PDA

View Full Version : Does God answer prayers?

See All
04-12-2004, 11:40 AM

2Skinny
04-12-2004, 11:43 AM
hahah Does God answer prayers... DOT

you wrote this?

heres a better question:

Does See All actually think he will get a real response to this thread?

Poor Excuse
04-12-2004, 11:43 AM
yes.. if you really believe

god is good

BigBoogie
04-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Keep this crap in the religion forum.

Fundamentals
04-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Heh. let me tell you something that happend today to me....

let me start from a little while back. I used to be a bad boy then got into church and was really into religion, then i stopped for a while because i think i havent really gotten to know myself and my life well enough to dedicate all my life to religion. So i stopped going to church and all that for a while. Anyways i've been kinda bad and last night i prayed for my great-grandmother and i asked God to help her and not let anything bad happen to her. So yea i wake up today and i was eating with my family and my mother tells my sister and I that my great-grandmother is feeling better now and that she's talking more. I felt so great and this really shows that God exists. No it's not a coincidence. I'm going to keep on praying for my great-grandmother and loved ones and the people out there that need the help of God in their life.

So to answer you, yes God will answer your prayers.

Tryco Slatterus
04-12-2004, 11:56 AM
I don't think so....

Im not a religious person...

But I asked god for something...And well,,,

This tuesday I will know if he answers them or not.

See...I made a promise I would spread the word of god if he answered my prayer..And if he did not..Well Id just keep on not beleiving.

I mean...he made the world in 7 days...He should have the power to answer prayers.

Fundamentals
04-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by BigBoogie
Keep this crap in the religion forum.

LoL.... why dont u stop replying pointless threads and let MODS take care of this. your reply was useless.

Poor Excuse
04-12-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Tryco Slatterus
I don't think so....

See...I made a promise I would spread the word of god if he answered my prayer..And if he did not..Well Id just keep on not beleiving.

I mean...he made the world in 7 days...He should have the power to answer prayers.

this is ignorant.. you randomly ask for a prayer to be answered.. and if it isnt youre gonna stop believing? you dont deserve to have your prayer answered

dnth8daplaya
04-12-2004, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fundamentals
LoL.... why dont u stop replying pointless threads and let MODS take care of this. your reply was useless. [/QUO

hahahah damn, I know..just got mad for no reason...funny, ay I think you need to pray for him dawg.

Viking22
04-12-2004, 12:05 PM
God saves souls.....and redeems them later for valuable cash and prizes.

Dorian
04-12-2004, 12:34 PM
NO... for starters, prove to me the existence of an all powerful God. Secondly, prove to me that you are not convincing yourself to follow through to make things happen as asked.
If an answer comes it will be because you have planted into your head the outcome. ie; god will answer my prayer, so I will make enough money to pay the rent next week. as you go out looking for ways to earn more money and find it. This is not god, this is you.

Tryco Slatterus
04-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Dorian
NO... for starters, prove to me the existence of an all powerful God. Secondly, prove to me that you are not convincing yourself to follow through to make things happen as asked.
If an answer comes it will be because you have planted into your head the outcome. ie; god will answer my prayer, so I will make enough money to pay the rent next week. as you go out looking for ways to earn more money and find it. This is not god, this is you.

Ehhhh

Reborn79
04-12-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by See All

Yep, he does... and I have the proof:

http://www.theonion.com/onion3622/god_answers_prayers.html

JonZ
04-12-2004, 01:17 PM
Lets find out.

God,Since Rebbecca Romijn has finally left her dorky husband please please please let me have her.

You humble servant
Jon

AMEN

I'll let u know what happens

AnotherScorpion
04-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Goerge Carlin on Prayer:

...But people do pray, and they pray for a lot of different things, you know, your sister needs an operation on her crotch, your brother was arrested for defecating in a mall. But most of all, you'd really like to **** that hot little redhead down at the convenience store. You know, the one with the eyepatch and the clubfoot? Can you pray for that? I think you'd have to. And I say, fine. Pray for anything you want. Pray for anything, but what about the Divine Plan?

Remember that? The Divine Plan. Long time ago, God made a Divine Plan. Gave it a lot of thought, decided it was a good plan, put it into practice. And for billions and billions of years, the Divine Plan has been doing just fine. Now, you come along, and pray for something. Well suppose the thing you want isn't in God's Divine Plan? What do you want Him to do? Change His plan? Just for you? Doesn't it seem a little arrogant? It's a Divine Plan. What's the use of being God if every run-down shmuck with a two-dollar prayerbook can come along and **** up Your Plan?

And here's something else, another problem you might have: Suppose your prayers aren't answered. What do you say? "Well, it's God's will." "Thy Will Be Done." Fine, but if it's God's will, and He's going to do what He wants to anyway, why the **** bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me! Couldn't you just skip the praying part and go right to His Will? It's all very confusing.

So to get around a lot of this, I decided to worship the sun. But, as I said, I don't pray to the sun. You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. Two reasons: First of all, I think he's a good actor, okay? To me, that counts. Second, he looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't **** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that God was having trouble with.

For years I asked God to do something about my noisy neighbor with the barking dog, Joe Pesci straightened that cocksucker out with one visit. It's amazing what you can accomplish with a simple baseball bat.

So I've been praying to Joe for about a year now. And I noticed something. I noticed that all the prayers I used to offer to God, and all the prayers I now offer to Joe Pesci, are being answered at about the same 50% rate. Half the time I get what I want, half the time I don't. Same as God, 50-50. Same as the four-leaf clover and the horseshoe, the wishing well and the rabbit's foot, same as the Mojo Man, same as the Voodoo Lady who tells you your fortune by squeezing the goat's testicles, it's all the same: 50-50. So just pick your superstition, sit back, make a wish, and enjoy yourself.

mariners216
04-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by See All
No.

/thread.

JonZ
04-12-2004, 01:55 PM
LOL @ anotherscorpion

CITADEL
04-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Does God answer prayers? Go to a childrens hospital and ask yourself that. You should find your answer very quickly.

Heavily Armed
04-12-2004, 05:51 PM
The prayer of a righteous man availeth much. Conversely, the prayer of an unrighteous man doesn't count for much, unless that prayer is one of repentence.

bts327
04-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by AnotherScorpion
You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. Two reasons: First of all, I think he's a good actor, okay? To me, that counts. Second, he looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't **** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that God was having trouble with.

:D...good stuff here.

beinskinnysucks
04-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by CITADEL
Does God answer prayers? Go to a childrens hospital and ask yourself that. You should find your answer very quickly.

I was in one of those about a year from may. I was getting ready for a very rare tracheal surgury, that this doctor only performed about 2 dozen times in is 30 years as a doctor. Well the 2 places told me that i would need it. So i get referred to Chicago, and i have a bronscopy. They said it looks good enough to be normal on it.

Now tell me that was with out any help from God. I mean Mayo Clinic even thought i needed it.

mariners216
04-12-2004, 06:50 PM
That was without any help from god.

CITADEL
04-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by beinskinnysucks
I was in one of those about a year from may. I was getting ready for a very rare tracheal surgury, that this doctor only performed about 2 dozen times in is 30 years as a doctor. Well the 2 places told me that i would need it. So i get referred to Chicago, and i have a bronscopy. They said it looks good enough to be normal on it.

Now tell me that was with out any help from God. I mean Mayo Clinic even thought i needed it.

Ok I don't have any idea what you just said, but I'm sure there's a scientific explanation for it. Maybe you didn't notice while you were in the hospital but not everyone is as lucky as yourself. Even if you were saved by "God", I don't exactly care for a god who picks one person over another, when they are both innocent children.

beinskinnysucks
04-12-2004, 07:30 PM
A: My pulmonoglist said my trachea was narrowed again

B: The Mayo Clinic said i needed a rare trachea surgury

C: In Chicago they stuck a tube down my throat and said it looked fine.

D: The mayo clinic is the best in the world, so something must of happen. People in my congregation were praying, i was praying and my whole family was praying.

FatFat Bastard
04-12-2004, 07:46 PM
yes
no quistion
in my mind

The Kurgan
04-13-2004, 03:44 AM
Logically no.

If god is infallible, then if people shouldn't need to pray for things.

If god does answer prayers, that means he's changing the entire fabric of the universe JUST because someone who believes in him sincerly wants a favour.

If you want to get into heaven, you have to live your life really well (not strictly true in Christianity, but let's just say you have to believe in something without scientific evidence). That's a big favour god is asking for a big favour in return. Therfore to get a prayer answered, you should have to make a sacrifice. The ancient pagans knew this, and gave sacrifices to their gods. The gods fufilled these unless it didn't fit in with the plan, just like god. Why should the gods suddenly go soft and just ask for "Sincere belief" when they can get some tasty snacks, like the burnt offerings in old Judaism?

ironhead31
04-13-2004, 06:02 AM
There just happens to be a real popular book out,and it's called the Bible. It is the BEST selling book of all times! Read it and you might learn something. Peace

The Kurgan
04-13-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by ironhead31
There just happens to be a real popular book out,and it's called the Bible. It is the BEST selling book of all times! Read it and you might learn something. Peace

It's quite a gruesome read. It took me a whole bloody summer a couple of years back to read it from end to end. It defied a lot of historical fiction conventions (long time span, no consistant main character) but having studied Greek and Norse mythology to death, it was quite good to get a breath of fresh air with some Hebrew mythology.

Not for those who don't like long tracts about genealogy, legal theory, morality and lots of senseless slaughter and ruthless vengeance, but since reading it I've understood things like the Crusades, the Holocaust and Suicide Parenthood a lot better.

Heavily Armed
04-13-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by The Kurgan
It's quite a gruesome read. It took me a whole bloody summer a couple of years back to read it from end to end. It defied a lot of historical fiction conventions (long time span, no consistant main character) but having studied Greek and Norse mythology to death, it was quite good to get a breath of fresh air with some Hebrew mythology.

Not for those who don't like long tracts about genealogy, legal theory, morality and lots of senseless slaughter and ruthless vengeance, but since reading it I've understood things like the Crusades, the Holocaust and Suicide Parenthood a lot better.

Ruthless vengeance. Those who get it, deserve it. The worst is yet to come.

The Kurgan
04-14-2004, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Heavily Armed
Ruthless vengeance. Those who get it, deserve it. The worst is yet to come.

Kind of like Athene and Tiresias?

Heavily Armed
04-14-2004, 08:17 AM
Kind of like Athene and Tiresias?

Nah, much worse than the soap operas of Greek mythology.

The Kurgan
04-14-2004, 11:32 AM
More like an extreme version of the ultra-violance action films of Judaic mythology?

Heavily Armed
04-14-2004, 12:11 PM
More like an extreme version of the ultra-violance action films of Judaic mythology?

Extreme version of ultra-violent Judaic history, yes.

Bowhntr
04-14-2004, 05:01 PM
The answer is 100% most deffinately....YES. However, the Bible clearly states that God will only hear the sinners prayer FIRST. After that all things are possible through God. Look at it this way. You are in Wal-Mart and some kid you have never seen before comes and asks you to get he/she that nice toy. Of course you would just ignore them or might ask where are your parents. Now if it was your own kid you would give them your full attention and at least give the idea a second thought. God is much the same. If you have not prayed the sinners prayer and are not saved then God does not know you. After the sinners prayer you are counted as a brother of Christ through adoption. Therefore a child of God. Just think what you would try to do for your own kids.

Heavily Armed
04-14-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Bowhntr
The answer is 100% most deffinately....YES. However, the Bible clearly states that God will only hear the sinners prayer FIRST. After that all things are possible through God. Look at it this way. You are in Wal-Mart and some kid you have never seen before comes and asks you to get he/she that nice toy. Of course you would just ignore them or might ask where are your parents. Now if it was your own kid you would give them your full attention and at least give the idea a second thought. God is much the same. If you have not prayed the sinners prayer and are not saved then God does not know you. After the sinners prayer you are counted as a brother of Christ through adoption. Therefore a child of God. Just think what you would try to do for your own kids.

Nicely said.

bts327
04-14-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Bowhntr
Look at it this way. You are in Wal-Mart and some kid you have never seen before comes and asks you to get he/she that nice toy. Of course you would just ignore them or might ask where are your parents. Now if it was your own kid you would give them your full attention and at least give the idea a second thought. God is much the same.

So your saying that god is a materialist?

What are you going to do if you really love your child? Spoil him rotten? What would that teach him? Thats just setting him up for disappointment and disaster later in life. Perhaps the most loving and hardest thing to do sometimes is to not answer your childs prayer. Ever think of it like that?

Heavily Armed
04-14-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by bts327
So your saying that god is a materialist?

What are you going to do if you really love your child? Spoil him rotten? What would that teach him? Thats just setting him up for disappointment and disaster later in life. Perhaps the most loving and hardest thing to do sometimes is to not answer your childs prayer. Ever think of it like that?

Spare the rod and spoil the child. Sometimes, for the good of the child, the answer has to be "no".

wildman536
04-14-2004, 11:10 PM
God Does Answer Prayers bro!!

bts327
04-14-2004, 11:21 PM
I have an idea, as an experiment.

Lets all put our heads together and form one big prayer chain. We could even do it all at the same time. We will all have to pray for something unselfish. Being that we are all sinners then god will have to listen.

We will pray for world peace. We will also pray for our own deaths at the onset of this peace so that we will not be directly deriving anything selfish from the prayer.

Now I will bet you anything that world peace will not be a result of pleading and praying to some projected entity of the mind. Who wants to prove me wrong?

The Kurgan
04-15-2004, 01:52 AM

Lets all put our heads together and form one big prayer chain. We could even do it all at the same time. We will all have to pray for something unselfish. Being that we are all sinners then god will have to listen.

We will pray for world peace. We will also pray for our own deaths at the onset of this peace so that we will not be directly deriving anything selfish from the prayer.

Now I will bet you anything that world peace will not be a result of pleading and praying to some projected entity of the mind. Who wants to prove me wrong?

Ok bts, I've got a bit of a surprise for you. Now most people learn this about the time they learn that Santa isn't real, but God's not real. He's just people's imagination, so how could he answer prayers, silly boy. Now have some more candy. ;)

Heavily Armed
04-15-2004, 08:43 AM

Prayer without faith is a futile endeavor.

Heavily Armed
04-15-2004, 08:44 AM
Ok bts, I've got a bit of a surprise for you. Now most people learn this about the time they learn that Santa isn't real, but God's not real. He's just people's imagination, so how could he answer prayers, silly boy. Now have some more candy. ;)

{Gasp} Santa, not real? Blasphemy!

bts327
04-15-2004, 09:26 AM
Prayer without faith is a futile endeavor.

So by this you mean that someone who is absolutely convicted to their faith would be able to accomplish such a task as world peace through prayer? If so then why havent we seen it? Surely someone who is righteous has prayed for this. I cant think of a more worthwhile prayer.

bts327
04-15-2004, 09:29 AM

Rubbish!!!

The Kurgan
04-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Rubbish!!!

No, candy.

Heavily Armed
04-16-2004, 09:02 AM
So by this you mean that someone who is absolutely convicted to their faith would be able to accomplish such a task as world peace through prayer? If so then why havent we seen it? Surely someone who is righteous has prayed for this. I cant think of a more worthwhile prayer.

World peace will occur at the end, by the direct and final intervention of God. Sometimes the answer to prayer is "no". For world peace, evil would have to be eradicated. It is not time yet for this to happen. When is it time? Only God knows.

bts327
04-16-2004, 02:14 PM
World peace will occur at the end, by the direct and final intervention of God. Sometimes the answer to prayer is "no". For world peace, evil would have to be eradicated. It is not time yet for this to happen. When is it time? Only God knows.

The end? End of what? So I guess that seeing how only god can accomplish this he is currently holding out because he enjoys seeing people in turmoil. He can only intervine at a certain time? I thought he could do anything he wanted with or without regard to time.

LethalOnGuitarZ
04-17-2004, 11:43 AM
God doesn't answer prayers.... but I'm pretty sure someone does.

beinskinnysucks
04-17-2004, 08:25 PM
The end? End of what? So I guess that seeing how only god can accomplish this he is currently holding out because he enjoys seeing people in turmoil. He can only intervine at a certain time? I thought he could do anything he wanted with or without regard to time.

end of the world!

the world has to be at war before that can happen, and we are getting really close.

bts327
04-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by beinskinnysucks
end of the world!

the world has to be at war before that can happen, and we are getting really close.

You mean the end of the world? Or do you mean the end of our ability to percieve the world? What is the end of one thing marks the beginning of another. So it is reasonable to assume that there is no such thing as "an" or "the" end. There could only be an end in regard to our ability to foresee the future in relation to the slice of time that we inhabit.

dfz111
04-17-2004, 10:54 PM
yes he does

Heavily Armed
04-18-2004, 07:27 PM

He has a time set. When? Nobody knows. Why? We can only guess. Perhaps to give people who are yet to be saved the time to repent.

Jakman20
04-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Tryco Slatterus
I don't think so....

he made the world in 6 days. he rested on the 7th. god does answer prayers but not always the way we like or the way that seems right.

Fundamentals
04-19-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Dorian

that's your belief.

Prove to me that there is more than 9 planets in the solar system. Prove to me that there is a civilization more advanced than ours somewhere in the galaxy. We guess these but we have no proof! We are working very hard to find out these answers, the same way one day we will all know if he exists.

If anything why are we here?::POOF:: humans exist. no not like that, some sort of mind created us.