PDA

View Full Version : Dick Cheney Supports Higher Gas Taxes!

LordNeon
04-06-2004, 11:12 AM
In 1986, that is ...

Cheney Tax Plan From '86 Would Have Raised Gas Prices

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/06/politics/06CHEN.html

Meanwhile, both Bush and Cheney blast Kerry for allegedly supporting a gas tax increase that Kerry never even voted for.

Choice quote:

'"Let us rid ourselves of the fiction that low oil prices are somehow good for the United States," Mr. Cheney, who is now vice president, said shortly after introducing the legislation.'

SteakNPotatoes
04-06-2004, 12:02 PM
/Kelso

Burn!

kmac12
04-06-2004, 12:09 PM
In 1994, Kerry Backed Half-Dollar Increase In Gas Tax.

“Kerry said [the Concord Coalition’s scorecard] did not accurately reflect individual lawmakers’ efforts to cut the deficit. ‘It doesn’t reflect my $43 billion package of cuts or my support for a 50-cent increase in the gas tax,’ Kerry said.” (Jill Zuckman, “Deficit-Watch Group Gives High Marks To 7 N.E. Lawmakers,” The Boston Globe, 3/1/94)

He flip-flopped on this whether he voted or not. Granted, he might have changed his mind, but he did support it at one time. Its fair game.

kmac12
04-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Also, you should change your subject line to 'supported' instead of 'supports' unless you have proof that he current supports this increase.

LordNeon
04-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by kmac12
He flip-flopped on this whether he voted or not. Granted, he might have changed his mind, but he did support it at one time. Its fair game.

And Cheney flip-flopped on gas taxes as well.

kmac12
04-06-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by LordNeon
And Cheney flip-flopped on gas taxes as well.

Yep, maybe so. This is the first that I have heard of it.

But, in my opinion, supporting a 50 cent increase is worse than just saying that oil prices should go up.

I didn't get to read the article though since I am not a subscriber.

Pain_is_temp
04-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by kmac12
Also, you should change your subject line to 'supported' instead of 'supports' unless you have proof that he current supports this increase.

Ohh so its ok for a Republican to have once supported something and then change his mind; but if a Democrat does the same thing you call it flip-flopping? Your statement here infers that quite heavily!

kmac12
04-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Pain_is_temp
Ohh so its ok for a Republican to have once supported something and then change his mind; but if a Democrat does the same thing you call it flip-flopping? Your statement here infers that quite heavily!

Please point out where I said that in my post?

How did I infer that?

I never said that Cheney didn't flip-flop. I did not get to read the full article.

If Cheney changed his mind (flip-flopped) and now does not support a rise in oil prices then his subject is providing mis-information.

It doesn't matter if he is Rep or Dem.

I do not have a problem debating that he flip-flopped, but the subject says that he supports a rise in the gas tax which may not be true.