PDA

View Full Version : Way to go Spain!

Reborn79
04-17-2004, 05:22 PM
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=4838845

All I have to say is, it's a step in the right direction. Now if only we could focus on the REAL issues in our own country (as opposed to amending the constitution to 'protect marriage'), maybe we could learn a thing or two.

JigaroKagan
04-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Reborn79
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=4838845

All I have to say is, it's a step in the right direction. Now if only we could focus on the REAL issues in our own country (as opposed to amending the constitution to 'protect marriage'), maybe we could learn a thing or two.

Are there any benefits conferred onto couples that are married? This will tie into this if it's a yes.

dixon
04-17-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by JigaroKagan
Are there any benefits conferred onto couples that are married? This will tie into this if it's a yes. Yes the married couples there recieve tax benefits. The tax benefits around married couples are based largely around how they are stable people with long term jobs, etc, making gay couples no different in monetary worth.

JigaroKagan
04-17-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by dixon
Yes the married couples there recieve tax benefits. The tax benefits around married couples are based largely around how they are stable people with long term jobs, etc, making gay couples no different in monetary worth.

And thus that's the reason behind people not supporting gay marriage. Why should their taxes be expended on something they don't support? I can certainly understand where they're coming from.

I'm for gay marriage in case you're wondering.

Reborn79
04-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by JigaroKagan
And thus that's the reason behind people not supporting gay marriage. Why should their taxes be expended on something they don't support? I can certainly understand where they're coming from.

I'm for gay marriage in case you're wondering.

Well, I don't support all this bull**** coming from the administration concerning 'Faith based initiatives'...but I digress. I think it is an issue of equality rather than 'opinion'...I'm sure there were many people out there who didn't support interracial marriage, yet it still became protected under law.