PDA

View Full Version : Cheat once a week myth

Vietgoboi
04-24-2007, 03:57 PM
I been reading couple other threads, by cheating once a week it tricks your metabolism and next day go back on the diet and it quicken up your system by burning off tons of fat? Am I close?

Sibrek
04-24-2007, 04:00 PM
really, its just a justification for people who want to eat a little more, and theres nothing wrong with it.

it MIGHT have some good effects, to cheat for 3-400 calories over your limit, or to go to maintenance, but if that speeds up your metabolism its probably because you're undereating in the first place..

do not follow the people in the "cheat contest" thread.

Disko
04-24-2007, 04:23 PM
one day doesnt hurt, 2 days is a problem

CF10
04-24-2007, 04:33 PM
You're confusing a cheat with a refeed. The difference is that a refeed is clean and a cheat is not. When you are dieting, your metabolism slows and the leaner you get and the longer you are on a caloric deficit, the lower your leptin levels get. Leptin is a hormone largely responsible for fat loss.

So, refeeds are done to boost the metabolism and leptin. They can be done as often as you need them. The rule is that the longer you've been dieting, and the leaner you are, the more frequent the refeeds. Yes, they make a huge difference if that is what you are asking. Cheats will have the same effect but the difference is that cheats will usually be more of a 1 step back, 2 steps forward approach as opposed to the clean refeed which is pretty much just 2 steps forward.

Hates_
04-24-2007, 04:35 PM
The rule is that the longer you've been dieting, and the leaner you are, the more frequent the refeeds.
What's a normal period of time between refeeds?

matthor
04-24-2007, 04:42 PM
You're confusing a cheat with a refeed. The difference is that a refeed is clean and a cheat is not. When you are dieting, your metabolism slows and the leaner you get and the longer you are on a caloric deficit, the lower your leptin levels get. Leptin is a hormone largely responsible for fat loss.

So, refeeds are done to boost the metabolism and leptin. They can be done as often as you need them. The rule is that the longer you've been dieting, and the leaner you are, the more frequent the refeeds. Yes, they make a huge difference if that is what you are asking. Cheats will have the same effect but the difference is that cheats will usually be more of a 1 step back, 2 steps forward approach as opposed to the clean refeed which is pretty much just 2 steps forward.

looking ripped dude! and good advice as per norm

AlwaysTan
04-24-2007, 04:44 PM
well my trainer put it like this. lets say a week through diet and excerise, i was going to burn a total of 2,000 calories, or about a 1-1.5lbs of fat loss. if i go off my clean eating and scarf down a pizza and some beer or fast food, there is the weight im supposed to loose.

CF10
04-24-2007, 04:45 PM
What's a normal period of time between refeeds?

Like I said it depends on many factors like how much of a calorie deficit you are in, how long you've been in it, and how lean you are. Starting out, I wouldnt refeed very often, maybe once a month or so. After about 2 months you are gonna be leaner, and your metabolism and leptin will be lower. I'd refeed every 2-3 weeks at this point. Going into 12 weeks and up on the calorie deficit is gonna require frequent refeeds like once a week. It is also individually specific, meaning that person "A" may be able to go without refeeds for months and still drop weight, while person "B" may need a refeed every week. Play with it when you get into the depths of your diet and see how often you should do it.

Rules of thumb:
1) Keep fat to a minimum on refeed days
2) Raise cals to maintenence or slightly above by raising carbs. You can even drop protein levels slightly to get more carbs on this day if you wish (I dont though).
3) Make it as clean as possible.

Logicalypso
04-24-2007, 04:46 PM
well my trainer put it like this. lets say a week through diet and excerise, i was going to burn a total of 2,000 calories, or about a 1-1.5lbs of fat loss. if i go off my clean eating and scarf down a pizza and some beer or fast food, there is the weight im supposed to loose.

Your trainer is an idiot.

CF10
04-24-2007, 04:47 PM

YEAH BUT A CHEAT DOES NOT EQUAL A REFEED!!!! Thats a cheat.

CF10
04-24-2007, 04:48 PM
looking ripped dude! and good advice as per norm

Thanks, right back at ya.

Sockomalo
04-24-2007, 05:25 PM

so 2000 calorie deficit will get rid of 1.5 pound of fat now eh?

Your trainer is an idiot.

X2

poloboy406
04-24-2007, 05:32 PM
YEAH BUT A CHEAT DOES NOT EQUAL A REFEED!!!! Thats a cheat.
So then what types of carbs are you refeeding with?
Mostly starchy carbs?
Like sweet potatoes, oatmeal, potatoes, brown rice and other things along that line?

Sockomalo
04-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Mostly starchy carbs?
Like sweet potatoes, oatmeal, potatoes, brown rice and other things along that line?

yes. i usually dont eat potatoes, but the other 3. and keep the fat low....

CF10
04-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Mostly starchy carbs?

Yeah, for me its brown rice, oatmeal, ezekiel bread, and shredded wheat.

matthor
04-24-2007, 05:48 PM
i like low fat homemade muffins

martina92685
04-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Yeah, for me its brown rice, oatmeal, ezekiel bread, and shredded wheat.

I

LOVE

Shreaded

Wheat!!

Mr.Hombre
04-24-2007, 06:58 PM
on refeeds, you want to keep fat consumption as low as possible...I'd say no more than 20% of your calories.