PDA

View Full Version : Should the Crips Founder Escape the Death Penalty

JigaroKagan
04-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Stanley "Tookie" Williams was one of the founders of the most notorious gang in the world, the Crips. He was charged with four counts of murder, I believe. In the tenure of his prison life, he has transformed from a cold-hearted monster to that of a neo-Gandhi. Currently, he's a nominee for the Nobel peace prize because of his nine books which encourage children to not be swayed by the life of a thug. Not only this, but he is responsible for multiple anticrime programs. The only problem with this is the fact that he's currently on death row.

Are you in favor of the death penalty in this situation or do you ascribe to the fact that if good is being achieved with him being kept alive, why execute him?

Personally, I believe his sentence should be commuted.

Ak47
04-12-2004, 03:02 PM
A really good book about one of Williams' friends and co-founders is called Monster: The Autobiography of an L.A. Gang Member. The same change happened to him in prison.

JigaroKagan
04-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

15u
04-12-2004, 03:05 PM
i would agree with letting him off death row, if he has truly changed.

mariners216
04-12-2004, 03:10 PM
I believe Jamie Fox played him in a tv-movie on fx about this topic?

btw I don't think he should be killed

JigaroKagan
04-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by mariners216
I believe Jamie Fox played him in a tv-movie on fx about this topic?

btw I don't think he should be killed

Aye, it premiered last night.

Not So Big
04-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by JigaroKagan
Aye, it premiered last night. when is it going to be on again? i want to see that movie

JigaroKagan
04-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Not So Big
when is it going to be on again? i want to see that movie

Sunday Arpril 18th 05:00 pm e/p on FX.

irpker
04-12-2004, 03:16 PM
I'd change into a good guy too if the state was going to kill me.

Not So Big
04-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Sunday Arpril 18th 05:00 pm e/p on FX. that sucks it should be on tonite

SteakNPotatoes
04-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Even if he can change from a murderer to a "neo-ghandi", his victims cannot change from dead to alive.

JigaroKagan
04-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by SteakNPotatoes
Even if he can change from a murderer to a "neo-ghandi", his victims cannot change from dead to alive.

Though if his actions can prevent a child from straying to a life of crime, should he not be able to live?

pogue
04-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Don't kill your fellow man, let the government do that.

Jimineye
04-12-2004, 04:06 PM
You do the crime you do the time, or in this case the price.

That's great of him and all for promoting peace now, but him promoting peace won't bring back the people he killed.

JigaroKagan
04-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Jimineye

That's great of him and all for promoting peace now, but him promoting peace won't bring back the people he killed.

Yet him promoting peace could save countless lives from the same fate that he dealt out. An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.

Jcfreak_02
04-12-2004, 04:36 PM
As much as he has changed I do not think he should be let free. He was convicted of murdering 4 people, and that sentence should stay. Irreguardless of how remorseful or changed he is, he should still endure the punishment of his crimes. I do not think he should be executed, but I think it is the wrong message that criminals will only be punished as long as they are criminals. What could possibly ensue? Nothing negative by releasing this this man, but short of a presidential pardon, I do not think he should be released. To me it is about following the law, if the proper people within the law want to set him free, which I do think he deserves, I would support that. Doing the right thing is not always doing what one man deserves... for his crimes he deserves to die, for his contrinutions he deserves to be honored. Where do we find the middle ground?

Heavily Armed
04-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Such a man can be forgiven. Sounds like a good guy. But the penalty for his crimes remain. He is still responsible.

Crimson-Model
04-12-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Jimineye

The law also says not to feed the homeless...
http://www.fsunews.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/04/08/4074a9595e3f5
(sry for going off in a tangent...i was giving my view).

I think he should be allowed to live.

So we face the dilemma of whether this man should be killed for murdering 4 people...or should we praise him for saving countless others by telling them not to make the same mistake.

BuckWyld
04-12-2004, 04:58 PM
I do not believe in the death penalty not because I am against putting criminals to death, but because I believe the criminal justice system in this country is too flawed to be trusted with peoples' lives

supergarr
04-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Yet him promoting peace could save countless lives from the same fate that he dealt out. An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.

if our own education system can't do this, what makes you think a thugs book will?

JigaroKagan
04-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by supergarr
if our own education system can't do this, what makes you think a thugs book will?

Because he has done it. Why else would he be a Nobel nominee? I can say I'm Jesus and that I'm going to bring peace to the world, but I'm not getting jack **** until I deliver, am I?

In the beginning of this whole revelation, he touched the lives of many gang members that were under the care of an institution that his friend hosts. These gang members were bloods and crips. As you already know, bloods and crips loathe each other. In the end, he touched them enough for them to cease their ways and to embrace each other and this type of behavior is happening throughout the world because of him.