PDA

View Full Version : Pec Pain/Injury

bkeithb
04-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Recently I started doing straight-arm pullovers with dumbells as part of my HIT routine.

I was not familiar with this exercise and, evidently, used too much weight. As I did one set with 55lb db, I felt a sharp pain underneath my right pec. I finished the set but with some pain.

A couple of days later, I did tricep pushdowns (cable) and felt the same pain (but not as severe)

Yesterday I did chins (negative only) and the pain was still there.

I don't feel pain with other chest specific exercises (like BP's) or lifting in general.

Here are my questions:

1. Someone suggested this was an intercostal muscle pull. Does that sound right to you?

2. Should I avoid the exercises that aggrevate this injury completely for a while or should I back down on the weight and go ahead?

3. How long does it take to heal this kind of a pull?

4. Can I do anything about it? ... to help the healing process?

Advice is appreciated! Thanks!

bkeithb
04-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Bumping this ... REALLY NEED ADVICE

HALON
04-23-2007, 02:34 AM
2. Should I avoid the exercises that aggrevate this injury completely for a while or should I back down on the weight and go ahead?

Its best to avoid any exercises that would further aggravate this injury, you dont want to increase the damage. but you can do anything as long as it does not hurt.

3. How long does it take to heal this kind of a pull?

It depends on how bad the injury is and what you did in treating it after it happened. If you stopped the exercise right away, iced the injury to prevent any swelling this can cut healing time in half.

4. Can I do anything about it? ... to help the healing process?

If you dont have any swelling around the injury site, use a heat pad every few hours, this increases blood circulation, and speeds healing. You can still exercise just, just becareful not to aggravate the injury.

1. Someone suggested this was an intercostal muscle pull. Does that sound right to you?

Could be, but only a doctor can diagnose this.