 pounds, and assuming that the lbm measurement of 197 pounds is accurate, that should be easy for me to achieve. Of course the lower the caloric deficit I have, the better my gains in strength will be and the more muscle mass I will preserve.

chrischap01
06-28-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm taking new pictures for the cutting contest tommorrow. I have lost about 15 pounds since the contest began, but at my size the changes aren't nearly as visible as if I had weighed less. Anyway the fact that I lost 4 pounds in a week eating 3000 calories a day tells me my metabolism is very fast. When I get down to 300 pounds I may bump up again to 3200, then 3500 a couple of weeks after, and continue to raise the calories until I only am losing 1-2 pounds a week.

I decided to set a long term goal of being down to 15% bodyfat by Summer of 2008. If I lose 1-2 pounds a week after hitting 300 pounds, and assuming that the lbm measurement of 197 pounds is accurate, that should be easy for me to achieve. Of course the lower the caloric deficit I have, the better my gains in strength will be and the more muscle mass I will preserve.
Sounds like a good plan! I am going to stick with trying to lose as much as I can as fast as I can over the summer, then slow it back down to 1-2 pounds per week in the fall. Unless I start to see lose skin or the stretch marks don;t start disappearing, then I may go ahead and slow down before that.

TheKansan
06-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Sounds like a good plan! I am going to stick with trying to lose as much as I can as fast as I can over the summer, then slow it back down to 1-2 pounds per week in the fall. Unless I start to see lose skin or the stretch marks don;t start disappearing, then I may go ahead and slow down before that.

I have been like a weight loss bullet train for the last 6 months. I decided a while back to slow down and work on retaining my muscle at 300 pounds. My reasoning is that my goals have changed. Besides I never want to be that guy who lost a bunch of weight and now looks like a twig, then to make matters worse he gains the weight back.

nithos
06-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I have a buddy that went from 290-320 to 170-180 doing 100% cardio because he was weak so he didn't like lifting. He has this huge head and a skinny body.

chrischap01
06-28-2007, 10:05 AM
I have been like a weight loss bullet train for the last 6 months. I decided a while back to slow down and work on retaining my muscle at 300 pounds. My reasoning is that my goals have changed. Besides I never want to be that guy who lost a bunch of weight and now looks like a twig, then to make matters worse he gains the weight back.
I'd have to get hooked on meth to look like a twig.

chrischap01
06-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I have a buddy that went from 290-320 to 170-180 doing 100% cardio because he was weak so he didn't like lifting. He has this huge head and a skinny body.
I had a buddy do the same thing, and had the same result. Lots of loose skin too.

TheKansan
06-28-2007, 10:14 AM
My father was one of those people too. About 17-18 years ago he lost a bunch of weight going from around 350 pounds to about 180. He only did cardio and he lost a ton of muscle. To make matters worse he gained all the weight back. Now 17 years later he weighs the same as before.

Druluv75
06-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Dude you lost over 140lbs from Jan. WoW!!! I didn't even notice, I thought you lost a total of 30lbs, but that probadly just for the month.

TheKansan
06-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Dude you lost over 140lbs from Jan. WoW!!! I didn't even notice, I thought you lost a total of 30lbs, but that probadly just for the month.

Yeah 30 pounds was what I lost since May 1st, 2 months ago, the time the Unofficial Biggest Loser Transformation Contest began.

It is the last day of week 9 on Rippetoes for me. I reset my bench presses to get me past my plateau, I hope it helps. The workout went great, check out http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2417761 to see my progress and details on m y workouts.

Yesterday was absolutely killer for me. I slept a total of 5 hours in a 48 hour period and I worked a total of 30 hours in that same 48 hour period. I came home last night from my second job and crashed immediately, sleeping for 10 hours straight. I woke up today a little groggy, but after my morning walk I was warmed up and ready for lifting.

I thought I would go ahead and post a little update showing my progress on Rippetoes in the last 2 months. Keep in mind that all of this isn't strength gains. When I started I had very limited equipment and only 180 pounds worth of weights, so until I bought my 300 pound olympic barbell set, I was limited. Also my form on some moves improved greatly. Still you should get some idea of the gains I made.

Squats 125x3x10 > 250x3x5
Bench Presses 125x3x10 > 195x3x5
Deadlifts 140x3x10 > 285x3x5
Military presses 65x3x5 > 115x3x5
barbell rows 120x3x5 > 180x3x5

accessory exercises

barbell curls 60x2x8 > 70x2x8
db tricep extension 40x2x8 > 50x2x8

Saint Mike
06-30-2007, 12:14 AM
Whoa bro...

I hope you don't get burnt out with that work schedule. I used to work 14 hour nights when I was in college. That got old fast.

TheKansan
06-30-2007, 12:20 AM
Whoa bro...

I hope you don't get burnt out with that work schedule. I used to work 14 hour nights when I was in college. That got old fast.

From June 2005 until November 2006 I worked two full-time jobs and 80-100 hours a week. This by comparison is a walk in the park.

TheKansan
06-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Well there is no lifting today, but I did a nice long 5.5 mile 1 hour 45 minute walk today. I have to say that I usually feel better after I walk than before it. Its warms me up and gets the blood flowing which really helps, and it also wakes me up from my somewhat groggy state in the mornings on my days off.

No real progress to report today. New pictures for the cutting contest are up on my bodyspace.

TheKansan
07-01-2007, 07:28 AM
I ate a whole chicken today. Actually it was a Tyson rotisserie chicken. I ate half of it for one meal while at work, and the other half for another meal while at work. Of course I removed the skin. The whole bird had 720 calories with the skin removed (thank you tyson for listing the calorie content for the thing without the skin), and 96g of protein. It tasted pretty good too, I just wish I had side items to eat with it, oh well, I will plan better next time.

I work both jobs today, and since its Sunday the only exercising I had to do was cardio, so now I just need to get some rest.

TheKansan
07-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Its week 10 of my Starting Strength program training, and I just completed my workout for the day. I've got the details in my other journal.

I've decided to cut back on the amount of whey I am using and attempt to get more of my protein from whole foods. I figure I can eat a can of tuna and that has about the same calories and protein content as whey, yet is slower digesting, and contains EFAs.

Also I am curious about whey protein isolate. I personally know absolutely nothing about it. What I mean is if anyone has used it please tell me your results while using it and if you think it is worth the extra cost.

logik9
07-02-2007, 11:31 AM
I have been using a whey isolate protein for a while now and its just a higher quality protein It is defienatly worth the money.. Your getting a better quality of protein in your system.. I spend a little more but it is worth it..

TheKansan
07-02-2007, 06:43 PM
I have been using a whey isolate protein for a while now and its just a higher quality protein It is defienatly worth the money.. Your getting a better quality of protein in your system.. I spend a little more but it is worth it..

Thanks man. I really have been curious about it for a while now. I'm probably going to buy isolate as soon as I run out of the whey I am using now.

jayknow05
07-02-2007, 08:30 PM
IMHO plain whey protein is all the same just check the back to make sure that it is as close to 100% whey as possible no need for a protein blend or anything. Also always get chocolate cause all the other flavors suck.

TheKansan
07-03-2007, 08:03 AM
IMHO plain whey protein is all the same just check the back to make sure that it is as close to 100% whey as possible no need for a protein blend or anything. Also always get chocolate cause all the other flavors suck.

I have been using whey for a while now, and although I do prefer chocolate, vanilla isn't bad either, at least Body Fortress vanilla isn't. The thing is that plain whey is almost never as pure as you would think. Read this thread about Dymatize Elite Whey if you don't believe me http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2581861
That is why I have been looking into purchasing whey isolate.

Anyway, today is Tuesday and I have to do my mini ab workout today and that is it. I will do it later after I get some work done around the house. I already did my cardio for the day before it got hot outside.

I weighed in today for the contest and the results are in my signature. My short term goal of 300 pounds is within sight and I feel like working even harder to reach that goal before the end of the summer.

heathershubby
07-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I do find with Iso (I drink for better flavour) but also much less somach upset and poops

Druluv75
07-03-2007, 12:52 PM
The only I don't understand with Whey, is that its heated to such a high temperature. ANy thime to heat something up that high it loses some of its potency. I don't know if this is the same as whey though

rmedina8804
07-03-2007, 01:27 PM
i have to say im pretty impressed with your results! keep up the good work.. 33 pounds in 2 months! NICE!

heathershubby
07-03-2007, 02:42 PM
The only I don't understand with Whey, is that its heated to such a high temperature. ANy thime to heat something up that high it loses some of its potency. I don't know if this is the same as whey though

And they say no. It changes the melecular structure but not the amino counts or potency.

The example given was cooked eggs and chicken breast ect same effectivness in the protien.

I am trying to find the link but it was a long time ago I read it if I find I will post here.

TheKansan
07-04-2007, 08:27 AM
i have to say im pretty impressed with your results! keep up the good work.. 33 pounds in 2 months! NICE!

Thanks man.

Thanks everyone else for the heads up on whey isolate.

Today is a holiday here in the US, but I take no holidays from my new lifestyle. I am absolutely determined to reach my goal. I have already completed my workout for the day and I am continuing as normal. I hope no one else goes too far overboard. Have a good holiday.

chrischap01
07-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Thanks man.

Today is a holiday here in the US, but I take no holidays from my new lifestyle. I am absolutely determined to reach my goal. I have already completed my workout for the day and I am continuing as normal. I hope no one else goes too far overboard. Have a good holiday.
I am with you man. About to head out for a holiday run (but it will probably turn into a walk at some point).

logik9
07-04-2007, 09:14 AM
keep up the good work man. Ya I'm stuck at work till 6pm tonight, On my lunch break I'm going to call for a nice Walk, We have a nice trail behind my job. So I should get an Hour in of walking today..

heathershubby
07-04-2007, 10:48 AM
I wish I could rep ya for such determination but I have to wait and spread some around you know the drill :)

rmedina8804
07-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks man.

great determination! im on the same mindset as you.. will power! today is like any other workout day for me but with a little fireworks to help celebrate our independence... keep up the good work!

TheKansan
07-05-2007, 11:39 AM
I was tempted at every turn yesterday. Talk about a test of will power. I was thinking it was going to be easy because I had to work both jobs and 14 hours yesterday. I was wrong about that. At the Pizza Hut Call Center we had a 4th of July barbeque, with all the chips, soda, burgers, pie, and cake you could eat. I refrained from joining in and ate the sack lunch which I brought with me which consisted of 2 all natural pb sandwiches on whole grain bread, and an orange. Not exactly holiday food or anything, but not being hungry made it much easier for me to resist temptation.

I got to wal-mart thinking I was in the clear, I was wrong, wal-mart had lots of cookies and soda for all the people who worked on the holiday. I watched as some people ate as many as 10 cookies, and washed it down with mountain dew. People kept offering me cookies, knowing that I had lost a significant amount of weight recently and saying things like "One cookie won't hurt you." I replied simply, "Yes it will."

Hotmoltenlava
07-05-2007, 11:45 AM
People kept offering me cookies, knowing that I had lost a significant amount of weight recently and saying things like "One cookie won't hurt you." I replied simply, "Yes it will."

Great job, man. It feels great when you actually start seeing significant progress. For me, it just made me work harder. Now that you know you can do it, it becomes much easier. The mental part of losing weight is harder than the physical, I believe. Keep it up!

Have a good one.

TheKansan
07-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Great job, man. It feels great when you actually start seeing significant progress. For me, it just made me work harder. Now that you know you can do it, it becomes much easier. The mental part of losing weight is harder than the physical, I believe. Keep it up!

Have a good one.

I still owe you reps man, but I still haven't spread enough around. I will get you eventually.

Hotmoltenlava
07-05-2007, 11:59 AM
I still owe you reps man, but I still haven't spread enough around. I will get you eventually.

I'm not here for the reps, man. Don't sweat it.

Have a good one.

chrischap01
07-05-2007, 12:00 PM
It's OK, I gave him some earlier even though he threatened to neg me.

TheKansan
07-05-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm not here for the reps, man. Don't sweat it.

Have a good one.

Just looking, I notice someone repped you big time, maybe you don't need my reps at all.....:D

Hotmoltenlava
07-05-2007, 12:06 PM
It's OK, I gave him some earlier even though he threatened to neg me.

........<ummmmm, side note.......for those that didn't see the conversation, I was only kidding>............

:D

Hotmoltenlava
07-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Just looking, I notice someone repped you big time, maybe you don't need my reps at all.....:D

Hehehehe.......I was recently blessed with big reppage. That also means that my reps count more, too. I share the wealth......:D

Have a good one.

cawiau
07-05-2007, 12:18 PM
That is some strong willpower.
Not sure I could have resisted.
Keep up the good work

TheKansan
07-05-2007, 12:24 PM
That is some strong willpower.
Not sure I could have resisted.
Keep up the good work

I wasn't sure I could resist either.

cawiau
07-05-2007, 12:43 PM
I wasn't sure I could resist either.

You survived it.
Good work

skuZZitude
07-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Good job getting past July 4th bro. You are always inspiring me.... keep it up! Front page of bodybuilding.com will be featuring you one day man

TheKansan
07-06-2007, 08:23 AM
You survived it.
Good work

Good job getting past July 4th bro. You are always inspiring me.... keep it up! Front page of bodybuilding.com will be featuring you one day man

Thanks guys. I don't know about the front page, but I would like to be the transformation of the week when I get closer to being finished.

Its the last day of my 10th week of Rippetoes Starting Strength training. The biggest thing that I believe has helped me in this program is consistency. I never missed a workout so far, and I always push as hard as I possibly can, following the directions to the best of my abilities. This has made all the difference and explains why I have seen such good gains.

My eating and diet has been going well except for one thing. I had been tring to get 5-6 servings of fruits and vegetables a day for better overall health, but lately I have struggled to get 3 servings in a day. Also I believe my weight loss is still going too quickly. I am considering increasing my calories by another 200 up to 3200 calories a day. I should still see fat loss at that level, just slower, which is what I want to help maintain muscle mass.

I want to have my diet and workout plan about perfect for fat loss when I reach the 300 pound mark.

Hotmoltenlava
07-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys. I don't know about the front page, but I would like to be the transformation of the week when I get closer to being finished.

I hope to do the same thing. I want to be the guy who went from 35%bf to 10%bf in a years time. I have until December to do it. Keep kicking ass. I think of everyone here, you are making the most consistent progress. You deserve it, with all the work you are doing. Keep it up.

*I'd rep you, but I have "to spread some more around"*

Have a good one.

TheKansan
07-06-2007, 12:27 PM
I hope to do the same thing. I want to be the guy who went from 35%bf to 10%bf in a years time. I have until December to do it. Keep kicking ass. I think of everyone here, you are making the most consistent progress. You deserve it, with all the work you are doing. Keep it up.

*I'd rep you, but I have "to spread some more around"*

Have a good one.

By december you will have surpassed your goal. The best thing about this is seeing the changes in yourself.

cawiau
07-06-2007, 12:42 PM

Same here :)
Just keep it up , you are doing an incredible job so far!

TheKansan
07-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Same here :)
Just keep it up , you are doing an incredible job so far!

Thanks man.

Today is my best friend's wedding, and I get to be his best man. Even though the wedding will have lots of good food, I will refrain from eating anything except a small slice of wedding cake. Like I have said before no setback is acceptable. Everyone pretty much understands why I have to be this way since they all know how large I was, so no one criticizes my decisions.

TheKansan
07-08-2007, 07:15 AM
My friend's wedding went well yesterday. I was going to just eat cake, but decided to eat an entire meal. I was able to fit the entire meal into my calories for the day and had a good time.

I ate and drank:

-About 5-6 ounces of ham
-a dinner roll, no butter
-broccolli
-small serving baked beans
-water
-1 glass of champagne
-1 slice of wedding cake

Believe me when I say I had to be very conservative because the selection of greasy calorie-heavy food was abundant. I did not get seconds.

Like I have said before, I am strong in my resolve. At this point I think I would even have a hard time cheating while on vacation. The wedding cake is the only thing I couldn't really estimate the calories on easily.

Today is a cardio only day, and I have to work both jobs later, so I will not get much rest. The good news is that tommorrow begins my 11th week on Rippetoes, and I am set to smash some PR's.

Saint Mike
07-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Great self control.

PS - The new avatar looks good!

TheKansan
07-08-2007, 07:37 AM
Great self control.

PS - The new avatar looks good!

Thanks man, I like wearing suits, and honestly this is the first one I have had since I was a kid. At 475 pounds I could never find the jackets that would fit around my huge frame. Even after losing a lot of weight, my shoulders and frame are still very wide.

chrischap01
07-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks man, I like wearing suits

It's hard out there for a pimp! ;)

Lookin' good man! I can't wait to get a new suit or two. I am holding out until I can roll into a regular store and pick out whatever I want and know they will have my size.

I hope to never have to see the purple, orange, and baby blue George Foreman brand suits at the big & tall store ever again...

cawiau
07-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Damn bro....Looking hot in those suit!!!!
mmmmmmm......it's the Kansan in between us :)

Great show of self-control and dedication.
I can't wait to be like you :)

logik9
07-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Good job, Keep up the good work and that great will power that you have..

TheKansan
07-09-2007, 04:22 PM
It's hard out there for a pimp! ;)

Lookin' good man! I can't wait to get a new suit or two. I am holding out until I can roll into a regular store and pick out whatever I want and know they will have my size.

I hope to never have to see the purple, orange, and baby blue George Foreman brand suits at the big & tall store ever again...

Damn bro....Looking hot in those suit!!!!
mmmmmmm......it's the Kansan in between us :)

Great show of self-control and dedication.
I can't wait to be like you :)

Thanks guys. By the way cawiau, you are already more determined than me. I could never do the velocity diet thing, I would lose my mind after one day.

Good job, Keep up the good work and that great will power that you have..

Thanks man.

I had a rough day yesterday/today. I didn't sleep enough, I had to work too much, I barely got my calories and protein intake for the day, I forgot to take my second multivitamin, I was almost late for work and my boss chewed me out at wal-mart for working slow. My only response was that I was tired. So this morning when I came home, rather than do my workout as usual, I went ahead did my morning walk, then immediately showered and hopped in bed. After 8 hours of sleep, I woke up ready for my lifting, and I was able to set a new PR on zercher squats and added 5 pounds to all my lifts with no problems.

logik9
07-10-2007, 07:21 AM
I know its a killer when you dont get enough sleep. I as well as you work two jobs, and I also have three kids one that things she should be up at 3am having a party instead of sleeping.. She is only One so hopefully she will be out of that soon:).. Just stay motivated and keep up the good work

TheKansan
07-10-2007, 07:46 AM
I know its a killer when you dont get enough sleep. I as well as you work two jobs, and I also have three kids one that things she should be up at 3am having a party instead of sleeping.. She is only One so hopefully she will be out of that soon:).. Just stay motivated and keep up the good work

I thought I had it tough, I don't know if I could sleep at all if I had three kids too. Good luck to you, you need it :D

Today is my ab workout day, and as usual I just don't feel like doing it. I know I need more core strength, but I still have a little bit of my old lazy self inside that tells me to just lay around and do nothing all day. I can't let that side of my personality control me anymore.

chrischap01
07-10-2007, 08:31 AM
I had a rough day yesterday/today. I didn't sleep enough, I had to work too much, I barely got my calories and protein intake for the day, I forgot to take my second multivitamin, I was almost late for work and my boss chewed me out at wal-mart for working slow. My only response was that I was tired. So this morning when I came home, rather than do my workout as usual, I went ahead did my morning walk, then immediately showered and hopped in bed. After 8 hours of sleep, I woke up ready for my lifting, and I was able to set a new PR on zercher squats and added 5 pounds to all my lifts with no problems.

Sorry to hear about the rough day, but keep your chin up! It happens to the best of us. Congrats on the PR, that's awesome!