PDA

View Full Version : For the Canadians

Canadian Nanook
04-11-2004, 03:52 PM
If an election was called today who would you vote for?

Paul Martin- Liberal
Stephen Harper- Conservative
Jack Layton- NDP
or Gilles Duceppe- Bloc Quebecois
(i think it's gilles duceppe I'm not certain though)

and Why?

DB15
04-11-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Canadian Nanook
If an election was called today who would you vote for?

Paul Martin- Liberal
Stephen Harper- Conservative
Jack Layton- NDP
or Gilles Duceppe- Bloc Quebecois
(i think it's gilles duceppe I'm not certain though)

and Why?

Canada is in a dead lock really our major problem is that our leaders do not have any "balls" for instance with the recent scandle involving almost a billion dollars gone our current PM Martin doenst do dick all to go after the bastards that used that money that could be becuase he was one of them but I think our leaders and too proper

Fcuk I would say Jack Layton just to shake things up because the Liberals are too bitch to push Canada into the next step (even though I am a liberial myself) Harper has just fallen off the map and hell loose miseribly and the bloc can get bent with out the rest of Canada they would crumble but to be fair if they were to leave Canada as a whole would crumble as well.

Actually you know what lets vote a dead Treadu back into office he might have ran up the debt but there will never be a LEADER like him again.

Canadian Nanook
04-11-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by DB15
Canada is in a dead lock really our major problem is that our leaders do not have any "balls" for instance with the recent scandle involving almost a billion dollars gone our current PM Martin doenst do dick all to go after the bastards that used that money that could be becuase he was one of them but I think our leaders and too proper

Fcuk I would say Jack Layton just to shake things up because the Liberals are too bitch to push Canada into the next step (even though I am a liberial myself) Harper has just fallen off the map and hell loose miseribly and the bloc can get bent with out the rest of Canada they would crumble but to be fair if they were to leave Canada as a whole would crumble as well.

Actually you know what lets vote a dead Treadu back into office he might have ran up the debt but there will never be a LEADER like him again.

Bump
so true

Crimson-Model
04-11-2004, 07:15 PM
bump on DB15's post
I find Martin to be a horrible PM, but he was a good finance minister. Shoudl stick to his day job...

I really want the liberals out of ontario. I thought Mguinty would've done a good job, he used to work by my area, and I was dead wrong. :(

Pericles
04-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Harper/Conservatives all the way.

Signed,
An Albertan

darkforce
04-11-2004, 09:30 PM
I wish Paul Martin was head of the Conservatives...he's a conservative deep in his heart...

Ruthless4Life
04-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Conservatives. Period.

TranceNRG
04-12-2004, 02:40 AM
Harper --> NO
I can't stand conservative views and plans
martin --> NO
not as good as Chretien, too conservative

SO, I'll definitely go for Jack layton
I like the guy. He knows how to speak and tough, much better than Alexa

The problem is NDP is manily a regional power, mainly B.C.
so there's a slim chance for them to get the federal power

But I'll vote Layton :)

Canadian Nanook
04-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Crimson-Model
bump on DB15's post
I find Martin to be a horrible PM, but he was a good finance minister. Shoudl stick to his day job...

I really want the liberals out of ontario. I thought Mguinty would've done a good job, he used to work by my area, and I was dead wrong. :(

McGuinty is doing the best he can under the circumstances. If the conservatives were still in power, Ontario would be sold off and become a privatized province. It was the Conservatives who racked up the 5 billion dollar deficit, he's doing what he can with what he has

Canadian Nanook
04-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Ruthless4Life
Conservatives. Period.
Why?

Crimson-Model
04-12-2004, 03:37 PM
McGuinty is doing the best he can under the circumstances. If the conservatives were still in power, Ontario would be sold off and become a privatized province. It was the Conservatives who racked up the 5 billion dollar deficit, he's doing what he can with what he has
LOL, I can't believe I totally forgot about the 'hidden' 5billion dollar deficit...thanks for reminding me. :)

DB15
04-12-2004, 04:05 PM
LOL, I can't believe I totally forgot about the 'hidden' 5billion dollar deficit...thanks for reminding me. :)

Thats why we are here man, so peoples eyes can be opened and people can make the right choices from what they learn

Whingman
04-12-2004, 04:29 PM
crap that whole list sucks.....

Paul Martin really is just another face in the pierre trudea saga.

Jack layton in his fight for the people seems to forget to realise there must be a balance between the workers and the buisness if you kill the companies that provide the Jobs, you will inherently kill the Jobs.

Stephen Harper on the other hand is so pro american it sad, I am all for a good relationship with the U.S, unfortuanantly If americ asked Caanda to jump, he woudl get out his wip and make us jump, even if we don't want to.

Gilles Duceppe on the other hand hates canada...and considering our past P.M's have loved Caanda.....he is our only hope.

DB15
04-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Whingman
crap that whole list sucks.....

Gilles Duceppe on the other hand hates canada...and considering our past P.M's have loved Caanda.....he is our only hope.

Some kind of sick joke?

Ruthless4Life
04-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Why?

The Conservatives seem that they will be able to make our country stronger than we look under the Liberals. It might or might not come true, but the Liberals have had their chance for long enough to make it happen.

Canadian Nanook
04-12-2004, 11:35 PM
I don't think the conservatives will be able to get the vote because of the fact that Canada as a country is much more centre and the conservatives are too far off to the right. Agreed that the Liberals have had a long time in office but Conservatives in office have not fared to well recently either. We can never forget Kim Cambell or Mulroney. They didn't do so well. Why is this, more right wing party better?

Canadian Nanook
04-13-2004, 11:59 PM
So there are only 8 Canadians on this forum?

Preppy
04-14-2004, 01:00 AM

Now you see the funny thing about that is that current Ontario Finance Minister Greg Sorbara, was on the budgetary commitee three months before the election was even called. In this commitee, it was revealed that there would be a 5 billon dollar deficit. This mainly due to blatantly un-controllable circumstances such as SARS, WEST NILE, MAD COW and The Blackouts... As you can well imagine, none of these events could have been forseen or for that matter avoided, regardless of who was in power. That being said, with the 'honourable' Greg Sobora, being on that comitee it becomes clear that the Liberals new full well that they would be forced to run a deficit when in office, yet despite this they chose to make a series of promises... over 170 to be exact... which involved increased social spending without a raise in taxes... To date less than 10 of those promises have been kept... and low and behold... there is a proposed tax by the Liberals on meals under $4. So to put it politely, the Ontario Liberals knew full well what they were getting themselves into yet chose make hundreds of promises to Ontario voters that could in NO WAY be followed through on. It was a clear case of deception, and in my mind a vote of non confidence should take place, resulting in a removal from office.

Preppy
04-14-2004, 01:11 AM
I don't think the conservatives will be able to get the vote because of the fact that Canada as a country is much more centre and the conservatives are too far off to the right. Agreed that the Liberals have had a long time in office but Conservatives in office have not fared to well recently either. We can never forget Kim Cambell or Mulroney. They didn't do so well. Why is this, more right wing party better?

You see I think that might be where you are wrong, what Canada needs right now is a party that takes a firm ideological stance. The Liberals are supposed to be centered but lets be realistic, over the past decade they have been all over the place. Their polcies have been everywhere from moderatley left to extremely right wing. I think the point to take away from this is that, frankly, the Federal Liberals have really had no solid policy since their 1993 Red Book.... I think it is time we shake things up a little, but NDP is certainly not the way to go.... lets not forget what happened in Ontario during the Rae era??? The NDP simply have no concept of fiscal responsabillity... we have a debt, that everyone seems to forget about... and a millitary that are in dire need of funds, and these are two things that the 'dippers' out there have already pledged not to support. On top of that with the growing complexity of internation terror issues, the last party I want leading my country when I am neighbouring with the US is a party who is strongly against even necessary engagment in conflict. Although, I am a die hard Conservative, I am still skeptical about Harper, not because he is not qualified to be PM, b/c he is. Rather I am concenred that he will be unable to shed his alliance roots come elcetion time. If the Conservatives are to be succesful, they need to use this oppertunity to re-invent themselves and not re-iterate old policy inititiatives of the PC and Alliance. Thus, I am palcing my bets on the Conservatives, with the hopes that they can right the wrongs of the Liberal party as well as provide a consistant ideological model for the country to follow.

Canadian Nanook
04-14-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Preppy
Now you see the funny thing about that is that current Ontario Finance Minister Greg Sorbara, was on the budgetary commitee three months before the election was even called. In this commitee, it was revealed that there would be a 5 billon dollar deficit. This mainly due to blatantly un-controllable circumstances such as SARS, WEST NILE, MAD COW and The Blackouts... As you can well imagine, none of these events could have been forseen or for that matter avoided, regardless of who was in power. That being said, with the 'honourable' Greg Sobora, being on that comitee it becomes clear that the Liberals new full well that they would be forced to run a deficit when in office, yet despite this they chose to make a series of promises... over 170 to be exact... which involved increased social spending without a raise in taxes... To date less than 10 of those promises have been kept... and low and behold... there is a proposed tax by the Liberals on meals under $4. So to put it politely, the Ontario Liberals knew full well what they were getting themselves into yet chose make hundreds of promises to Ontario voters that could in NO WAY be followed through on. It was a clear case of deception, and in my mind a vote of non confidence should take place, resulting in a removal from office.

The main problem with that is that a vote of non-confidence won't take place unless many liberals, all the conservatives and all the NDP unite together and most liberals will not betray mcguinty like that. In the end, it will be McGuinty in office for five years and then we will see what will happen.

Canadian Nanook
04-14-2004, 08:43 AM
You see I think that might be where you are wrong, what Canada needs right now is a party that takes a firm ideological stance. The Liberals are supposed to be centered but lets be realistic, over the past decade they have been all over the place. Their polcies have been everywhere from moderatley left to extremely right wing. I think the point to take away from this is that, frankly, the Federal Liberals have really had no solid policy since their 1993 Red Book.... I think it is time we shake things up a little, but NDP is certainly not the way to go.... lets not forget what happened in Ontario during the Rae era??? The NDP simply have no concept of fiscal responsabillity... we have a debt, that everyone seems to forget about... and a millitary that are in dire need of funds, and these are two things that the 'dippers' out there have already pledged not to support. On top of that with the growing complexity of internation terror issues, the last party I want leading my country when I am neighbouring with the US is a party who is strongly against even necessary engagment in conflict. Although, I am a die hard Conservative, I am still skeptical about Harper, not because he is not qualified to be PM, b/c he is. Rather I am concenred that he will be unable to shed his alliance roots come elcetion time. If the Conservatives are to be succesful, they need to use this oppertunity to re-invent themselves and not re-iterate old policy inititiatives of the PC and Alliance. Thus, I am palcing my bets on the Conservatives, with the hopes that they can right the wrongs of the Liberal party as well as provide a consistant ideological model for the country to follow.
I do believe that we need a new government because the liberals have been in for way too long. The only way I see appropriate for anyone to take away would be the conservatives winning the election with a minority government so that the NDP and Bloc have more of a say in the running. If an election were called this year, and the alliance hadn't merged with the PC, the PC probably would have had a majority government because the people are looking for change and they need it, but it can't be as drastic as it is. To me, even though I am a liberal further left and closer to NDP, I think it is time for a change and when Martin finally does call an election, he's going to lose. They need to be humbled, that's why I'll vote for NDP and give them a chance in power

zeratulz
04-14-2004, 08:44 AM
ill vote layton just to change **** and see how they run the show. plus they said that they would make weed decriminalized , and since i dont believe its a crime im already in favor of them :D

Crimson-Model
04-14-2004, 02:11 PM
On top of that with the growing complexity of internation terror issues, the last party I want leading my country when I am neighbouring with the US is a party who is strongly against even necessary engagment in conflict.

Canada's war against terrorism is all fine and dandy with me, hell I'm behind my country 100% but what worries me is that Martin will beckon to every will that Bush proposes. I'm glad Chretien said that Canada would not participate against the war with Iraq. It was one of the great things he will be remembered for....

Ruthless4Life
04-14-2004, 02:55 PM
Canada's war against terrorism is all fine and dandy with me, hell I'm behind my country 100% but what worries me is that Martin will beckon to every will that Bush proposes. I'm glad Chretien said that Canada would not participate against the war with Iraq. It was one of the great things he will be remembered for....

I believe that one of the reasons why Canada did not participate in the Iraqi war is that we simply cannot afford to. We could barely afford to put the thousands of regulars in Afghanistan right now. The UN's condemption on the war was an easy way out more or less. But Chretien will surely say it was unjustified though, now that no WMD's have been found.