PDA

View Full Version : I had X-Ray, MRI, and I have PULLED lower back...

MonarchX
04-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I didn't want to do MRI but with new insurance it ended up being cheap.

I don't have any problems via X-Ray or MRI with my back.

I simply have pulled lower back muscle. Doctors say "stay away from gym, sharp movements, let it rest for 3 weeks".

Thing is that it had nothing to do with the gym.

I went to the gym for 2 weeks and stayed away from squats, crunches, and anything that involves lower back.

It was going OK until this morning when I simply bent over sharply while brushing teeth!

Now the pain is back again!

This is just taking forever and its irritating.

I don't know what to do... if it takes a SLIGHT unplanned movement for the damn thing to start again then I can never use lower back again...

GORILLAWARRIOR
04-19-2007, 07:36 PM
I feel ya bro i just got a cotizone **** today for 2 herniated discs, disc compression and arthritis... Search google for back rehab exercises. Ive got my own set now.. Getting much better. Staying away from squats, wearing a belt, gettin my abs stronger.. stay stretched out!! the tighter you are, the more likely youll get hurt.. The looser you get that area, the less margin for error. PM me if ya want to know anymore..I been thru alot, shoulder surgery, back prob, knee probs..still growing tho..all natural.. just about the way u hit your muscles groups- leave your ego at the door and feel the burn..

I didn't want to do MRI but with new insurance it ended up being cheap.

I don't have any problems via X-Ray or MRI with my back.

I simply have pulled lower back muscle. Doctors say "stay away from gym, sharp movements, let it rest for 3 weeks".

Thing is that it had nothing to do with the gym.

I went to the gym for 2 weeks and stayed away from squats, crunches, and anything that involves lower back.

It was going OK until this morning when I simply bent over sharply while brushing teeth!

Now the pain is back again!

This is just taking forever and its irritating.

I don't know what to do... if it takes a SLIGHT unplanned movement for the damn thing to start again then I can never use lower back again...

HALON
04-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Back injuries are one of the longest to heal. It took 4 years to make my back 100%.

Try applying heat pads to your back everyday, this can make healing faster.
Massage therapy would be good, it releases toxins from the muscle and promotes healing.
Now would be good time to strengthen your abs and core muscles, try pilates it helped me when I injured my back.
Try doing some light exercises, remember if it hurts dont do it.
Did you apply ice to your back when you injured it?

MonarchX
04-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Back injuries are one of the longest to heal. It took 4 years to make my back 100%.

Try applying heat pads to your back everyday, this can make healing faster.
Massage therapy would be good, it releases toxins from the muscle and promotes healing.
Now would be good time to strengthen your abs and core muscles, try pilates it helped me when I injured my back.
Try doing some light exercises, remember if it hurts dont do it.
Did you apply ice to your back when you injured it?

The injury itself is nothing. its a PULLED MUSCLE. Its nothing serious.

I have strong abs, but I don't use them. You can lift a weight by squatting with straight back or you can bend and use lower back muscle.

I do the second. I rarely contract abs and squat. Its a type of laziness...

I didn't apply anything. Only time heals this type of thing.

I just wonder if I should now completely stay away from the gym and let it completely heal or take my chances and just be real real careful with lifting (and not squat, deadlift, and crunch of course).

HALON
04-19-2007, 07:56 PM
If you applied ice right after your injury it can cut healing time by half. You can still go to the gym, but if it hurts dont do it.

MonarchX
04-19-2007, 07:58 PM
If you applied ice right after your injury it can cut healing time by half. You can still go to the gym, but if it hurts dont do it.

It hurts to bend over when my back is not straight. Regardless of what I do. My body weight without extra weights is enough to injure myself.

Mr.Quakers
04-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Something similar happened to me, so I figure I'll post it here:

The other day when I was deadlifting I had just pulled the bar past my knees and I felt my lower back pop twice. Pop like when you crack your back, not a big deal, it actually felt kinda good. Immediately after the left side of my lower back became very sore, like I pulled it. I just starting serious lifting, so I have been deadlifting for about a month, and I would consider my form a little sloppy. I was doing 5 sets of 5 with 225. This has happened to me twice before, once the first time I deadlifted, and another time when I was just messing around playing basketball. It usually goes away in 4 days or less, but I don't know if it is something to be worried about.

Any idea as to what happened/what I should to to heal and prevent it in the future?

dgb11003
04-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Man, sounds like when I pinched a nerve in my back which gave me sharp pains in my back and my neck....it took seriously like 3 months for it to feel better, but I still had traces of pain in my back for a while. I'd say rehab and a year before I felt like myself again.

robbie4x4
04-22-2007, 08:00 PM
When working out with a back injuries your body tends to use other muscles to compensate for the injury. your back was injured again because of tight back muscles. And yes, this is usually when it happens. let the back rest, **stretch**, and try walking to keep fit. nothing that will jar you though.