PDA

View Full Version : Have your religious beliefs changed ?

CerealKiller
04-10-2004, 12:35 AM
Are your religious beliefs different than how you were raised?

I suspect that at least 90% of the time, people's position on religion are based on how they were brought up. Do your views on religion differ substantially from how you were raised?

Ruthless4Life
04-10-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by CerealKiller

I suspect that at least 90% of the time, people's position on religion are based on how they were brought up. Do your views on religion differ substantially from how you were raised?

I was raised as a Protestant, but no one really taught me anything about it and it just became part of my childhood to go to church without knowing anything about it, so I was really an athiest. But now I'm a faithful Protestant.

In a way, no, I was raised to be a Protestant, and eventually, I became a Protestant. But in another way, I have always been an athiest (I didn't know what Christianity was even though I went to church) and now I'm a Protestant, so my beliefs changed from athiestism to Protestantism.

TranceNRG
04-10-2004, 03:03 AM

yes and no

I'ver very much like Ruthless
I was raised in a very open-minded family
so other than school and stories here and there I barely listened to anything religious, I didn't even practice it.

I started learning about it after 9/11, because alotta muslim bashing happened, and I needed to learn to be able to talk back. That helped alot and got me really close and fond of this religion.

The more I learn, the closer I get.
I find it very suitable regarding my own personal beliefs.

Tryco Slatterus
04-10-2004, 03:07 AM
YES

I was raised to be a christian..what kind I do not know....

But it's how I was raised...But once I turned like...12,,I realized religion is a complete joke...That's when I just abanoned it completly...

If existance is how the bible says...Then I do not want to exist anymore...Not just die..But not exist at all.

TrudyV
04-10-2004, 03:23 AM
I was raised a Lutheran but later after studying the bible I became a member of the Church of Christ. After more study I became an atheist but then settled into paganism. I finally found what I was looking for.

mizzOe
04-10-2004, 05:16 AM
i am a muslim.. and actually after the sept 11 attacks i've became a more religious person... thought about alot of things.. :)

t0mmy
04-10-2004, 05:41 AM
After 9-11 i became very pro-American and still am today.

I was raised as a Catholic, I go to church every week because of my parents. But I think I'm a bit different with regards to morals than my parents.. they wouldn't have sex before marriage, but I would. Things like that..

mizzOe
04-10-2004, 05:55 AM
yeah im all for america... its just the people in charge are totall ***gots.. :)

Woden
04-10-2004, 10:09 AM
I was raised Methodist until about 13 when I stopped believing. I'm about 1/3 athiest 1/3 agnostic and 1/3 pagan. In short I don't know what the **** I believe in. :)

Jimineye
04-10-2004, 10:22 AM
I was raised Catholic. But I disagreed with some of the things that Catholic church ran things, so I now I don't follow a denomination. I'm a Christian and I interpret the bible the way I see it, not as how another person may interpret it.

JigaroKagan
04-10-2004, 10:41 AM

My parents have threatened throughout my life to become a Christian, but I've always refused as I'm an agnostic.

shinysound
04-10-2004, 01:20 PM
when asked i say that i'm agnostic. i was raised catholic but now i disregard it all because of its flaws and the simple fact that it was created by man. however, part of me still believes that God exists, and sometimes i just get these overwhelming feelings that he or something else is telling me to change my life...maybe im just losing my mind...

zeratulz
04-10-2004, 01:50 PM
i was raised as a christian, we used to go to church once every few months. when i went to highschool we stopped altogether, then after i graduated i felt closer to god and i want tattoos to signify my belief in him. although the bible tell u not to descrate your bodies with tattos or what not . i believe that he would want me to do whatever i want .

mattman
04-10-2004, 01:54 PM
To believe something just because your parents do is crazy. I was raised Christian and now I am a 22 year old Christian and I always will be because I have all the evidence I need and everything in my life has pointed to God being real. I was raised in Baptist churches, however I will go to any church I enjoy that goes by the Bible. If my parents ever stopped believing in God (this wouldn't happen) it would not change my faith in God.

mariners216
04-10-2004, 01:56 PM
I was raised Catholic and still have to go to church every week, but I don't believe in it. Agnostic now.

supergarr
04-10-2004, 02:26 PM
not really. I just grew up celebrating xmas and that is all. I lived with my grandmother and mother, father left when I was 2. My family were christians before my grandmother converted after her husband died (before i was born), and i guess my mom and her brother resented that lifestyle but had no choice to live it. They weren't religious, and neither was I but I respected my grandmothers beliefs and listened to what she had to say about life and god. She was a little awkward with certain things. She would get pissed if people came over during christian holidays, or if I was watching a horror movie. Religion never made sense to me.

I remember picking up the bible when I was a kid and going through the entire book of genesis, and I asked myself, "What about the dinosaurs??? And since we came from Adam and Eve, that must mean we are all related". **** like this didn't make sense in my 10 year old head, and it still doesn't now. This is one of the reasons why i don't care for religion. It's just good story telling.

And then I see crap on the religious stations, about the fanatical sects of all the major religions. Fanatical christians are scary, so are fanatical muslims. Havn't really seen any fanatical jews, but they get really annoying when they start to bitch about the holocaust constantly, as if it were my fault or something.

My 11th grade social studies teacher was like this. Biggest jew ever. Female, probably mid 40's or so. Fat as hell, had the biggest star of david around the neck; I swear that thing weight 10 pounds. Every day in class it always lead to, "jewish this", "jewish that", or "holocaust this", and "oppressed people that". Rather annoying after being in that class for 10 months.

When I was younger I believe in a god... at least I think. I'm not sure though. Now there are times where I feel like there is someone out there listening to me when I am bymself, then other times i feel crazy thinking about something so supernatural.

Even if God does exist, why care about this pitiful little mudball? Don't you think he would interfere somehow by now? Nah.. IMO if there is a God, all it was here to do was become the guy at the top of the mountain, and to push that snowball down the slope so it can grow on its own. And now it just watches from atop that mountain, never interfering again with what it has started.

Another thing, places of worship give me the absolute creeps. I absolutely refuse to walk into a church, synagogue or a mosque.

M_D
04-10-2004, 02:48 PM

I was never really religious when I was younger, although I did go to "church" with my parents, and I did believe in god. But ever since I started University, and just became less ignorant about the world, and how humans behave and work I've since become an atheist.

The Kurgan
04-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Raised strict Christian, found myself in Humanism.

Ruthless4Life
04-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by M_D
I was never really religious when I was younger, although I did go to "church" with my parents, and I did believe in god. But ever since I started University, and just became less ignorant about the world, and how humans behave and work I've since become an atheist.

Either one is ignorant is still subjective. I can also say that I've became less ignorant about religions ever since I've learnt more about them and became a Christian.

BigKazWSM747
04-10-2004, 08:04 PM
A great deal. I was raised a christian, but i've stumbled all around. From atheist to a somewhat liberal christian back to atheist and then to agnostic.

RedheadHardBody
04-10-2004, 10:48 PM
Since I've grown older I have become more spiritual. I have braced my faith more that I'm older now.

kshatriya4life
04-11-2004, 12:48 AM
Hindu. I like my religion

Ruthless4Life
04-11-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by kshatriya4life

Just curious, how do you guys view Buddhism? I have a Hindu friend, and he's pretty much semi-Buddhist, but I'm curious to know how the majority of Hindus feel about it.

Jcfreak_02
04-11-2004, 01:50 AM
I don't know in all honesty. Why? Primarily because when I was young my parents told me things and I didn't comprhend most of it. When it pertained to behavior and such I obeyed, but that was more out of fear of my dad's belt. Now, knowing that my beliefs, my relationship with Christ is my own, I can't say that I really know if my thoughts have changed. Are they more clear? Very much so. Do I understand them better? Yes, like you wouldn't believe.

RedheadHardBody
04-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by kshatriya4life

I'm Jewish and I like my religion too! People should embrace their faith and be more spiritual. My rabbi says that your most important relationship is your one with God or whoever you believe in.

The Kurgan
04-12-2004, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by RedheadHardBody
I'm Jewish and I like my religion too! People should embrace their faith and be more spiritual. My rabbi says that your most important relationship is your one with God or whoever you believe in.

Whom you believe in.

Eeek have I become the Grammar Bot?

JonZ
04-12-2004, 07:21 AM
Raised catholic and went to catholic schools

While I havent ruled out a creator being probable, I dont belive in any religion.

As a matter of fact Im fanatically against organized religion.

The Buddhists are way ahead of everyone else IMHO.

uhhduh
04-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by The Kurgan
Whom you believe in.

In whomever you believe.

Grammar Bot 2.0 to the rescue :p

I was raised Jewish but I am now an Atheist.

CITADEL
04-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Yeah, raised in a Methodist church but now I'm against it 100%. Everyone there is just a Sunday Christian anyways. I still live a "Christian" lifestyle as much as I can because I think it's a good guide, but I'm not really sure what I would classify myself as.

Reborn79
04-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by JonZ
Raised catholic and went to catholic schools

While I havent ruled out a creator being probable, I dont belive in any religion.

As a matter of fact Im fanatically against organized religion.

The Buddhists are way ahead of everyone else IMHO.

Bump to that about Buddhism. I wasn't rasied any particular religion, and when I actually began learning about the religions, I determined my beliefs were essentially agnostic (Don't know if there is a God/s or not). I am against organized religion however, and some would say I am 'anti-christian', but I believe there is much too strong of a christian influence on this country, and so I have a right to be critical of such a religion that people attempt to force on me through legislation. (Gay rights, abortion, assisted suicide, etc.)

RedheadHardBody
04-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by The Kurgan
Whom you believe in.

I believe in God.

Lynne
04-12-2004, 03:05 PM
My mother believed in God, but had no religion that I know of. My father was and remains an atheist. I am now a Christian, but I refuse to say I am any particular denomination. I became a Christian about 8 years ago.

XEastCoastHateX
04-13-2004, 01:59 AM
Yes I was raised Catholic and now I dont believe in Jesus or in "GOD"

Im completely Pagan...