PDA

View Full Version : ACL Reconstruction - Recovery Workout

SSMAT04
04-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Hey everyone-

Last October I had a ACL Reconstruction Surgery because i tore it playing college soccer. I've just been cleared to play again, and i have been but it's still not 100 %. I went through P-T, did everything right, and i'm looking to come back better and stronger than before. What sort of leg workouts should i do to even out the strength of my two legs? The injured one has been growing with time, but so has the other one (obviously), and it just seems like they'll never be the same. So far, leg press, leg extentions, hamstring flexion, deadlifts and squats. I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through this before, and looking for advice.

Thanks

Big Daddy Shane
04-19-2007, 08:15 PM
I had an ACL reconstruction 5 years ago. the only leg exercises i do are:

Leg Press
Squats
Hack Squats
SLDL
BLDL
leg curls
calves.

avoid leg extensions.

and you're right, your legs will never be the same.

goodluck

BDS

SSMAT04
04-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks i appreciate it. Definately yeah, leg extentions are pretty painful. What are Hack Squats?

tim290280
04-19-2007, 09:12 PM
I did my ACL place a few other bits of damage to the knee.

Do as much single leg work as possible, especially dynamic and balancing work. Bulgarian squats, lunges, pistols are great for this, plus the single leg SLDL's and the like for the hammys. Hammy work was really important for me as I had the graft taken from the hamstring. Took a long time to get the strength back, let alone size there! Hammy curls won't help that much. Although do them with toes flexed on the way up, and pointed on the way down (slow descent), does help a bit too. Also accept that while you may get the strength back (my strength is better than before the injury), it will never be 100%, especially dynamic actions.

I don't know what your physio was smoking but I was allowed to return to playing footy before they would let me near a leg extension! My physios were also not fans of exercises that didn't involve standing on the ground (I.e. leg presses, etc).

SSMAT04
04-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Awesome thanks. i went through 5 months of physical therapy doing stuff with swiss balls and balancing disc squats. I only really started to hit the weight room at school about 2 months before i was cleared to play, along with doing agility exercises. I was just looking for stuff to really add some more mass to my leg. But thanks a lot, the single leg stuff should really help.

Ripnlean
08-13-2009, 06:35 PM
had surgery 5 mo's ago
started squats and leg curls and dead lifts 3 mo's after surgery
leg still hurts
not yet cleared to play

DO NOT DO LEG EXTENSIONS whatsoever,
You can actually pull out the ACL out of its place and tear it again.
So i;ve been told