PDA

View Full Version : Olympics (yes it's Political shut up and read)

Kane Fan
04-13-2004, 02:21 PM
should dictatorships be peremited to field olympic teams
I'd say no
because of the fact that it is very well known what happens to people that return to dictatorships that didn't win
I'd say type of goverment and existance of human rights violations should be lookd at before a country is just permited to field olympic competitors
I've always wondered why this isn't the case

SteakNPotatoes
04-13-2004, 02:40 PM
Dictators should be allowed to have olympic teams, heck Hitler hosted the Olympics and look at what a nice guy he turned out to be.

Ruthless4Life
04-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Only if the USSR was banned from the Olympics, Canada would have won so many more Gold medals in hockey...

Jimineye
04-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Ruthless4Life
Only if the USSR was banned from the Olympics, Canada would have won so many more Gold medals in hockey...

Not in 1980. :D :D MUAHAHAHHA

CerealKiller
04-13-2004, 03:19 PM
The Olympics in its purest form is supposed to be a place that all nations and peoples are welcome among their fiercest enemies.

Even in Ancient Greece, the ultimate enemies of Athens and Sparta competed together in a spirit of peaceful competition.

Involving politics and personal animosities in the Games violates their ultimate purpose.

Jcfreak_02
04-13-2004, 11:37 PM
I think Dictatorships should be allowed to enter the competition. If the competitors thought they would be killed for loosing I wouldn't compete. I think the Olympics is the closest form of competition in its purest form.

Spastic
04-14-2004, 05:36 AM
Why the hell not?? If they don't win, they travel elsewhere and take up citizenship in a foreign country, like Tatiana Grigorieva and her husband supposedly ran from the Russian Mafia to Australia, or those Zimbabwean cricketers now living in Australia.

BuckWyld
04-14-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Kane Fan

because of the fact that it is very well known what happens to people that return to dictatorships that didn't win

well known by who? I have never seen anything like this, can you post a link?

CITADEL
04-14-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by BuckWyld

Bump, I would like to see some examples of this.

By the way, I CAN'T wait until this years Olympics.

BuckWyld
04-14-2004, 09:26 AM
I am going to be there :), we have our plane tickets, a place to stay and tickets to a bunch of events.

CITADEL
04-14-2004, 07:20 PM
I am going to be there :), we have our plane tickets, a place to stay and tickets to a bunch of events.

Cool man, this is the first time I've really been into it. In years past I havn't realized what I was actually seeing, and how amazing all of the athletes are. Now that I've ran track and cross country I am just dying to watch these Olympics to see some incredible runners.

Bump about athletes being killed. Can anyone bring up some examples?

Person
04-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Saddam Hussein is a perfect example of a dictator going crazy because people don't win at the Olympics. Look around for some stories about what he and his sons did--I heard enough about it on 60 Minutes and other news networks.

CerealKiller
04-14-2004, 07:29 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/news/2003/03/24/son_of_saddam/

Kane Fan
04-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by CerealKiller
The Olympics in its purest form is supposed to be a place that all nations and peoples are welcome among their fiercest enemies.

Even in Ancient Greece, the ultimate enemies of Athens and Sparta competed together in a spirit of peaceful competition.

Involving politics and personal animosities in the Games violates their ultimate purpose.

everyne seems to be missing the point
it's NOT pure because if you go up for Iran or Iraq and fail, when you get back you get hurt
you suffer
you are tortured etc
thjat's not cool
and THAT'S why they shouldn't be able to compete
I'm not sure how anyone can dissagree with this

Kane Fan
04-15-2004, 08:37 PM

the ones from recent memory would be Iraqi former athletes talking about what Saddam's kid personally torchering them for failing
I did not read this on a website so I have no link currently
I just assumed everyone knew...
you do know dictators are often cruel and hurt people for failing in general right?

EAE
04-15-2004, 09:11 PM
it's NOT pure because if you go up for Iran or Iraq and fail, when you get back you get hurt
you suffer
you are tortured etc

Did you put Iran up there because you've actually read that their athletes get tortured or just because it's not a free country?

Al_Bundy
04-15-2004, 10:43 PM

you do know dictators are often cruel and hurt people for failing in general right?

Thats a nice generalisation right there. They hurt people in general, meaning they hurt all their athletes when they fail - ergo, they cannot compete at the Olympics. Nice. Lets just keep them in domestic competition at home, where they would get their asses kicked anyway.

CerealKiller
04-15-2004, 11:17 PM
you suffer
you are tortured etc
thjat's not cool
and THAT'S why they shouldn't be able to compete
I'm not sure how anyone can dissagree with this

The key to the question is who has the right to exclude. Who draws the line between a dictatorship and a non-dictatorship.
So far it is the IOC.

The IOC is an international non-governmental non-profit organization and the creator of the Olympic Movement. The IOC exists to serve as an umbrella organization of the Olympic Movement. It owns all rights to the Olympic symbols, flag, motto, anthem and Olympic Games.

According to the IOC chart, the Olympic movement opposes any political abuse of athletes.

As a side note I did some research for you and found the following countries had been excluded from the Olympics at one time or other.

South Africa was excluded from 1960 to 1988.
Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) was excluded from 1960 to 1980.
In 1920, Austria, Bulgaria, Germany, Hungary and Turkey were barred from competition because of their role in World War I.
In the post-World War II Games of 1948, staged in London, Germany and Japan were both excluded.

honeybbqgrundle
04-16-2004, 12:59 PM
The Olympics are stupid. I really want to see a guy throw a ****in disc really far:rolleyes:

Kane Fan
04-28-2004, 09:34 AM
I can't believe people thing a country with vast human rights violations should be alowed to field olympic athletes and then actually assume that if they fail they will be welcomed back with no hard feelings
it's amazing to me
I can't believe how nieve so many of you are

CerealKiller
04-28-2004, 09:49 AM
Nieve ROFL :D

You just called us snow in Spanish. I knew you were good for something. :D