PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Chain!

Darthpilgrim
04-08-2004, 08:45 PM
I don't know if this has ever been tried before on BB.Com but I wanted to give it a shot. I believe that prayer is very powerful. No mater what the needs are, nothing is to great or too small for God. Losing Weight, Gaining Weight, Building Muscle, or just going for a healthy life, can all be easier with the help of the Lord and prayer.

Anyone who has needs in these areas, (which I'm asuming is close to 100% of the people who come here) can post here and others can pray for you. Also, any other needs you may need prayer for here.

I suggest posting your first name, state (or town), and what you need prayer for. Anyone who comes to this thread can write down your info and pray for you.

I'll start.

Darthpilgrim
04-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Jim - New Jersey - losing weight, help with cravings and binges, weight training, strength for myself, my family, and for my daughter who is due May 20th

CoolBuu
04-08-2004, 08:51 PM
first off, let me start by saying that I am a christian.

That being said... do you think God likes to hear about our desires to look better? Jesus was an unattractive man, the Bible says this. Do you think that God enjoys the fact that we pour so much of our time and efforts into making ourselves look good? Do you think God finds your (anyone's) desire to have a six-pack humble and Christian-like? This is something that I think about sometimes, and I think that maybe most of us christian bodybuilders should re-evaluate what we are doing. I am not saying bodybuilding is wrong, but I think that requesting God's help in the matter may be pushing it. But maybe I am wrong. So everyone, FLAME AWAY. Let me know how wrong I am :-\.

CoolBuu
04-08-2004, 08:54 PM
And to say a prayer, I need help re-evaluating my life. I need help to be a stronger christian and a better man. I pray for help for my family, my girlfriend, and pals, and everyone else out there. I wasn't trying to be rude man; I think you have an excellent idea. I just speak my mind, and that is what was on it. I guess I just feel like if God wants to help me out with my fitness goals, then he is smiling upon me. :)

Darthpilgrim
04-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by CoolBuu
And to say a prayer, I need help re-evaluating my life. I need help to be a stronger christian and a better man. I pray for help for my family, my girlfriend, and pals, and everyone else out there. I wasn't trying to be rude man; I think you have an excellent idea. I just speak my mind, and that is what was on it. I guess I just feel like if God wants to help me out with my fitness goals, then he is smiling upon me. :)

This is crazy Cool but I know something can would help you out greatly. It's a book by John Eldredge titled "Wild at Heart". Go and get it ASAP and read it. I have recomended this book to many friends and family (it's mainly for men) and all of them have been impacted by it. Everything you're loking for help with is covered here.

Also, Your body is a temple of Christ, and looking and feeling good about ourselves can only strengthen our hearts. I don't think God would look at it as a selfish act at all. I will be praying for you brother.

JC-orginalbdass
04-09-2004, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Darthpilgrim
Also, Your body is a temple of Christ, and looking and feeling good about ourselves can only strengthen our hearts. I don't think God would look at it as a selfish act at all. I will be praying for you brother.

BUMP

I do it for health reasons. I want to be strong.
If you are doing it for pride, then you definitely should reevaluate what you are doing.

JC-orginalbdass
04-09-2004, 05:06 AM
Todd-Please keep my new marriage in your prayers. We're not exactly in marital bliss right now (gone to bed angry the past two nights). It very unusual for us, and kind of scares me. Pray for us to make the Lord the center of our relationship. Thank you.

Darthpilgrim
04-09-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by JC-orginalbdass
BUMP

I do it for health reasons. I want to be strong.
If you are doing it for pride, then you definitely should reevaluate what you are doing.

I admit, I was 254 lbs, looking, feeling, and even being told I looked like a pile of crap. I definatly started out dieting and training for those reasons.

The changes diet and exercise brought went way past physical for me though. No more stomach cramps, increased energy, longer endurance, etc. I'm down to 223 now and though that is still pretty husky, I would'nt stop even if I was 180. I enjoy lifting weights and doing cardio!I'm in this for life!

My prayers in this area usually think the Lord for my incresed strength and energy. To do more things with my wife and son, and not get tired so fast.

Todd- you are definitly in my prayers.

Lynne
04-09-2004, 07:32 AM
I am praying for all of you.

For me, well I'm not even suppose to be up right now. Hemorrhaging, possible endometrial cancer (I think that's a stretch but who knows). I need the correct diagnosis and the doctor's need wisdom to administer the right treatment.

Lynne

matpal
04-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Lynne-

Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

If God has brought you to something, He will bring you through it.

matpal
04-09-2004, 10:48 AM
You actually bring up a very good point. We are told by Paul that physical fitness is good, but a healthy spirit is much more important. I do beleive there is nothing wrong with wanting to live a healthy life, we just have to have it in the right priority solt.

Originally posted by CoolBuu

Darthpilgrim
04-09-2004, 04:13 PM
I'll have to look this up, I know there are a few passages on the body and your health.

CoolBuu
04-09-2004, 09:33 PM
:) Not trying to rock the boat Darth; like I said, I have been debating this for a while. I often thank God much though for allowing me to lift weights. I could easily injure myself and never be able to lift again.

I don't think I lift for pride; but I do feel accomplished when I reach new strength PRs. I don't rub it in anyone's face though.

Thanks for praying for me, Darth. We need all the help we can get :)

Darthpilgrim
04-10-2004, 11:07 AM
amen!!!

TrudyV
04-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Thor, give me strength.

mariners216
04-10-2004, 12:48 PM
i could use some money..

bts327
04-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by mariners216
i could use some money..

bump...everyone pray for me to win the lotto and I will do the same in return, really I will...:)...then after we all win we can get together and celebrate!

Darthpilgrim
04-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by bts327
bump...everyone pray for me to win the lotto and I will do the same in return, really I will...:)...then after we all win we can get together and celebrate!

LOL! Free new equipment for everyone who post on this thread, if you win. Deal?

OK, I need some prayer for my family on my fathers side. Especially since it's around a holiday.

bts327
04-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Darthpilgrim
LOL! Free new equipment for everyone who post on this thread, if you win. Deal?

Deal

Canadian Nanook
04-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Lynne
I am praying for all of you.

For me, well I'm not even suppose to be up right now. Hemorrhaging, possible endometrial cancer (I think that's a stretch but who knows). I need the correct diagnosis and the doctor's need wisdom to administer the right treatment.

Lynne

Get better soon. The way I see it, it's not god who fixes a person, it is the idea of being fixed. The mind is a very powerful thing that we have not been able to fully tap into yet. If you believe that you will get better, then it will happen. Meditate and concentrate on getting better, or growing bigger or losing weight and if you have the dedication to concentrate and get another one rep out of it or another five minutes on the treadmill then it will come true. Also, I find that meditation while weight lifting helps a ton. I repeat the same phrase over and over and over in my head to help concentrate and use the mind to push myself further. God has given you the way to overcome your problems, in your mind, but you are the one that has to do it. There is a famous Jewish Midrash or story. there is a fire burning and it needs to be quelched, there is a bucket of water, you can pray all you want for the fire to go out but god won't help you, he has already given you the water to put out the fire, but YOU have to do it.

Lynne
04-12-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Canadian Nanook
Get better soon. The way I see it, it's not god who fixes a person, it is the idea of being fixed. The mind is a very powerful thing that we have not been able to fully tap into yet. If you believe that you will get better, then it will happen. Meditate and concentrate on getting better, or growing bigger or losing weight and if you have the dedication to concentrate and get another one rep out of it or another five minutes on the treadmill then it will come true. Also, I find that meditation while weight lifting helps a ton. I repeat the same phrase over and over and over in my head to help concentrate and use the mind to push myself further. God has given you the way to overcome your problems, in your mind, but you are the one that has to do it. There is a famous Jewish Midrash or story. there is a fire burning and it needs to be quelched, there is a bucket of water, you can pray all you want for the fire to go out but god won't help you, he has already given you the water to put out the fire, but YOU have to do it.

How true it is about the mind being a powerful thing. Thanks for that reminder :). I have experienced the strength of the mind to overcome physical pain at times. We don't really understand how that works, but fortunately we don't have to. I know some people who walked on burning coals without getting burned. I didn't see them, but if they are telling the truth, then there is so much more that we can do. I don't believe that is "witchcraft" or against God's wishes; I don't believe He would have given us the ability if He didn't want us to use it. That is NOT saying I don't depend on God though. It may be something as simple as positive thoughts enhance the immune system. We know depressed elderly people die earlier than those who are happy and active...

Canadian Nanook
04-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Lynne
How true it is about the mind being a powerful thing. Thanks for that reminder :). I have experienced the strength of the mind to overcome physical pain at times. We don't really understand how that works, but fortunately we don't have to. I know some people who walked on burning coals without getting burned. I didn't see them, but if they are telling the truth, then there is so much more that we can do. I don't believe that is "witchcraft" or against God's wishes; I don't believe He would have given us the ability if He didn't want us to use it. That is NOT saying I don't depend on God though. It may be something as simple as positive thoughts enhance the immune system. We know depressed elderly people die earlier than those who are happy and active...

I'm sorry to put you on the hot seat but I was curious about what you said. So if you believe that if god gave us an ability, he would want us to use it then what is your opinion on Genetic engineering and cloning. Personally, according to Judaism Genetic engineering is ok as long as it is for health reasons but I was wondering what your take was.