PDA

View Full Version : Oatmeal before bed?

jeffie7
04-07-2004, 10:31 PM
it is pretty high in carbs but its ohh sooo good

sigh... Im trying to keep my carb/sugar intake low due to summer coming up I use to eat cottage cheese with raspberry jam "Mmm soooo good" before bed but I cut that out and tend to stick with stuff like peanuts, peanut butter or oatmeal

last few nights I've been digging into a nice size bowl of oatmeal I mix it some 3 part oatmeal and about 1 part natural granola with maybe a tad bit of honey or if Im feeling bad "in a evil kinda way" I will add a tad bit of skim milk in place of the honey

also can anyone please link me to a website or post on this site that talks about complex carbs VS simple and what makes them what they are as with how they act in your body

why is it ok in the minds of some to eat one type but not the other?

Im lost

anyways thanks for any replys

Im off to bed to let the carbs in my oatmeal go to work

Jeff

XEastCoastHateX
04-07-2004, 10:34 PM
IMHO I would skip on oatmeal right before bed...stick with protein and EFA's.....

ndaniel7
04-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Why no oatmeal before bed? What wrong with that?

BORG4
04-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by ndaniel7
Why no oatmeal before bed? What wrong with that?

Carbs before bed = fat.

This is something the un-intelligent eastcoast couldn't explain. :D

ndaniel7
04-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Sure this thread comes out now why not about an hour ago when I made oatmeal for my late night snack. Any suggestions on what to do now?

BORG4
04-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by ndaniel7
Sure this thread comes out now why not about an hour ago when I made oatmeal for my late night snack. Any suggestions on what to do now?

Don't worry. Only one night. Live and learn!

XEastCoastHateX
04-08-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by BORG4
Carbs before bed = fat.

This is something the un-intelligent eastcoast couldn't explain. :D
I figured it was a given...douche

Josh37
04-08-2004, 03:47 AM
When do you workout? If you workout at night, your body needs carbs, so oatmeal before bed would be a GOOD idea. If you workout during the day, their are better choices during the night, like peanutbutter and cottage cheese.

massive member
04-08-2004, 10:58 AM
just stick with slow protien and good fats before bed

gfletch
04-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Calories in vs. Calories out. A slow digesting carb like oatmeal coupled with a lean protein source like Cottage Cheese is fine if used in moderation.

RiNgMaSteR
04-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Yeah, its a quick way to add some fat.

SquatMaster
04-08-2004, 04:44 PM
There are way too many variables involved to make the blanket statement that carbs before bed make you fat. For example, are you in a caloric surplus or defecit? Are you an endurance athlete? Did you train that night? Are you a diabetic? Do you have a pet goat?

If your goals are being realized and your happy with your progress, don't change anything. And yes, complex carbs are better most times of the day (other than pre/post workout).

Marc