PDA

View Full Version : Elbow clicking

Lean_and_Mean
04-20-2007, 11:12 AM
When I do a curling motion my right elbow clicks. Sometimes if I flex my arm while curling or extending my arm the clicking hurts. Isolation exercises for the triceps hurt the elbow joint too, although I rarely do them. I can hyper extend both arms a little, but I have always been able to do this so I think it is genetic. Could this clicking be from locking out on movements like bench press, clean and jerk, and military press too quickly and extending the elbow past its normal range of motion? What should I do?

Lean_and_Mean
04-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Bump.

nayen
04-26-2007, 09:04 PM
bro i have this same problem in all my joints. i am a 21 yr old guy with ectomorph body. I have have

been following anthony ellis routine for a few months now. but lately i am having this

symptom. all of my joints (elbow, knee, crotch and now my spine) make this wierd "clicking"

sound often when i move them. is this because of lifting very heavy weights (weights i am

capable of doing 2/4 reps of powerlifting)?

Davecox
04-27-2007, 07:51 PM
I had clicking in my joints when I was a boxer. My problem was caused by the tendons not being stretched properly and over exercised causing scar tissue build up. They were stiff and popped when flexed.
I gave my joints a rest for a couple weeks while using ice packs to reduce swelling, an EMS machine (muscle stimulator) to strengthen without stress, massaged the areas with vitamin E oil (helps to reduce scar tissue), did multiple stretching exercises and increased my water intake.

In two weeks the clicking reduced but it took around 3 to 4 months before it finally stopped completely. If you are concerned see your doctor, it may be something more.

justinluck
11-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Hey guys, I thought I'd bump this thread that I found through a Google search because I have a similar problem.

My left elbow experiences painless crunching or clicking sounds. I not only hear them, but also feel the clicks inside of my elbow. They do not hurt, but I know they aren't normal either and I have had to stop most of training because I don't want it gettting worse. The elbow sounds occur during any pressing or pulling exercises and also when I rotate my left forearm while my elbow is bent (think of turning a screwdriver or a door knob).

The problem started a few weeks ago when I was doing a new pushup routine for about two months. I was trying to work up to accomplishing one arm pushups and during some sets, I would try leaning most of my body weight onto one arm on the down movement, alternating between arms for each set. I was also performing pullups and would somtimes try to lower myself with more of the weight on one arm.

My right elbow is fine. But my left elbow clicks anytime I rotate my forearm with the arm flexed. Has anyone else experienced this?

mc-
11-19-2009, 04:50 PM
there's something called "crepetis" that is cracking, popping noises that don't hurt. So bottom line, if they don't hurt no worries. You may find that as you warm up the pops/clicks go down.

but basically, if it don't hurt, no worries.

if you do get a tingling sensation yes that can mean that you have wound the nerve in an uncomfortable way at that moment - not that something is necessarily squished all the time.

good to have a coach check your movement for good form.
if you haven't done that yet with a qualified pro, it's a great experience, and may well save you injuries down the road.

best
mc

braindx
11-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Most elbow injuries involving improper tracking are much like the knee on two counts...

If the strength balance of the biceps/triceps (anterior/posterior) complex gets out of balance there can be lots of problems with correct tracking of the articular surfaces in the joints.

Same with improper imbalances with bars. For example, we do have a carrying angle where when we flex the forearm our forearms naturally come inside a bit. Problem is if you use a lot of barbells or fixed grip width it can eventually start grinding on the articular surfaces medially/laterally which may lead to problems.

Anytime you're getting improper tracking like any of the two cases above you're going to have problems with clicking, cracking, popping, and possibly pain.

Basically, stick to dumbells and make sure you're using proper form. Also, make sure your triceps/biceps work is balanced.

rockyj15
01-11-2015, 02:28 AM
I have been having this issue for about 1-2 months.

google:"medscape+elbow injury" and check out the overview link

Overview of almost all elbow injuries.
If you are looking for home remedies:
-modify your workout, rest affected area, use anti-inflammitories as needed (stressing as needed), and use a support brace if needed.

Brozef
03-09-2015, 03:45 PM
^ good 1st post, long time coming haha

I have had this clicking elbow issue for a few weeks now, happened from doing dips I think. My right elbow crunches when put through its range of motion, and especially when moving weight. No pain or swelling. It also pops randomly when I straighten my arm.

Resting for 3 weeks has done nothing at all.

Most elbow injuries involving improper tracking are much like the knee on two counts...

If the strength balance of the biceps/triceps (anterior/posterior) complex gets out of balance there can be lots of problems with correct tracking of the articular surfaces in the joints.

Same with improper imbalances with bars. For example, we do have a carrying angle where when we flex the forearm our forearms naturally come inside a bit. Problem is if you use a lot of barbells or fixed grip width it can eventually start grinding on the articular surfaces medially/laterally which may lead to problems.

Anytime you're getting improper tracking like any of the two cases above you're going to have problems with clicking, cracking, popping, and possibly pain.

Basically, stick to dumbells and make sure you're using proper form. Also, make sure your triceps/biceps work is balanced.

Now for my case the bolded part sounds like it could apply to me. I have been taking it easy on biceps for months and working triceps regularly.

My elbow is most noisy when pushing (dips, extensions etc) and makes much less noise when pulling (rows, curls etc).

_______

umayrH1
05-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Guys someone help me out my elbow clicking started last week randomly while curling. It clicks whenever i do a curling motion then unclicks when i straighten my arm. This is my left arm by the way and the clicking doesn't really hurt its just annoying me when i lift. What do i do to stop this resting for 4 days has done nothing so far :(

valb06
01-20-2018, 04:15 PM
same here bro it really annoying and im 11 help what do i do