PDA

View Full Version : Quick Questions on History

Ruthless4Life
04-19-2004, 06:38 PM
I have a history test tomorrow, but there are a few things I have to sort out.

1. West Bank - "officially" Jordanian territory? Or is it part of "Palestine?" Or what the hell is it supposed to be? On a map I found, it saids "West Bank of Jordan," so I assume it's part of Jordan, but is it occupied by Israel?

2. Gaza strip - "officially" part of Egypt, or what? Is it occupied by Israel?

3. Golan Heights - is it "officially" Syrian territory but occupied by Israel, or what?

And by "official," I mean by Western or American standards.

Thanks.

Ruthless4Life
04-19-2004, 09:06 PM
BUMP Please help!

FatFat Bastard
04-19-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Ruthless4Life

1. West Bank - "officially" Jordanian territory? Or is it part of "Palestine?" Or what the hell is it supposed to be? On a map I found, it saids "West Bank of Jordan," so I assume it's part of Jordan, but is it occupied by Israel?

yes it was a part of Jordan

3. Golan Heights - is it "officially" Syrian territory but occupied by Israel, or what?

Golan hights are Syrian

Thanks.

enjoyincubus
04-19-2004, 09:17 PM
israel captured this land from egypt during the six day war i believe. i think its officially part of israel now.

pogue
04-19-2004, 11:22 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel

Canadian Nanook
04-20-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Ruthless4Life

Thanks.
For 1, The west bank in Israeli land owned by Israel. during one of the wars, I think it was yom Kippur, Israel captured it from Jordan along with the golan heights and therefore they belong to Israel. I can never remember whether it was during the six day war or Yom kippur, they also captured the Sinai but returned that to Egypt in exchange for peace. The west bank is in relation to the Jordan river, it's on the west bank of the Jordan river. Jordan does not want the palestinians in Jordan so they have not asked for the West bank returned. The Golan heights are a disputed territory because Israel is debating whether or not to return it to Syria in exchange for peace. Sinai there was no danger because it will take egypt 2 days to cross the sinai if it ever does go to war with Israel. In the Golan, it will only take syria 12 hours to cross the golan heights

Jcfreak_02
04-20-2004, 11:24 PM
I thought all of that land was land captured during the six days war, then for some reason since the Palestinians lived there they claimed it... I don't know how that works, last time I checked to the spoils goes the victor, especially when the victor takes land from a defenisve military position...