PDA

View Full Version : sweet potatoes??!

SilentCrash
03-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Are Sweet potatoes ok to have in my last meal of the day while cutting ?

da rel hogan
03-27-2004, 12:20 PM
Recommendations are not to eat too much carbs before bed. Carbs = energy
sleeping = burning less energy

I'd say swap with some cottage cheese etc... but it depends on your goals and how much sweet potatoes you eat.

taffer
03-27-2004, 12:26 PM
i would probly suggest some broccoli or brussel sprouts before bed, if you want some vegies with your dinner, they have a really low GI (15 i belive) so they wont go on as fat, and they will last you that 8 hour fast

da rel hogan
03-27-2004, 12:31 PM
bump on the broccoli or brussel sprouts. Bump to most veg

mivi320
03-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Go with some Fiberous Veggies Lower In carbs..Broccoli, as mentioned above, is a great choice. Cauliflower, Green Beans, Lettuce, and Spinach are all good Choices too. Have The Sweet Potato earlier On in The Day to Go Along with One of Your Protein/Carb Meals..

SilentCrash
03-27-2004, 12:43 PM
well my last meal is about 4-5 hours before i go to bed.

i already eat tons of spinach, asparagus ad broccoli.

i dont eat that many carbs during the day either. I just find it hard to fit enough in.

it'd probably be a small one w/ some lean turkey breast or chicken and veggies.

ironlung
03-27-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by SilentCrash
well my last meal is about 4-5 hours before i go to bed.

So if you get 8 hours sleep, that means you "fast" for up to 13 hours.. not good for building muscle.

My last meal is about an hour before bed.

SilentCrash
03-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by ironlung
So if you get 8 hours sleep, that means you "fast" for up to 13 hours.. not good for building muscle.

My last meal is about an hour before bed.

it's my last meal not the last time i intake food.

I don't call my mini meals actual meals.

I eat protein right before i sleep. like tuna or chicken.

SilentCrash
03-27-2004, 01:46 PM
so what if I do this..

i'm going to workout in about an hour n 15 min. (arms, back and a little cardio)

what if I eat 1/2 cup oatmeal w/ 1/2 scoop whey protein an hour before i go.

then 1 scoop whey w/ water 20 after

and about an hour after that have my sweet potatoe

and then 2-3 hours after that have my turkey breast and veggies?

taffer
03-27-2004, 01:52 PM
you really want more carbs post-workout
either dextrose or chopped oats
then with the sweet potato have a protein source...

also pre-workout you may wanna take some slower-absorbing protein, like eggs, cottage cheese, milk or yogurt

SilentCrash
03-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by taffer

also pre-workout you may wanna take some slower-absorbing protein, like eggs, cottage cheese, milk or yogurt

hmm..good to know. ok what about this.

1 hour before - 1/2 cup oatmeal 1 cup skim milk (or would like 2 egg whites be better?..wow its like breakfast all over again) or maybe even like 1/2 cup all bran and 1/2 cup milk?

hmm..then what do i have post workout other than my whey shake? maybe a fat free yogurt?

I dont want more oats... and i dont think i have anything with dextrose..

ahhh im so confused.

taffer
03-27-2004, 02:10 PM
instead of the 1cup of milk you could replace that with 4-5 egg whites (only 70cal's or so, tons of good protein)

still have the whey post-workout!! just mix in some oats and throw it down, i dont see why you dont want more oats, its not like you really taste them in a shake, and they are better than basically everythign else (since you dont want any dextrose)
you could maybe throw in a banana post-workout in your shake for some higher-GI carbs but still not as good as dextrose (powdered gatorade basically) yogurt is ok, it will slow the absorbtion of the whey though.

army_vet
03-27-2004, 02:12 PM
If you need to gain weight, eat carbs before bed. Depending on your body needs I would measure what you are eating so you can tweak it later on.

SilentCrash
03-27-2004, 02:21 PM
instead of the 1cup of milk you could replace that with 4-5 egg whites (only 70cal's or so, tons of good protein)

still have the whey post-workout!! just mix in some oats and throw it down, i dont see why you dont want more oats, its not like you really taste them in a shake, and they are better than basically everythign else (since you dont want any dextrose)
you could maybe throw in a banana post-workout in your shake for some higher-GI carbs but still not as good as dextrose (powdered gatorade basically) yogurt is ok, it will slow the absorbtion of the whey though.

ah, ok.

Thanks so much. I'm pretty new to all of this. Trying to get my lifestyle healthier before I go off to college in the fall . So i want to develope good habits so I dont balloon up there.

<3

taffer
03-27-2004, 02:39 PM
dont worry about being confused, i can remember when i was confused about all this nutrition stuff (was only a few months ago!) but keep learning, you can always improve your knowledge some how

egoatdoor
03-27-2004, 06:21 PM

Agree. You need some simple carbs right after the workout. Complex carbs take too long to get into the system.