PDA

View Full Version : Tendonitis

Antigravity
04-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this but here goes.

I've been experiencing some pain and tenderness in the the tendons of my arms and I think it may be a case of tendonitis. Not sure how serious this is. The pain seems to start in my shoulders and goes down the back of my arm and into my forearms.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this? Is it just the repetitive strain the tendons are placed under and is there anything I can do about it, like taking glucosamine/chondrotin? I don't notice any pain during the lifting just the days following.

If anybody has had any experience with this sort of thing or knows anything about it I would appreciate any help.

Nayl
04-11-2002, 01:01 PM
Sounds like you could be overtraining. You could also have some tendonitis. You need rest and a supplement like glucosamine can help you recover. I would see a sports phycisian though if you want to continue to lift in this lifetime. Continuing to train could lead to surgery depending on where your pain is.

Antigravity
04-11-2002, 02:18 PM
I don't think that I could possibly be overtraining. I only train 3-4x/week and my sessions are only around an hour long and my volume is quite low compared to others (6-8 sets for major bodyparts and 4 for smaller.)

Nayl
04-11-2002, 04:36 PM
If you are training too heavy for your skeletal muscles, not feeding your muscles, or not recovering fully from workouts you CAN overtrain. This is possible with ANY routine. Even once a week can be too much if you are malnourished.

That being said, read this article:

Shoulders: An Owner's Manual

http://www.hardgainer.com/articles/17-60.html

If it were my shoulders, I'd get an MRI done and stop working out till I knew what the problem was.

KyokushinTiger
04-11-2002, 07:15 PM
You might wanna give glucosomine a try or maybe even shark cartilidge, give them a try as they are inexpensive it may help you it may also have to do with your nutrition are you getting enough protein? 1gram to 1lb bodyweight is needed when your training heavy, you may also wanna try this muscle rub called PING ON its chinese you can probably find it on the web it comes in a quarter$$ size pink container and works really well for tendons and muscles strains it only costs about $2.50 for a little container also, you could find if you go to a chinatown or asian food, herb, store.

Antigravity
04-12-2002, 08:59 AM
Must just be too much for my skeletal system. I'm not undereating, 4000 cal/day, 250 grams protein.

Nayl
04-12-2002, 02:40 PM
Escpecially with those supplementing creatine and other power enhancers, your muscular strength gains are out-distancing your skeletal muscle's gains to a point of overtraining them.

Take a week or two off, then come back with a slower training schedule. If you're not on glucosamine and glutamine, check into them (glutamine should be no problem) since this is what your skeletal muscles use for energy and rebuilding.

I read about this happening somewhere else, if I find the article/post, I'll put it here.

rros
04-23-2017, 09:57 AM
Wasn't sure where to post this but here goes.

I've been experiencing some pain and tenderness in the the tendons of my arms and I think it may be a case of tendonitis. Not sure how serious this is. The pain seems to start in my shoulders and goes down the back of my arm and into my forearms.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this? Is it just the repetitive strain the tendons are placed under and is there anything I can do about it, like taking glucosamine/chondrotin? I don't notice any pain during the lifting just the days following.

If anybody has had any experience with this sort of thing or knows anything about it I would appreciate any help.So this was 15 years ago... anyone has any clue? I am having the same issues. But then, I am 55 and perhaps aging is part of the problem. I also do not overtrain and eat enough daily protein. Recently, I started to suspect chikungunya or similar since I made a trip to Guadaloupe last January and got beaten by many mosquitoes.

wsteve30
04-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Stay away from supplements and especially steroids, hormone injections, etc that grow your muscles faster than what is considered normal, since in this scenario tendons can't keep up with the growing muscles, which leads to extra strain and injury. Ample warmup before each workout and make sure you are loose. Plenty of time between sets. Don't overtrain, give yourself days to rest. Practice proper form. Don't superset or exercise to failure. This will maximize tendinitis prevention and recovery.

I had it myself for a long time, I took lots of G&C for a very long time and don't think it helped but that's just me.

Glutamine in its supplement form has been proven to be useless, as long as you are getting plenty of protein you don't need it (which it sounds like you are getting more than enough).