PDA

View Full Version : Glutamine and Arginine effects?

eurojjj19
04-24-2007, 12:05 PM
anyone tried this simple stack (with other obvious supps like creatine, vits, etc)? read about it and it said to take it about 45 min BEFORE working out bc it supposedly increases GH production. just checkin to see if anyone has tried it and noticed anything benefitial bc its not a very common topic on these threads.

Skull Crusher Chris
04-24-2007, 12:10 PM
anyone tried this simple stack (with other obvious supps like creatine, vits, etc)? read about it and it said to take it about 45 min BEFORE working out bc it supposedly increases GH production. just checkin to see if anyone has tried it and noticed anything benefitial bc its not a very common topic on these threads.

I take glutamine before breakfast, bed and PWO, b/c I feel that it helps with my recovery.

in10city
04-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Some research has shown the opposite effect of pre-exercise Arginine on GH ...

Check these 2 studies out...
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=12938386&postcount=33

Oral arginine attenuates the growth hormone response to resistance exercise & Oral arginine does not stimulate basal or augment exercise-induced GH secretion in either young or old adults.

eurojjj19
04-24-2007, 01:44 PM
interesting, cuz i read about this in FLEX mag (pretty widely known mag). so they just go around printing random stuff? now i dont know which to believe.

zergling
04-24-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm not a fan of either arginine or glutamine. Not to mention if I take both on an empty stomach, it immediately sends me to the toilet :mad:

in10city
04-24-2007, 02:14 PM
interesting, cuz i read about this in FLEX mag (pretty widely known mag). so they just go around printing random stuff? now i dont know which to believe.
FLEX is a bit behind the times on many things... for example, they aren't scribing articles left and right on Beta-Alanine and they are promoting the use of melatonin pre-workout (latest research has shown no benefit) ...

Eur J Appl Physiol. 2006 Apr;96(6):729-39. Epub 2006 Feb 28.
Effects of resistance exercise session after oral ingestion of melatonin on physiological and performance responses of adult men.

Mero AA, Vahalummukka M, Hulmi JJ, Kallio P, von Wright A.
Department of Biology of Physical Activity, University of Jyvaskyla, 40014 Jyvaskyla, Finland. antti.mero@sport.jyu.fi

This study investigated the effects of a heavy resistance exercise session (RES) with the oral daytime ingestion of melatonin on the physiological responses and acute performance. In a randomized and double-blind controlled study 10 healthy male subjects undertook an 80 min intensive hypertrophic RES for major muscles of the lower and upper extremities. The subjects were studied on two occasions receiving either melatonin (6 mg) or placebo (6 mg) in random order 60 min before each RES. Blood samples were taken from an antecubital vein both in fasting conditions in the morning and before RES (pre 60 min, pre 0 min), during RES (middle) and after RES (post 0 min, post 15 min, post 30 min, post 60 min). Maximal jumping ability and maximal strength in bench press and squat were measured before and immediately after RES in which there were no differences between the melatonin and placebo groups. The serum melatonin concentration increased significantly (P<0.05-0.001) in the melatonin group following oral ingestion of melatonin and was elevated at every time point after that. The concentration reached a peak value of 1171.3+/-235.2 pg/ml in 60 min at pre 0. Serum melatonin increased slightly but significantly (P<0.05) also in the placebo group just before RES, in the middle of RES and after RES (post 0, post 15). There were large differences (P<0.01-0.001) in the serum melatonin concentration between the groups at all time points. There were no differences in the growth hormone (GH), testosterone and cortisol peak concentrations at any time points between the groups but the area under the curve of GH during RES (P<0.01) and during the 60 min after RES (P<0.05) was lower in the melatonin condition. In conclusion, the present findings give evidence that oral ingestion of melatonin (6 mg) during daytime with heavy resistance exercise may slightly decrease GH concentrations. On the other hand, it seems that melatonin administration during daytime does not have any acute (1-2 h) effects either on the maximal jumping ability or on the maximal strength.

PMID: 16506061 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

-----

Endocrinology. 2005 Mar;146(3):1541-52. Epub 2004 Nov 18.
Direct effect of melatonin on Syrian hamster testes: melatonin subtype 1a receptors, inhibition of androgen production, and interaction with the local corticotropin-releasing hormone system.

Frungieri MB, Mayerhofer A, Zitta K, Pignataro OP, Calandra RS, Gonzalez-Calvar SI.
Instituto de Biologia y Medicina Experimental, Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Cientificas y Tecnicas, Vuelta de Obligado 2490, (1428) Buenos Aires, Argentina. mfrung@dna.uba.ar

Besides the hypothalamus and pituitary, melatonin action at the testicular level has been recently suggested. Therefore, we investigated in the Syrian hamster, a well-characterized seasonal breeder, melatonin action on Leydig cells, testicular expression of melatonergic receptors, and possible interactions between melatonin receptors and the previously identified testicular serotoninergic and CRH systems. In isolated Leydig cells from active testes of adult hamsters kept in a long-day (14 h light, 10 h dark) photoperiod and from regressed testes of adult animals exposed to a short-day photoperiod during 16 wk (6 h light, 18 h dark), melatonin significantly reduced human chorionic gonadotropin-stimulated production of cAMP and the main androgens: testosterone and androstane-3alpha,17beta-diol, respectively, and decreased the expression of steroidogenic acute regulatory protein, P450 side chain cleavage, 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase and 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase. In Leydig cells exposed to a short-day photoperiod during 16 wk, melatonin stimulated the conversion of testosterone into 5alpha-reduced androgens by inducing 5alpha-reductase isoform 1, and controlled androstane-3alpha,17beta-diol production by inhibiting 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase expression. Melatonin subtype (mel1a) receptors were detected in Leydig cells. Although the local serotonin system did not mediate melatonin action on androgen production, melatonergic effect on steroidogenesis involved the interaction between mel1a receptors and the inhibitory CRH system. Moreover, melatonin significantly increased CRH mRNA levels and production in hamster Leydig cells expressing CRH subtype 1 receptors. Our studies indicate that melatonin may act as a local inhibitor of human chorionic gonadotropin-stimulated cAMP and androgen production through mel1a receptors, down-regulation of steroidogenic acute regulatory protein, and key steroidogenic enzymes expression and its interaction with the local CRH system.