PDA

View Full Version : Poll says Bush is losing support on Iraq and his Job Approval is down

BigKazWSM747
04-05-2004, 05:43 PM
By WILL LESTER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Public approval of President Bush (news - web sites)'s handling of Iraq (news - web sites) has slipped to a new low alongside his overall job rating after last week's grisly deaths of four contractors in Fallujah, a poll says

Still, a majority supports his decision to use military force in Iraq, says the poll released Monday.

Four in 10, or 40 percent, approve of the way Bush is handling Iraq, while 53 percent disapprove. That's down from six in 10 who approved in mid-January, according to the poll by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press.

Bush's overall job approval is at 43 percent, a low point for his presidency, down from 56 percent in mid-January. In the new poll, 47 percent disapproved of Bush's job performance. Bush's job approval soared to 90 percent after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and remained in the 70s for almost a year after that.

Public support for the decision to use military force in Iraq has not changed. The poll found that 57 percent think the United States made the right decision to use military force about the same as in early February.

"People are sticking to their guns on whether this was the right decision, but they're beginning to feel a little more wary about how long our troops are exposed to these dangers," said Andrew Kohut, director of the Pew Research Center. "While they think this was the right thing to do, they don't think Bush is handling it very well."

Kohut suggested the drop in Bush's overall approval rating may be caused by a combination of domestic and overseas concerns. Public interest in high gas prices rose to 58 percent who said they were following the story very closely, compared with 47 percent who felt that way in mid- March.

"He's got bad news out of Iraq, interest in gasoline prices is soaring," Kohut said. He added that the effect of last Friday's report of more than 300,000 new jobs may not be evident in polls yet.

The poll of 790 adults was taken Thursday through Sunday and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Half of those polled, 50 percent, said the United States should keep troops in Iraq until a stable government is formed there, while 44 percent said the U.S. should bring troops home as soon as possible. In January, 63 percent said the United States should keep troops in Iraq until there is a stable government.

credit: www.yahoo.com

irpker
04-05-2004, 06:12 PM
The problem with this poll is that the sample population is 790 while the entire nation consists of a diverse population of 300 million.

TimeToLift86
04-05-2004, 07:15 PM
This country has had a bad track record with long drawn out conflicts. I must base this on the television access into the war that has been available since the Vietnam Era. The country prevailed through World War I & II, those soldiers came home to parades and a cheering populas. I find it sickening to watch and read about soldiers coming home and getting spit on for fighting for their country. Vietnam - How does a ****ing hippy have the right to spit on a man in uniform who just spent his TOD (tour of duty) watching his friends die and being subjected to things I can't even imagine. This still happens today, what is this crap about not supporting your country? I think that we are doing the right thing over in Iraq although I hate seeing my friends and fellow Americans die.

My heart goes out to those who have fought and are fighting for this great country, be safe and you will always be heros in my eyes

Jimineye
04-05-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by TimeToLift86
This country has had a bad track record with long drawn out conflicts. I must base this on the television access into the war that has been available since the Vietnam Era. The country prevailed through World War I & II, those soldiers came home to parades and a cheering populas. I find it sickening to watch and read about soldiers coming home and getting spit on for fighting for their country. Vietnam - How does a ****ing hippy have the right to spit on a man in uniform who just spent his TOD (tour of duty) watching his friends die and being subjected to things I can't even imagine. This still happens today, what is this crap about not supporting your country? I think that we are doing the right thing over in Iraq although I hate seeing my friends and fellow Americans die.

My heart goes out to those who have fought and are fighting for this great country, be safe and you will always be heros in my eyes

Well put. If I ever see anyone spitting on a veteran as they come home I will make a point to be the living **** out of the spitter.

TimeToLift86
04-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Jimineye
Well put. If I ever see anyone spitting on a veteran as they come home I will make a point to be the living **** out of the spitter.

I am just waiting for the day when I get to devestate someone who gets into my face talking **** about our country

BigKazWSM747
04-05-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by irpker
The problem with this poll is that the sample population is 790 while the entire nation consists of a diverse population of 300 million.

True, I'm sure though it reflects the general consesus although it is not 100% accurate. By now polling has practically become a science and i'm sure they have figured out how to get it to be as accurate as possible.

Ryo
04-05-2004, 09:15 PM

This is why I hate polls.

garfieldinitaly
04-05-2004, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't ever spit on a soldier, it's essential that they do what they are told no matter what, so you have to support them. I wouldn't mind spitting on Bush though.

LordNeon
04-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Ryo
This is why I hate polls.

Really, from a statistical perspective, that's actually all the number of people you need to get a reliable indicator of the nation, assuming your sample is really random.

Starsky
04-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by a. americanus
You know they want to, but they wont. All they are is whining pussies that are real good at blocking traffic, crunching granola, and smoking dope.

You forget living in Communes for 3 weeks, abandoning them due to utter failure, then coming back and mooching off regular Capitalist society(while bashing it of course).

irish_2003
04-06-2004, 03:18 PM
I have a problem with all these gallup polls. It seems to me that they are polling a small selection of people. It is very easy to sway poll results by creatively wording the poll question or polling just those with the responses they're looking for.

Starsky
04-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by irish_2003
I have a problem with all these gallup polls. It seems to me that they are polling a small selection of people. It is very easy to sway poll results by creatively wording the poll question or polling just those with the responses they're looking for.

Yes, but only certain polls do that. For instance, the LA Times had Gray Davis far higher than he actually was prior to Arnold winning the CA recall election.

Ryo
04-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by LordNeon
Really, from a statistical perspective, that's actually all the number of people you need to get a reliable indicator of the nation, assuming your sample is really random.

Yeah, but you can poll 790 people who you think will give the response that you want easily.

BigKazWSM747
04-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by irish_2003

Yes, but Gallup polls unlike something like "Reelect Bush 2004" or "Anybody but Bush" are actualy reliable because they try to be objective and not slant the results.

BigKazWSM747
04-06-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Ryo
Yeah, but you can poll 790 people who you think will give the response that you want easily.

Yeah it happens all the time, like a CNN poll on a TV show and they show the results at the end of program. Gallup polls like the one's published by reputable news sources are objective though so they are a fair indicator.

ironhead31
04-07-2004, 06:22 AM
Proud to be an American.God Bless The USA!

supergarr
04-07-2004, 06:27 AM

there is nothing wrong with that if the sample was truly random