PDA

View Full Version : Bob\Tom or anyone else with elbow pain

cga
03-22-2004, 09:56 PM
My right elbow has become very sore especially on chest or tricep day. I prefer to train in the 6-8 rep range (after warming up) and I was thinking of lowering the weight and doing a higher number of reps until the joint feels better. Any suggestions on supplements that will help heal the joint. Also, what chest and tricep exercises would you recommend and what would be a good rep range to minimize stress on the joint? Tank you for your time.

juggernaut04
03-22-2004, 10:53 PM
I don't understand why people ask the pro's things like this....

This is a bodybuilding fourm...And there are other sections for that question.

fire
03-23-2004, 12:41 AM
It's too difficult for even a Doctor to diagnose your injury without examining it. Just saying elbow pain is too vague. What kind of elbow pain? sharp pains? Deep inside the elbow? On the outside or inside of the elbow? When bending your elbow do you feel pain? Do you only feel this pain when performing resistance excercises? These are some questions a doctor would ask not to mention some poking and prodding. You would be best to seek medical advice my man. I can say I've suffered from elbow pain before but because I had it doesn't mean your injury and mine are related in any way. See a doc.

American Pride
03-23-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by cga
My right elbow has become very sore especially on chest or tricep day. I prefer to train in the 6-8 rep range (after warming up) and I was thinking of lowering the weight and doing a higher number of reps until the joint feels better. Any suggestions on supplements that will help heal the joint. Also, what chest and tricep exercises would you recommend and what would be a good rep range to minimize stress on the joint? Tank you for your time.

Yes, its time to go to a higher rep ranger and give your joints a break. I like low reps too but have come to appreciate high rep routines too. Going slightly lighter gives you an opportunity to reasses your form and work on feeling the muscle. I think it compliments lower rep workouts in many ways and will probably give your elbow an opportunity to heal the pain.

American Pride
03-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by juggernaut04
I don't understand why people ask the pro's things like this....

This is a bodybuilding fourm...And there are other sections for that question.

Why not? When asking questions on most forums, u never know who could be giving you advice. It could quite possibly be someone below your level. I think everyone would like opinions from the Pro who has established himself at the top of our sport? However redundant the question might be.
Its like how personal trainers get the same questions almost all the time.

Pro Tom Prince
03-23-2004, 11:14 AM
CGA: The FIRST thing I would do, is get yourself some elbow wraps. The slip on kind. I buy mine at a local drug-store, and they are made by Ace bandage.

Next, I'd go out of my way to warm-up my elbows really well. Do 4-5 sets of tricep pushdowns, pyramiding the weight up slightly as you go. I do this, myself, using the following weights: 30, 50, 70, 90, 100.. for 10 reps each. This is part of my warm-up for doing chest, shoulder pressing movements, and tri's.. which means I do this warm-up 3 seperate time a week.

THIRD: After you put on your elbow wraps, and warm up your elbows really well with pushdowns, UP THE REPS. Yes, your elbows may feel fine with the wraps and warm-up, but up the reps to a minimum of 12 reps on chest, shoulder pressing exercises, and tri's. HAS TO BE ALL 3 BODYPARTS, or your elbows will stay inflamed. I'd train like this for at least 2 weeks.

Chances are, it'll take longer for your elbows to get better. If not, great. But, don't be surprised if it takes a few MONTHS for your elbows to heal and stop hurting.

NOTE: This is not an injury to be "tough" with. Don't tough it out, thinking your elbows will just get better on their own. You have to baby them a little. You'll have great workouts going a heavy 12-15 reps, and get alot out of them. Don't be so stubborn that you get stuck thinking if the weight isn't crazy heavy for 6 reps, that you're not training hard. That mentality will have all your joints destroyed in 5 years.

I'd ice your elbows after training, also. I know way too many guys that tried to tough it out, and have chronic elbow problems, now.

Also, try and stay away from the painkillers and aspirin. All they do is mask the pain. You don't want to get into the habbit of masking the pain, just to get your workout in.

cga
03-23-2004, 11:35 AM
I would like to thank everybody for their input. I will stop at a drug store on my way to the gym today and do a through warm up once I am at the gym. I especially like that NOTE in Toms’s reply because I have been toughing it out the last few weeks, “playing through the pain”, and I it is just getting worse.

Tom I was researching on the internet and anti-inflammatory sound like they might help, would you recommend going this rough or not.

Dick Blazer
03-23-2004, 06:50 PM
tendonitis maybe
lighten the load for awhile and get away from the lifts that bother it most. at least for awhile

Pro Tom Prince
03-24-2004, 12:25 PM
CGA: I would NOT reccomend the anti-inflamatory route.

That's how I ended up with kidney damage. It started with 2 Advil a day. As my shoulder, knees and elbows got worse, I kept upping the dose of Advil. Eventually, I got to 8 tabs fo Advil, 3 times a DAY. That's 24 a day.

When the Advil wasn't enough, I added in Celebrex. I used Celebrex (a strong anti-inflam they give old people with arthritis problems), for almost a year.

Yes, I kept training balls to the wall, because I was continually masking the pain. Now, I have bad joints everywhere, and damaged kidney's from all the Advil and Celebrex.

If you think it's "Just Tom", and that no one else has had this happen, read Sports Illustrated's article on basketball player, Alonzo Mourning, and read how he discussed his use of Celebrex contributed to his kidney failure.

shanehanner
05-04-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by tom prince
CGA: I would NOT reccomend the anti-inflamatory route.

That's how I ended up with kidney damage. It started with 2 Advil a day. As my shoulder, knees and elbows got worse, I kept upping the dose of Advil. Eventually, I got to 8 tabs fo Advil, 3 times a DAY. That's 24 a day.

When the Advil wasn't enough, I added in Celebrex. I used Celebrex (a strong anti-inflam they give old people with arthritis problems), for almost a year.

Yes, I kept training balls to the wall, because I was continually masking the pain. Now, I have bad joints everywhere, and damaged kidney's from all the Advil and Celebrex.

If you think it's "Just Tom", and that no one else has had this happen, read Sports Illustrated's article on basketball player, Alonzo Mourning, and read how he discussed his use of Celebrex contributed to his kidney failure.

I remember reading the article in Flex about your kindney problem, It was a very imformative read. I remember Bob saying he would have to drop you off at the front door to the gym because you felt so crappy, and you just toughed your way through the workouts.

SKB
05-13-2004, 12:35 PM
I would listen to those with experience. The pro's have worked through so much pain in their careers it would make most peoples aches and pain look like a stubbed toe.

I've worked with many local BB's and always recommend a lifestyle and training change before taking medications.

As Mr. Prince had said, elbow wraps and a proper warm-up are essential in preventing elbow problems/tendonitis. I would also AVOID "stretch-position" exercises. The worst are: overhead tricep extensions and skull-crushers (and most exercises with the elbow up high in a stretched position.

Stick with mass builders like close grip bench, dips and pushdowns. Even dips might hurt a bit.

Every painkiller you take causes the stomach to bleed a few millilitres of blood...not good. Try glucosamine+chondroitin+MSM, as well as fish oil capsules for joint pain.

Good luck,
Kumar Bandyo
B.Sc. Kinesiology

gthorn2000
07-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Bump for an old thread with some good info about injury management

siersy
07-20-2009, 07:15 PM
cool thread...

yea when had my wisdom teeth out ... ( i knew anti inflam's were really bad for you ) did alot of research from when i broke my leg and got off the anti inflamatorys drugs i was on within a 2 days even though the swelling was bad as ****...

what happened was i had a bad incident where i took a whole heap of script anti imflam before i went out (my daily rec dosage) and had 1 beer thats right just one beer at a pub on a thursday afternoon.

i tell you what i nearly collapsed... got to my car and started driving home and cant believe i made it home. i should have left there in an ambulance.

not to mention they inhibit tissue healing etc and like tom said mask pain.

masking pain is the worst thing you can do for your health cause one day it WILL bite you in the ass.

douggiefresh21
07-20-2009, 07:32 PM

I actually have pretty much the same problem that only happens on chest/tri day... usually after my second or third set of Tri's and usually happens during any workout extending out from my head with weight... like skullcrushers. I actually stopped doing those all together. I also feel it when I do heavy weighted dips.

Why not? When asking questions on most forums, u never know who could be giving you advice. It could quite possibly be someone below your level. I think everyone would like opinions from the Pro who has established himself at the top of our sport? However redundant the question might be.
Its like how personal trainers get the same questions almost all the time.

Good post, and repped.

CGA: The FIRST thing I would do, is get yourself some elbow wraps. The slip on kind. I buy mine at a local drug-store, and they are made by Ace bandage.

Next, I'd go out of my way to warm-up my elbows really well. Do 4-5 sets of tricep pushdowns, pyramiding the weight up slightly as you go. I do this, myself, using the following weights: 30, 50, 70, 90, 100.. for 10 reps each. This is part of my warm-up for doing chest, shoulder pressing movements, and tri's.. which means I do this warm-up 3 seperate time a week.

THIRD: After you put on your elbow wraps, and warm up your elbows really well with pushdowns, UP THE REPS. Yes, your elbows may feel fine with the wraps and warm-up, but up the reps to a minimum of 12 reps on chest, shoulder pressing exercises, and tri's. HAS TO BE ALL 3 BODYPARTS, or your elbows will stay inflamed. I'd train like this for at least 2 weeks.

Chances are, it'll take longer for your elbows to get better. If not, great. But, don't be surprised if it takes a few MONTHS for your elbows to heal and stop hurting.

NOTE: This is not an injury to be "tough" with. Don't tough it out, thinking your elbows will just get better on their own. You have to baby them a little. You'll have great workouts going a heavy 12-15 reps, and get alot out of them. Don't be so stubborn that you get stuck thinking if the weight isn't crazy heavy for 6 reps, that you're not training hard. That mentality will have all your joints destroyed in 5 years.

I'd ice your elbows after training, also. I know way too many guys that tried to tough it out, and have chronic elbow problems, now.

Also, try and stay away from the painkillers and aspirin. All they do is mask the pain. You don't want to get into the habbit of masking the pain, just to get your workout in.

Tom, thanks for always taking the time to answer peoples questions in good form and with good information... alot of people just blow questions like this off with a sentence or two. One of the things you mentioned I do, I actually do a few sets of light single arm pushdowns to warm up my elbows before I do any tri workouts. I have found that this has helped alot.

twiztiddevil
07-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Warming up my elbows now(along with my RC warmups) for chest/delt/tri's.

Don't really feel the need for wraps, but I have noticed a strain in my elbows when going real heavy during chest.

Foxhound25
07-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey Tom,

Any advice on training chest and shoulders with a sore rotator cuff? Seems to be some slight pain when I raise my arms in any exercise, including flat presses, etc. It feels like the supraspinatus tendon is or the bursa sac are inflamed. Any exercises I could do that would reduce the inflamation/pain in this area?

Would perhaps going to a massage therapist be a good idea to loosen me up? I'm not too keen on visiting a hospital over something as minor as this, and my family doctor is booked for several months in advance.

Regards,
-Foxhound25

detroit pistons
01-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Hey Tom,

Any advice on training chest and shoulders with a sore rotator cuff? Seems to be some slight pain when I raise my arms in any exercise, including flat presses, etc. It feels like the supraspinatus tendon is or the bursa sac are inflamed. Any exercises I could do that would reduce the inflamation/pain in this area?

Would perhaps going to a massage therapist be a good idea to loosen me up? I'm not too keen on visiting a hospital over something as minor as this, and my family doctor is booked for several months in advance.

Regards,
-Foxhound25

awsome thread thanks to everyone for thie rinputs.
I have hurt my elbow, i think i tore a tendon or so, so i went to teh orthepic and he gave me a shot of crotozones (steroids) and it felt good for a month where i didnt really work out, now iam back to the game, its been a week and i think i hurt my elbow once more from bicept curls, it almost feels like if u hurt urself doing hammer curls.
i guuess i will just wear the elboy strap and rest it for a couple of days and wish for the best.

now, do u guys recommend nay supplements for healing? iam only taking protien and creatin? anythoughts on those test boosters to help?
Thanks

braindx
01-14-2010, 04:46 PM
awsome thread thanks to everyone for thie rinputs.
I have hurt my elbow, i think i tore a tendon or so, so i went to teh orthepic and he gave me a shot of crotozones (steroids) and it felt good for a month where i didnt really work out, now iam back to the game, its been a week and i think i hurt my elbow once more from bicept curls, it almost feels like if u hurt urself doing hammer curls.
i guuess i will just wear the elboy strap and rest it for a couple of days and wish for the best.

now, do u guys recommend nay supplements for healing? iam only taking protien and creatin? anythoughts on those test boosters to help?
Thanks
See section 4 & 5 of this article:

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/