PDA

View Full Version : Calcaneal Bursitis - Help

jcff
04-19-2007, 11:42 PM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s54/speedyclaxton_2007/achillesheel.gif

Bodyworks: Calcaneal Bursa
By Patrick Milroy

Symptoms
Where the tendon joins the calcaneal bone, friction can cause the spaces between the tendon, bone and skin to swell and inflame with bursitis. This constitutes a calcaneal bursa. Apart from swelling over the back of the heel, you?ll feel acute tenderness and pain when you move it or even apply light pressure.

Signs
Your swollen heel may look more red than the other one, and the swelling is often so hard it can feel like bone ? partly because it sometimes is, as a bony overgrowth can occur in chronic cases.

Medical investigations
Probably unnecessary, except to exclude differential diagnoses.

Differential diagnoses
Both stress and complete fractures equal a calcaneal bursa in intensity and pain, so must be eliminated by x-ray or scan.

Self-treatment
If you avoid pressure you will ease the pain, so bigger shoes, soft padding, or avoiding heel backs by using sandals or running without shoes can help. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory tablets and ice are the other staple treatments.

Medical treatment
If physio and self-administered therapy fail, a cortisone injection into the bursa may deflate it, although surgery to remove the bursa and excess bone may be the final solution.

Can you run through it?
With pain, runners sometimes do, but probably at the expense of worsening the bursa.

Recovery time
After surgery, the usual rehabilitation and training downgrade mean that racing will be three to six months away.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=209
__________________________________________________ _______________

Im currently injured with this for 2 years, it went on and off for 3X but unfortunately this time around bout 8 months now cant fix it. I think the acute has turned into chronic stage now and its really troubling me.

3X Solutions That Worked Before And History

A- Worked: I was asked by my orthopedic doctor to exercise daily on the stairs by hanging the half of the foot and it worked.
Didnt Worked: Had a cortisone injection on the heel, had relief but not for long.

B- Worked: Changed to new shoes and relief progressed within weeks til gone

C- Didnt Worked: Changed to a new orthopedic doctor advised = underwent RICE + physical therapy + personal eccentric/coeccentric exercises at home, Cortisone Injections on the heel, had relief but not for long.
Worked: Referred to a dealer of arch support and advised to use it on new shoes.

My sitaution now worsen because a swelling Bursa(see above pic) has developed unlike before it was only the heel that was affected. I really need help because my doctor said that the last option is a debridgement surgery but still cant be assured after 50/50. I was asked to use heel cups as of now but damn it hurts more so i discontinued. Cortisone injection on the bursa wasnt recommended due to the fact that the achilles tendon might rupture because its near.

And NO its not a partially or totally ruptured achilles tendon(see above pic its just near) :)

Benji Snap
06-20-2007, 06:44 AM
do u have flat feet ? flat feet when u are standing with ur weight on them ?

jcff
06-20-2007, 09:33 PM
do u have flat feet ? flat feet when u are standing with ur weight on them ?

Nope eversince im not flat footed.

utsavpandey
07-13-2007, 06:16 PM
I've got the same damn problem. It used to hurt sometimes before but for the past 2 months, its worsened. It never hurts so much that I cannot walk or run, its just a mild discomfort and just goes away afer some activity ... but still, its so annoying. And I have been working so hard to prepare for my soccer try-out and now, its just 1 and a half month away ... so, I cannot afford to rest. So, I just heat it before I begin an activity then ice it afterwards, take some anti-inflamatory, changed into a new shoe... sometimes its better sometimes worse but it wont go away ... possibly because I have to run two times a day and also practice soccer with those tight cleats on. The only time I can rest if after 4-5 months when winter starts and the soccer season gets over.

Anyone have better ideas, please let me know.