PDA

View Full Version : High protein

waz
03-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Does anyone have a good recipe for a high protein meal not including meat or fish (dont have much round the house for me to cook with) and i am 14 so i just have to use stuff from around the house.

Cardinal
03-07-2004, 11:44 AM
milk+peanut butter+ oatmeal
cottage cheese+anything(nuts, berries etc)

basically see if you have some milk or cheese around the house and make a meal around that.

If you have any soy products for some crazy reason you could go with that option too.

I suggest you find a way to stock up on some cheap meats/protein powders etc. At least get a massive supply of tuna cheaply so that you don't flat run out of protein.

dso
03-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Egg Whites.

Make an egg white omlet w/ mushrooms, and green pepper.....and dip it in low fat Parmision Basil Italian salad dressing. Man thats good. I use about 7 egg whites.

waz
03-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Cardinal

basically see if you have some milk or cheese around the house and make a meal around that.

For example?

I eat alot of tuna and eggs. Is cheddar cheese going to do more bad than good because thats what i have at home

zackmurphy
03-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by waz
For example?

I eat alot of tuna and eggs. Is cheddar cheese going to do more bad than good because thats what i have at home

In moderation, cheddar is okay, but it depends what your goals are. If you're concerned with protein, you're probably trying to put on muscle, so you'd probably shy away from it. There are some 2% milkfat cheeses if you just want some cheese on stuff. And the Alpine Lace cheeses are okay.

In moderation they're fine. But if you're a bodybuilder and you're cutting, you skip the cheese.

Do you just not like red meat and fish? What about chicken? You eat tuna and eggs, so you're not a vegetarian or vegan. Will you eat chicken?

Cardinal
03-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Cheddar cheese isn't the best fat source in the world so I don't think the full fat variety would make such a great protein source by itself. You get a large amount of fat for a small serving of protein. Not the best of tradeoffs. Given the choice, I would almost always pick tuna or eggs over full fat cheddar cheese.

See if you can find some fat free cheese at your local supercenter or get something like part skim mozarella or some kraft cheese that is made with a little lower fat (so that you get more protein per slice).

I usually take most of my dietary fats from olive oil, nuts, and fish oils + moderate amounts of saturated fats to achieve a balance.

If you are constantly worried about finding good protein sources in addition to eggs/tuna/cheese/milk products but can't go with meat, buy a bulk protein powder and keep it around the house for those times when just can't find anything.

Check out w w w . b u l k n u t r i t i o n . c o m for protein powders if you don't already have a place you buy from.