PDA

View Full Version : Rwanda 10 years ago.....

zxcvnm
04-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Half of you can't find Rwanda on the map or what happened there 10 years ago so here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3594187.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3602859.stm

Truly F.u.c.k.ed

fireman_x
04-06-2004, 12:12 PM
I saw this on PBS a few days ago. It shows how the UN has and always will be a joke. The most sickening part of this was that most of the 800K+ people that were slaughtered were killed with machetes and hatchets. 10K UN soldiers with automatics would have ended the conflict in less than two weeks but no one wanted to bear the costs. Also there have been quite a few genociedes since WW2(which the UN pledged to never again allow), Laos and Cambodia for example, and of course the UN did nothing because there was no money involved.

irpker
04-06-2004, 12:33 PM
The UN is a confederacy. It relies on its member nations to enforce its policies. This is at the core of its ineffectiveness.

Also, nobody was going to send troops to Rwanda. That would have been a horrible mistake for any political leader. Nobody wants to put their troops in a civil war, because those type of wars are bloodiest.

badbart2000
04-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Its funny a country over throws a regime that has killed hundreds of thousands of civilians the rest of the world and the UN doesn't like it. But I guess it would have been OK to stop the killing in Rwanda.

Ruthless4Life
04-06-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by fireman_x
I saw this on PBS a few days ago. It shows how the UN has and always will be a joke. The most sickening part of this was that most of the 800K+ people that were slaughtered were killed with machetes and hatchets. 10K UN soldiers with automatics would have ended the conflict in less than two weeks but no one wanted to bear the costs. Also there have been quite a few genociedes since WW2(which the UN pledged to never again allow), Laos and Cambodia for example, and of course the UN did nothing because there was no money involved.

The effectiveness of the UN depend of the hearts of its members. If there are nations that don't want to help, then there is nothing anyone else can do. It's not the UN's fault. It's the members that are unwilling to lose any troops fighting for something that they see no interests.

Debaser
04-06-2004, 09:44 PM
Pretty pathetic how the US meddles in other countries' situations but is nowhere to be heard in atrocities like this. Also shows how the UN 'approval system' needs to be reformed.

fireman_x
04-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by irpker
The UN is a confederacy. It relies on its member nations to enforce its policies. This is at the core of its ineffectiveness.

Also, nobody was going to send troops to Rwanda. That would have been a horrible mistake for any political leader. Nobody wants to put their troops in a civil war, because those type of wars are bloodiest.
Two things you don't understand:
1. There were already troops in Rwanda mostly Belgian and a few other African countries as well under the umbrella of the UN. Ten Belgian troops are killed and they pull out. There were only a few hundred African soldiers that were left because the wanted to stop the massacre. Most were unarmed as well but the Hutu's would not attack them because the were afraid of international action. Little did they know that it would never happen.

2. It was far from a civil war is was a slaughtering of unarmed civilians. The Tutsi's were completely defenseless, remember most were attacked with just machetes and hatchets. How hard is it to stop guys with machetes when you have a gun?

I know why the UN would not intervene. First reason was Somalia which left a lasting image on Clinton's administration about having troops in Africa. The least they could have done was to send the remaining UN contingent some arms but they refused to do that. The second reason was the Rwanda has no money to pay for the costs.

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/09/power.htm

lucubration
04-09-2004, 07:28 AM
The truly ****ed up thing is that all the machete killers have been recently released from jail into the general population...

Willie_Bosket
04-09-2004, 09:36 AM
I remember watching stuff about this on the news back in 94, such a tragedy, I don't understand how someone can hack an innocent person to death, children included.